Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Islander
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012

Creager is on a distinguished road
Re: How Does Your Islander Sail?

I have an 1974 Islander 30 MK II. This weekend we had a steady 13-15 knts with some sustained gusts up to 21. I had a 130 and main up and never reefed. Boat sailed great the whole time. When the gusts hit while going to windward I would get a noticable weather helm but could ease the headsail a bit and reduce the heal without loosing too much speed. Beam and broad reach was great with 5-6 knots hull speed and very little heal. I sail on a lake and most of the time the wind is light. I concluded this Islander is not a light air boat but is ideal between 10 and 20. 20 being the point where I either reef the main or go to a smaller headsail.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2012

harbin2 is on a distinguished road

I have an 81 Bahama 30. I'm very pleased with the way it sails. It is very fast in light winds. I can usually get 6 kts in less than 10 true to windward and easily get 6.5 off the wind. I have an older 110 and a new 140 genoa. With the 140, I can point to 45 degrees. 48 to 50 with the 110. With either genoa reefed, pointing is much worse - a little over 50. In 20 to 25 kts, off the wind, I have had the boat at 8.5 kts numerous times with average speeds over 7.5 over several miles. I often pass boats much larger than mine but I'm always minding trim etc.
On the other hand, I feel the boat IS tender. My main is old but I find I might as well reef it in anything over 10 kts sustained. It only has one reef point. I've thought about having a second one added since in anything over 20, it is mostly luffing with the reef.
I do have some reservations about the boat but the way it sails is not one of them.
harbin2, Northern Chesapeake Bay
Old 04-24-2013

milkehmc is on a distinguished road

update:

New Elliptical rudder is functional. better performance. There is significantly less weather helm in good wind. interesting, under power there is less tendency to for boat to veer to starboard from prop wash. almost none at all. But i miss that in maneuvering. We used to use the prop wash as a tool for docking a maneuvering. We could turn her in our own boat length. But now there is significantly less prop wash.

We had a new furler put on and replaced back and fore-stays. Looking forward to trying it out in two weeks on Race To the Straits.

Then this week was servicing Winches and found out one of Lewmar 40 primary winch broke. required new Spindle. and you cannot get a new Spindle. We searched for used 40ST 2 speed to no avail. Then Found a couple lewmar Evo at Minney's Yacht Surplus in Costa Mesa. Having them shipped to Seattle. One always hopes the hole pattern will match from 1983 to today, but it never seems to somehow. So we get to check core condition.

Lots of new gear for Race To Straits. Hoping for good show (meaning not last). racing against 100 other boats from moore 20 to 70 foot sleds for 60 miles. Should be a good test.
Old 04-25-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I had an Islander 32 (the Bob Perry design). She was a good sailing boat. Really stiff, even in a lot of breeze, right up to the point the rudder couldn't steer her.

The best I ever did with her was 8.6 knots (GPS) in about 25 knots of wind, a little forward of abeam. The funny thing was that about that time I needed to fall off about ten degrees and found that I had no rudder control at all.

Some days, I still wish I had her instead of the Catalina 42 I replaced her with. It sure was a lot easier to take her out by myself or with non-sailing crew.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 07-02-2013

nestorph is on a distinguished road

After my Islander 28 was lost in Hurricane Sandy, I picked up an Islander 30 Bahama (1983) in Rhode Island. I spent a few months driving the 200 miles on alternate weekends to get her prepped. Finally, two weekends ago, my three-to-four man crew sailed down from Rhode Island, across Long Island Sound, down the East River past Hell Gate and across Raritan Bay to her home port in Keyport, NJ. She sailed beyond my expectations! Our first leg was a gorgeous day with 20 knot winds. She was so well balanced that we were able to lock the wheel and not touch it for hours! That day we were averaging 6 knots and hit 7.2 on occasion. We had a lot of fun motoring down the East River. We caught the high tide at City Island and headed south. At one point, my knot meter was registering 6.5 knots while my GPS was reporting that our SOG was almost 11 knots. We zipped down in no time, swung around the tip of Manhattan, picked up additional passengers the new Liberty Landing Marina and headed home. A great three-day trip!