Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Islander
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013

ap11 is on a distinguished road
Re: Someone's giving me an Islander 24'

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
OK.. then, why don't you show us pics of the WHOLE boat? LOL Good luck! seems your already going for it.
I don't have pics of the whole boat except from an old survey. It's 250 miles away in Florida. The current marine surveyor hasn't finished his report, but tomorrow I should have them.

I think we just decided about 15 minutes ago to go for it this weekend. We were scared off by the 12" of sitting water in the interior as we didn't plan on redoing that initially. We were also worried about the keel, but the surveyor said it was an encased keel, and shouldn't give us any problems.

Anyone have any experience w/ this boat? My friend's parents have an Islander that's 30+ feet long, but I've never been on a smaller one before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

ISLANDER BAHAMA 24 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Columbia - Islander Connection
Joseph McGlasson, the Islander 24 and Bahama 24.

Joseph McGlasson, a west-coast wooden boat builder, developed an interest in fiberglass production in the late 1950s. According to his widow, Evelyn, Joe formed a corporation called McGlasson Marine Corporation to begin production of his first fiberglass boat, the Islander 24. Using a 24 foot wooden boat, the Catalina Islander, which he had designed, built, and successfully marketed in the mid 1950s, Joe made a mold. The resulting mold had planking lines from the wooden boat and gave the fiberglass version of the Catalina Islander the look of the wooden boat.

The hand-laid up hull with internal lead ballast resulted in an incredibly durable boat. Ed Thrall, a Islander Bahama 24 owner and yacht broker who sold more than 135 of the Islanders before production stopped in 1970, hit a 15-ton channel buoy in a fog and only scratched the chrome off a couple of bolt heads on the stem fitting. When he dug one out to replace it, he found it was 5 ˝ inches long. Ed asked Joe why he had put so much glass in the stem and Joe responded "You didn’t break the stem did you?" As an owner of an Islander 24,I also can attest to the study construction.

Mass production of the Islander began in 1961, when Joe worked with Glas Laminates to begin full scale production. The boat was very popular and McGlasson was able to sell out the entire production run the first year. Excited by the initial popularity of the Islander 24, McGlasson became involved with Wayfarer Yacht Corporation and continued production of the Islander 24. As the popularity of sailing increases, boat sales soar, and at some point, Wayfarer production is taken over by Islander Yachts of Costa Mesa, California. McGlasson’s relationship to Wayfarer, although it appears he was at least part-owner, remains vague. His relationship to Islander is even less clear. By 1965 at the latest, Islander Yachts is producing the Islander 24 and Islander Bahama 24. Islander Yachts in the mid-1960s was a subsidiary of Cosmodyne Incorporated and by 1972 Islander had become a subsidiary of Radlon Incorporated. This changing corporate ownership suggests that by the mid-1960s, Joe McGlasson had walked away from the boat and its production.

The five years following the production of the first fiberglass Islander 24 were surround by intense production pressures as demand for the Islander 24 and Bahama 24 was apparently greater than production capacity. Where there are quick profits to be made unsavory businessmen are sure to follow, and so they did. Indeed, Joe McGlasson’s foray into fiberglass boat production left him bitter at the industry. According to Evelyn, Joe believed he had been ripped off by Glass Marine, Inc. While Evelyn could not remember all the details, she was clear that Glas Laminates could not keep up with production demands and that Joe agreed to let Glas Laminates contract out some of the production.

The relationship between McGlasson, Glass Laminates and Wayfarer sours when Glass Marine Industries begins to produce the Columbia line of sailboats. Wanting to quickly capitalize on the demand for small affordable yachts, someone at the Columbia Sailing Yachts Division of Glass Marine Industries modifies the mold for the Islander 24 to eliminate the grooves and the wooden boat look of the Islander 24. The modified mold is used to produce the first in the series of three Columbia 24s. McGlasson was outraged at having his design stolen. The Columbia 24, Columbia Contender 24, and Columbia Challenger 24, all have the same hull, McGlasson’s Islander 24 hull.

As Islander Yachts expanded into the bigger yacht market, the corporation’s interest in the Islander 24 and Islander Bahama 24 rapidly declined. By 1971, Islander Yachts did not even have files on the Islander 24. In response to a letter from and Islander 24 owner inquiring about winches for the Islander 24, Charles Underwood, Chief Engineer for Islander wrote "We have almost no documentation of the Islander 24. I am enclosing a print of the only drawing on file, which happens to be stamped obsolete. The Islander 24 hull is the same as the Bahama 24 hull. We have no available information on LWL, Draft, Ballast or displacement for your boat." By 1971, after producing over 500 Islander Bahama 24 and unknown number of Islander 24 models, Islander Yachts washes its hands of this particular line of boats and its creator Joe McGlasson moves to Newport Oregon to open a small shop and retire. Joe passed away in the early 1990s.

