Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Islander
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012

cledus02 is on a distinguished road
Islander 28 waste tank

Hey all,

I have a 1976 Islander 28. My waste tank is a bladder. It is installed under the starboard side of the v-berth at the same angle as the hull. It does not sit flat. Arnt bladders supposed to sit flat. what I am wondering is if this is the way they did it from the factory?

When it comes time to pump out it is a two man job. one guy to run the pump and one guy to push the down on the bladder to get it to suck anything out. Either I dont know what im doing, which is possible, or this just isnt right.

I am looking for a tank to fit in this spot. Does anyone know of one that does?
Or is there a better set up for this boat?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Re: Islander 28 waste tank

I suspect your waste bladder was a replacement.

While I don't know what how waste management was done in the I-28 originally, I do know that Islander used quite a few plastic tanks both for water and waste. Many times they used tanks from Ronco Plastics, which is still in business. I have found Ronco to be quite helpful when I had questions concerning my water tank.

If you want pumping to be a one man job, I'd recommend doing some careful management under your settee and perusing the Ronco Catalog for a tank that will fit. I was astounded at how many tank designs they have. If none of those work for you they do custom tanks as well.

Take a look at B145 in the PDF catalog (it's easy to search for B145 in Adobe Acrobat reader). It fits nicely under my starboard settee and might fit yours.

Overall, I'd wager you could replace your bladder with a tank and fittings installed for less than half a boat buck.

Tom
Pasadena, MD

Last edited by dacap06; 10-16-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-16-2012

Paul Comte is on a distinguished road

Our 1979 I28 still had the factory installed "Firestone" bag. Lord was it a stinky pig! I purchased a NAUTA (sp?) bag, additional fittings and installed it several years ago. I got a great deal on 12 gallons but if paying full price would go up one size.

Bags do want attention while pumping out if you want a good job of it. Just pumping will empty it most of the time but not completely. I always go for the flush rinse and second pumping... During pump out, I do lift the bag to puddle its contents under the drain fitting.

The bag is OK but I do wish I had gone with the absolute premium hoses, the standard quality product will become saturated and begin to pass odors.

So far, a "No Odor" (branded?) powder additive seems to work best keeping odors in check. That product came as a box of packets. Sorry the name escapes me now.

I also ran an extra long vent hose and included a loop to the top and most inboard parts of the head storage compartment. Since doing that, I have never filled the holding with water on a hard-driven port tack.

There is one other thing I would change if in a warmer climate. I'd add a treatment system to the flush water intake or install a tank for shore supplied flush water. I believe the lake water is a major source of the aromatic activity in a holding bag/tank...

Paul Comte
"Let's Go!"
Old 10-16-2012

Thanks for the replys.

I think putting a tank under the settee is probably the way I will go. Dependinging on the size of my water tank which is also under the same settee I should be able to fit a decent size holding tank there. I need to get to the boat and take some measurements.

Looking through the Ronco tanks I found one that I think would fit under the v berth.(I cant find my measurements for the space) It is only an 8 gallon tank. I think it is to small for a 4 to 5 day trip whitout being able to pump out.

Thanks
Cody
Old 10-21-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

My 1977 I-28 has a rigid poly waste tank under the stbd V birth just ahead of the bulkhead for the head. I am now guessing it was an upgrade done by a po? Anyone else with a poly waste tank in a 77 vintage I-28?

Down
Old 10-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
My 1977 I-28 has a rigid poly waste tank under the stbd V birth just ahead of the bulkhead for the head. I am now guessing it was an upgrade done by a po? Anyone else with a poly waste tank in a 77 vintage I-28?

Down
Thats the same spot as my bladder. I am looking for a tank to fit this spot. You wouldnt happen to know the part number and brand of the tank would you?

Thanks
Cody
Old 10-21-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

The conventional waste tank for an I28 is a rigid poly tank, installed under the staboard settee just aft of the head. And then the fresh water tank is installed just aft of the waste tank.

I don't know the profiles or numbers, but would expect there are some choices in terms of how long you want each tank to be vs the total length available for the two.

It may be more accurate to make up a cardboard dummy for the best/max fit, and then take measurements off the dummy and try them on Ronco or another tank supplier. You'll have to remove the entire plywood "base" that covers that area to really get good access, and while you are in there, you might want to add a PVC pipe or other conduit in case you want to run wires through that space, under or behind the tanks. (Which is a convenient way to get them from the mast & head aft to the panel.)
Old 10-23-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Cody,

I will be aboard for some fall sailing this week and if I can find any information on the tank I will share it. I don't recall any reference to it in my documents but I will look.

Down
Old 10-26-2012

Down

Thanks for taking a look. I hope you have a good sail.

Cody

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.