Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Islander
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013

bvermeer is on a distinguished road
I30 Mark II Profile Drawing

Hello fellow Islander owners!
Does anyone have a profile drawing of the Islander 30 Mark II? An interior layout drawing would also be very helpful. I have the I30 drawing and I'm trying to determine the differences between the I30 and the I30 Mark II.

Bert Vermeer
s/v Natasha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2013

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Re: I30 Mark II Profile Drawing

Bert,

Sorry, I don't have reference drawings of the I30-2, nor have I found any on the Internet.

However, I can tell you there's quite a difference between the I30 and the I30-2. You can read about some of the differences in this post.

Regards,

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Old 01-08-2013

Interesting information, and not a whole lot of other people are jumping on this bandwagon just yet. It will take a bit of convincing that the I30 and the I30 Mark II don't share the same hull and simply have updated interiors and perhaps a different rig. Again, I haven't seen a Mark II to be able to compare. I find it strange that I've seen lots of B30s and a lot more I30s, both quite distinctive from each other, and yet no I30 Mark IIs. Those Islander owners who claim their boats are Mark IIs (no documentation) have, in my opinion, an I30 hull, not the Bob Finch designed B30 hull. Of course, I'm not going to lose much sleep over this, I just don't believe everything on the Islander web sites.

Bert Vermeer
Old 01-08-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Scanned from an old (1975) book I've got, but no interior plan.. don't know if this will help much... FWIW I think this is the I30 MKII, quite different from the original, as you say, and that the B30 is an upgrade of this original 1970 design...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 01-08-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2013

Interesting! Sure looks like a Bahama. It's too bad the underbody isn't outlined, that would be the definitive view. Thanks for the info, I will add it to my collection.

Bert Vermeer
Old 01-08-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvermeer View Post
Interesting! Sure looks like a Bahama. It's too bad the underbody isn't outlined, that would be the definitive view. Thanks for the info, I will add it to my collection.

Bert Vermeer
Alstublieft!

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 01-13-2013

John Y. Jackson is on a distinguished road

Yes, I have interior and exterior. I just took pictures of both, and think they are attached to this. Note, the interior one shows the Dinette arrangement, however, some, mine included, did not have this, it has a fold down table on the bulkhead and couch/settee on both sides.

John Y. Jackson on Aquila, I 30 MK II sail number 462
Attached Thumbnails
I30 Mark II Profile Drawing-dsc_0-13-.jpg   I30 Mark II Profile Drawing-dsc_0-15-.jpg   I30 Mark II Profile Drawing-dsc_0-16-.jpg   I30 Mark II Profile Drawing-dsc_0-17-.jpg  
Faster likes this.
Old 01-13-2013

John

Thanks so much for these drawings! With the sail actually showing the Mark II designation I have to take these as gospel at the time. Too bad there is no year listed. Interestingly, the underbody is identical to the Islander 30 and not the Bahama 30. I have my suspicions that the Mark II is simply a development of the original Islander 30 designed by McGlasson, not by Bob Finch. Research continues.....
Old 01-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Now I'm confused:

This is the McGlasson I-30:

Even though there's no underbody profile it's difficult to believe the underbody here is going to be anything like the MKII images posted by John - in fact I'd strongly suspect its a full keel/attached rudder..

Clearly the MKII above, and the Bahama 30 below:

It seems logical that the McGlasson 30 (top) is the 'original', the 1970 Finch the 'MKII', and the B-30 a refinement of the Finch boat as they are very similar to each other in many ways (similar hull/deck, but new foils)....

Last edited by Faster; 01-13-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2013

Your confusion has clarified the issue for me!! I did not realize that the "McGlasson" I30 was the original, older design, I've never seen one of them. So although Finch designed both the I 30 Mark II and the Bahama, they are quite different boats both on deck and below, as well as underbody. Thank you for the information! I knew someone would have it sooner or later!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.