SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Another Excalibur 26

13K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  CharlzO 
#1 ·
Good evening.

I just purchased a 1967 Excalibur from two owners in San Diego and will be ferrying it to Dana Point sometime in March. I will be replacing the outboard in the well with a new motor before I attempt to move it. I also know that there are several current or former owners on the Sailnet board. I would like to use a 25" XL shaft outboard, 6 or 9.8 hp, but according to the drawings I've seen, I have concerns that the foot and prop might hit the rudder with the XL motor.

Have any of you used a 25" motor in the well without issue? If so, can you tell me what combinations have definitely worked for you and anything you tried that hasn't? Or...any other suggestions as far as putting a new four stroke in the well.

Thanks for your help.

#29 · (Edited)
In fact, I'd figured on doubling the lower shrouds already. That's an easy project. I was also going to build a bridgedeck to make the cockpit a bit more heavy-weather-safe..

If pulling the floorboards and making more, and more substantial stringers would help the issue, then that's not too hard, either.

On the other hand, when I sailed them for teaching classes, they impressed me as being built like the proverbial brick ****house, but yet still quick enough to cover some ground. The SF Bay PHRF rating is 217. The boat I'll buy will be <28 feet, and I'd really prefer something with a PHRF rating under 200. The Excalibur is a bit slower than that but on the other hand it doesn't have a hull liner, and most 70's era boats that I can afford, DO have liners.

I figure, the boats are almost 50 years old. They've had fifty years to fall apart from lousy design or shoddy workmanship, and haven't done so, yet.

Last time I went across I took a Santa Cruz 27, but the flat out truth is that I'm not an aggressive enough of a sailor to really need that boat, and there are "issues" with the SC27 in terms of sleeping arrangements on the long-term.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.