Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Islander
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Re: Another Excalibur 26

tdlpps, I enjoyed reading your adventure. Thanks for taking the time to share it, and for not editing out the hard parts and lessons learned!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2012

tdlpps is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much. At some point soon I've got to update the thread. My Excalibur has moved twice and has finally settled into her permanent slip in Alamitos Bay and has received new standing rigging, sails, a furler and new hull paint.

The last year has really flown by.

Out of the water for the first time in years:

After paint:

Old 05-10-2012

The "after paint" photo looks like a showroom boat. Beautiful!

I stumbled upon your blog when searching for more info on the Excalibur 26. Great read.

Todd Lipps's Blog

I have a question, is the mast stepped on the cabin top? If so is it hinged? Couldn't find that info anywhere. Thanks for giving the headroom as just over five feet, it's hard to find that on most boats, you are the only one I've seen mention it.
Old 05-11-2012

The mast is deck-stepped and tabernacled although I can't see using it to lower the overall height. It would be a lot of work.

I mentioned the cabin height because I'm 6'3" and have to duck way over to work my way through the cabin. The sailing qualities make up for the tight quarters. She's reasonably fast and really sweet to sail.

My blog is behind as well. I have about four posts in various states of edit that are due to be posted, as well as more pictures of the paint job. I have found two other Excaliburs in Alamitos Bay and am always on the lookout for more.

If any of you have any information, stories or pictures of your or other Excaliburs, I'd really like to have them. I'm trying to put together a photo record and definitive history from people who know the story, knew Bill Crealock, are current or previous owners and post up as many high resolution pictures as I can find.

Thanks for your participation.
Old 05-11-2012

Thank you! You are the one doing all the work and sharing great information, I'm just enjoying reading about the boat - never having seen one. If I see one I'll take photos for you.

Are there lobster or crab pots in your area? I wonder how the almost plumb leading edge of the keel does going through those areas. Here in Maine it's common to see lobster pots looking like - I don't know - popcorn spilled on the kitchen floor. They represent a lot of work and investment for the fishermen, I hate the idea of snagging one when out just for recreation.

I like the way the keel is much deeper than the rudder, having seen rudders bent and locked from hitting ledge.
Old 05-11-2012

I hit some unknown keyboard combination that submitted my last post as I typed, I wasn't quite done.

The "lot of work" on stepping the mast can often be overcome by using "lots of leverage" instead of "lots of money". Due to our fierce winters most pleasure boats are hauled each year here in Maine.

Somewhere I read a thread about an owner who tied to a bridge with friends overhead to lift the mast in an attempt to save money. People called the police and reported a sailboat crashed or stuck on the bridge! It worked fine, but the police asked him not to come back.

I tried to imagine where this was (here in Maine) and could only think of the bridge to Cousin's Island, but that always has quite a current running under it. Later I found out that was the actual bridge he used.

I'd be afraid to do that bridge method, though I admired the guy for doing it - I'm a do it yourself type person. I wouldn't be afraid to step it with a gin pole or A frame and winches, if I felt I had a workable plan.

Does it look like the tabernacle is hinged (gin pole would work), or does the mast drop onto it from above ( high A frame necessary)?
Old 05-11-2012

The tabernacle is hinged and would provide enough movement to release a stay and lower the mast with several bodies and some mechanical assistance. Fortunately, our winters are mild and the boats stay in the water year round. I also only have one local bridge I can't fit under and don't have any reason to go under or past it, so that isn't an issue.

We do have pots in the area but the number are pretty small. I'm sure there are many, many more in the northeast than there are here. They are still a hazard, though, and we have to look out for them. I like having the big keel underneath the boat and it does offer some limited protection to the rudder and stable upwind performance, but I can see getting pretty tightly fouled on something with the nearly vertical leading edge.
Old 05-11-2012

I found this information for New England PHRF handicapping:

PHRF-NE HANDICAPS - 23 April 2012

BOAT ............................................... HANDICAP

ISLANDER 26 EXCALIBUR .........................228

Fast!
Old 05-11-2012

I have another question that can't be found by searching the net, so only someone with an actual boat to look at can answer it.

Is the interior of the Excalibur built entirely of wood against the fiberglass hull (like the Bristols I've seen) or is there a fiberglass liner trimmed in wood - like most of the modern boats?
Old 05-12-2012

There is no fiberglass liner in any of the boats I've seen. The interior is a mix of expensive hardwoods where it is easily seen and cheaper woods where it's hidden. All of the interior fiberglass is finished, but bare. The surface is generally smooth but some fiberglass texture is still present in some areas. Spartan, but light and it does the job.

The dinette is roomy for two but tight for any more. The v-berth is tight and probably claustraphobic for full sized adults. I've only slept on the double dinette berth. The starboard quarter berth is reasonably sized.