Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Islander
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013

nestorph is on a distinguished road
New I30 owner--lines to cockpit

I'm shortly taking ownership of an Islander 30 Bahama after Sandy took out my Islander 28. I had the latter fitted out for single-handed sailing which meant bringing back several lines to the cockpit including main halyard, two reef lines, lazy jacks, and the boom vang. Ironically, the smaller boat had more room on the deck for deck organizers and rope clutches. I'd be curious to know if anyone has done something similar on their 30 and would be willing to share pictures of the installation.
The second thing that surprised me was the lack of storage on the 30 compared to the 28. The latter had plenty of storage under the berths and in several areas near the V-berth. I wonder how others deal with storage if underway for longer periods of time.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2013

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Re: New I30 owner--lines to cockpit

Nestor,

I have not modified my lines so I can't help with that.

When I cruise, it's just my wife and me. She's partially disabled (mobility-challenged, or whatever the latest euphemism is) and can't climb easily, so we put our gear in the V-berth. I sleep in the quarter berth and she sleeps on one of the settees.

Tom
Pasadena, MD

Last edited by dacap06; 01-12-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-12-2013

kentg is on a distinguished road

Nestor,
I lead my main and a spin halyard aft last year. I have a double clutch on the starboard side of the hatch, along with harken cam cleats for the traveler and vang. On The port side I have the main sheet and traveler cleat. I moved a winch from the mast to the house top for the halyards. I left the lazy jacks and jib halyard at the mast because there is no more room, as you said. I will see if I have picks, if not I may get to the boat this weekend.

kent
Old 01-14-2013

Kent:
I think that combination would work perfectly for me. I look forward to the pics if you have them.
Nestor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentg View Post
Nestor,
I lead my main and a spin halyard aft last year. I have a double clutch on the starboard side of the hatch, along with harken cam cleats for the traveler and vang. On The port side I have the main sheet and traveler cleat. I moved a winch from the mast to the house top for the halyards. I left the lazy jacks and jib halyard at the mast because there is no more room, as you said. I will see if I have picks, if not I may get to the boat this weekend.

kent
Old 01-21-2013

I attached pics of both sides of the companionway. You can see how I set it up. I also attached a copy of the deck organizer, it was farther forward than I would like for a good lead, but with the headliner as far aft as I could reach. I used strap eyes to attach the turning blocks to the mast.

and about the fuel tank, the only stock size I have seen in brochures was 20 gallons.

kent
1981 Bahama 30 Jazzed
Attached Thumbnails
New I30 owner--lines to cockpit-all_20130104154022_4.jpg   New I30 owner--lines to cockpit-all_20130104154037_3.jpg   New I30 owner--lines to cockpit-all_20130104154040_2.jpg   New I30 owner--lines to cockpit-all_20130104154059_1.jpg  
Old 01-21-2013

Thanks, Kent. Those were very helpful. It's interesting that you attached the blocks directly to the mast. On my old boat, the PO had attached the blocks (stand up spring blocks) to the deck itself. I was also able to run reef lines aft. How do you deal with your reef lines? A pic of those would be great. The mast is down on the new boat, so I'm envisioning everything vicariously!
Old 01-21-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Yes, Kent..thanks a lot! I needed some pix of a similar-to-mine sized vessel's cockpit rig. Very helpful, indeed
Old 01-22-2013

I like the ball bearing blocks, like the Lewmar's that are shown in the pics. A lot less friction and attaching to the mast you dont have to worry about through bolting. Prior owner had a stand up block that was screwed into the deck. Surprised it didnt pull out! My reef lines are stock at the mast end of the boom. Honestly I have never reefed the main. I do most of my sailing in Puget Sound in the summer and dont have that strong of wind.
Old 01-22-2013

oh yea, and if the $150 is in the budget, replace all of your main sheet blocks with roller bearing blocks, if that has not already been done. Makes a big difference. I also added a block on the boom, to increase the purchase.
Old 01-27-2013

bvermeer is on a distinguished road

Nestor

Send me your e-mail and I can send you plenty of photos and documents on running everything into the cockpit. I've done it twice, two different Islander Bahama 30s. I single-handed all the time (even with my wife aboard!) and everything comes back to the cockpit. I move the halyards internal in the mast with organizers on the deck and line locks under the dodger.

Bert Vermeer
s/v Natasha
Sidney, BC
bvermeer@shaw.ca