Back to Columbia History

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-22-2013

joelsanda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap11 View Post
If the city/FEMA ends up getting their stuff together and rebuilding the docks, then I might sell it or move to a friend's marina an hour away. At that point I may also donate it to the university sailing team which was the original idea.
Wow, what's to not like about this deal? I've often taken old free bicycle to tinker with knowing I can donate them to a bike shop that gives them to kids in return for the kids learning how to do maintenance on them.

What a great opportunity!
Old 03-22-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Here's some advice I am certain that you will ignore.

For a few thousand dollars you can buy a vessel like this with a nice interior, working engine, battery and electrical system, some instruments, lots of expensive gear, and you can enjoy your boating, eventually selling it for what you paid for her. This would be the wise thing to do.

Alternatively you can take something free (because it has no value), put days on weeks in trying to sort it out, spend thousands of dollars adding the equipment a vessel needs, then eventually you will also give it away.

Last edited by sailingfool; 03-22-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

A "free" boat?! The most expensive gift you can receive!

Good luck to you Any way ya hook it; it'll be a learning experience.
Old 03-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
For a few thousand dollars you can buy a vessel like this with a nice interior, working engine, battery and electrical system, some instruments, lots of expensive gear, and you can enjoy your boating, eventually selling it for what you paid for her. This would be the wise thing to do.
That's why I'm a little hesitant about the deal. It seems like the current owner might kick in some monetary help to make it a little easier, and he's already paying the marina to haul it out, scrape down the bottom, and replace some through-hulls. We'll still need to paint it inside and out.

Our tentative plan is just to go down there and look at it, and then make the final decision.

Thanks all for your thoughts.
Old 03-22-2013

JMN412 is on a distinguished road
Someone's giving me an Islander 24'

I had a similar experience with a Macgregor 25. But it was well worth the time and money I put in just to learn all that I did. Plus I really loved working on her. I'm sure you will too. Best of luck
Old 03-22-2013

I updated the album with some exterior pictures that the marine surveyor took. I still can't post pictures or links in the post, but here's the link to the picture if you copy/paste it.

Code:
sailnet.com/forums/members/ap11-albums-1967-islander-bahama-24-interior-water-picture2655-photos-1-378032013-24-islander-bahama-1967.html
Old 03-22-2013
Master Rum Hider

Watermelon is on a distinguished road

Would be interesting to see what the surveyor says. But, it looks like you've got quite a bit of work cut out for you. It looks like a lot of rotted wood is waiting in store. But, if the hull is in super shape, it can be quite a fun project gutting and rebuilding the interior + deck repair + painting the boat.
Old 03-22-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

For me a boat this small that is not trailer-able would just not make any sense. Can you borrow a flat bed trailer and build a cradle for the boat on it and tow it home? Sounds like the boatyard owner might be wiling to drop it on your trailer to get it out of there. That would be the only way I would even consider this. You could have it in your drive way till you finish the work on it, then tow it to the water and have it put in the water by a crane.

First of all it will need a lot more than "paint inside and out." The painting part will come in three or four years. It might be OK if you are looking for a project and a place to work on it. (IE a driveway or space in the back yard) If you are going to have to pay a yard for storage while working on it, then I would say forget it. If you will have to pay just one person to work on it forget it. If you are thinking you can work on it in the water, forget it. For close to a years storage fees you will should be able to buy a boat of similar type in decent shape. Keep in mind a fully restored boat is going to only be worth around $4,000 and that is if everything is done correctly and perfect, with all new marine grade plywood and exceptional workmanship down below. But $2,000 is more likely all you will get for it.

Judging from the pictures it looks like all bulkheads will need to be replaced, along with the interior furniture. Looks like the decks are de-laminated, so you are in it for several thousand before you look at standing and running rigging, a couple more boat bucks, then add in some sails and a working outboard for a few more boat bucks. Have you looked at the price of decent paint? Then when you get frustrated 1/2 way through and you give it away after putting 6 grand into, you will realize those who said it was a bad idea were right.

By the way I am not pessimistic at all, just a realist. I would hate to see someone get into something like this and get over there head. On the plus side it likely has 1500# of lead and figure about 30 cents a pound, it will at least pay for the dumpster to put the cut up fiberglass into.

Oh and by the way I like the look of the boat, very plucky. Check out your local Craig's list to see what boats are going for locally.

Last edited by miatapaul; 03-22-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.