Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Islander
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012

joelozzy is on a distinguished road
Need Volvo MD6 Parts

I'm specifically looking for an exhaust manifold on a Volvo MD6. Had corrosion forming around the 'T' fitting on the bottom side of the manifold and took it in to have my machinist friend sandblast clean. Unfortunately the corrosion went all the way through, so now have a gaping hole where the female threads were located for the 'T' fitting.

Any help would be much appreciated. If I can find parts, then I'll try limping through this summer until I can afford to repower next year.

~Joel Osburn
Juneau, AK
S/V Optiminium
1976 Islander 28
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Re: Need Volvo MD6 Parts

Joe,

You didn't say which model of MD6 you have, but I expect the Volve Penta store will have what you want. I've never used them and don't know anything about them, so you're on your own there.

Anyway, take a look at this page and choose the appropriate "Cooling System, Induction- And Exhaust Manifold" hyperlink for your model under Cooling System - 7742080

If you find a better place to buy, be sure to share it here. There are a great many Islanders with Volvo Pentas.

Regards,

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Old 06-17-2012

The MD6A&B models are virtually identical. And because this version of the Volvo small block diesels had such a short-lived ('75-'76) production run, it's almost impossible to find parts 37 years later for a cast exhaust manifold. I'm still able to find regular seals/impellers/filters/etc (small parts) for the motor.

I was able to track down a company on the east coast, French Creek Marine (NY), that made SS manifolds as an aftermarket replacement, but they're retailing for ~$1500.

Our Alaskan summer is already 1/2 over, so I'm looking at salvaging what's left of the season by installing a kicker bracket & 9.9hp Xlong shaft outboard, just to get out of the harbor. If anyone knows of where I might find an exhaust manifold (Volvo P/N 840211), please pass on the info. I'm sure there's a nice factory-painted piece sitting on a shelf in a diesel repair shop somewhere. Unfortunately, it's probably in Sweden...
Old 06-18-2012

$1500!? Ouch! At that price I would investigate a custom fabrication of an adapter so you could use a more common part.

Good luck, Joe!
Pasadena, MD
Old 06-18-2012

dacab06,
Elaborate on 'adapter' for the manifold? Not sure of what you're talking about. The cooling ports have to match between the manifold & the motor in order to properly get the raw water where it needs to go. Elaborate here, as I'm a very amateur mechanic. Thanks. ~Joel
Old 06-19-2012

It isn't something you could do. It would require a metal shop to design and cast a "spacer" where on one side the water holes and bolt holes align with said holes on the block, while on the other they align with said holes in the new part. Channels lead from the coolant hole on one side to the other. With all the MD6 series still running they would sell a grunch of them over time, and the design cost should be amortized accordingly.

It sounds to me like your only other choices are to ante up the 1.5K or else replace your engine. Both sound pretty unpalatable to me.
Pasadena, MD

Last edited by dacap06; 06-19-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2012

"With all the MD6 series still running they would sell a grunch of them over time, and the design cost should be amortized accordingly.

It sounds to me like your only other choices are to ante up the 1.5K or else replace your engine. Both sound pretty unpalatable to me. "

Wow, thanks for the great information! My motor is an MD6B, in production for roughly 9 months. There weren't many made back in 1975, and those still running are in short supply. Granted the 6A was identical, save for the dynastarter, but this precursor model is up to 4 years older than a 6B.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone out there with an MD7 (the replacement for the small block MD6) has experimented with their exhaust manifolds like dacabs mentioned? Or, more importantly, if you know of a parts source for MD7's?

BTW, not looking for moral support here, nor a quick fix. Why else would they call our boats 'labors of love'?
Old 06-20-2012

SailingforJoy is on a distinguished road

Hello joelozzy
I just posted almost the same as yours just today.
Seems we are both in the same boat. I am in the process of getting my MD6A up and running - and yesterday I found a major crack in the exhaust manifold.
I too have been burning the hours on line trying to find one. Thus far no one to be found, here in the FL area.
I am not sure if repowering is the best. I am like most sailors, sailing on a shoestring.
If you find anything out give a shout!
Thanks - Dave
sailing for joy
Old 06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelozzy View Post
BTW, not looking for moral support here, nor a quick fix. Why else would they call our boats 'labors of love'?
Why, indeed. Good luck with your problem.
Pasadena, MD
Old 06-21-2012

'tis a shame that we're a couple of the only MD6 guys out here Dave. And figures we're looking for the same part! Well I haven't found anything yet, a friend down in the Virginia area is trying to contact his cousin, who's a boat mechanic on the Chesapeake. If that doesn't pan out, then I'll be all out of ideas. I'm already out of patience, as I went & purchased a garelick outboard bracket, and am looking for a cheap 10hp outboard to salvage the summer sailing season. We only get 3-4 months of summer at best in Southeast AK, and this year we had no May, and most of June's been wet & cold.

I'm going to keep my feelers out through the fall & early winter, but if I have no manifold by then - this old motor is getting donated to the local diesel repair program at the University. Hopefully that doesn't happen...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.