SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Islander (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/islander/)
-   -   Someone's giving me an Islander 24' (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/islander/97769-someones-giving-me-islander-24-a.html)

ap11 03-21-2013 08:25 PM

Someone's giving me an Islander 24'

Hey all! Someone's giving me a 1967 Islander Bahama 24', but it's got some issues and I need some help deciding on whether or not to take it.

It's moored around Destin, and I live in New Orleans so the plan was to go work on it for a few days and sail her back. I had a marine survey done for State Farm so that I could have liability insurance active from the first day. He found some issues that the owner didn't know about because he hadn't seen the boat in while. The biggest issue was that there was about 12" of water sitting in the interior, and he wasn't sure how long it's been there (anywhere from 2 to 6 months). It might need to be completely gutted. It seems like the cockpit drain line through-hull was clogged by barnacles and so the cockpit would fill up with water and leak down into the interior. There's no auto bilge pump on her either.

I've got three guys who willing to go there with me to help me work on it for a few days and then sail it back to New Orleans. The marina where it's being kept has pulled it out of the water and is scraping down the sides before we get there. It will need new paint top-to-bottom and inside, but the rigging and sails are in decent shape.

Does it sound like a stupid plan? Should I look for another free boat closer to home? I've had multiple people tell me locally that they can get me a 'free boat', but I'm not really sure how realistic they are. I don't mind spending about a $1000 on materials for this boat to get her seaworthy. I like Islanders because of the stability and the super thick hull; I'm not a racer.

Any thoughts? I'll post some pictures of the interior that the marine surveyor sent me in another post.

ap11 03-21-2013 08:37 PM

Re: Someone's giving me an Islander 24'

Ah... sailnet won't let me post a picture or a link until I have 10 posts. But if you cut and paste the following it should work.
Code:

sailnet.com/forums/members/ap11-albums-1967-islander-bahama-24-interior-water.html

deniseO30 03-21-2013 09:20 PM

Oh dear, run.. the other way! It's trash! Betting the marina is going to hit you for unpaid bills!

ap11 03-21-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 1006000)
Oh dear, run.. the other way! It's trash! Betting the marina is going to hit you for unpaid bills!

Ha, no thankfully it shouldn't have any unpaid bills. I've talked to the marina, and it was kept there for free as a favor to the owner. I really don't mind fixing it up, and kind of like the idea.

Trying to figure out if it will be seaworthy after a few days worth of work by four dedicated 25 year old guys.

Lake Superior Sailor 03-21-2013 09:28 PM

Well this is a project boat ! I would think of it as a clean slate: after you gut it! The good thing is the price is right. You will need to love her to do this project,& will have to be ready to work, this isn't a simple fix; But, you could build what you want!....Dale

katsailor 03-21-2013 10:46 PM

Does the engine run? When I worked the Pensacola harbor tug we used to make the run to New Orleans in around 24 hours via the ICW at 8-9 knots. You can make the entire trip on the inside, I would just get her home using the most risk conservative method (ICW) that you can. If you have problems you can tie up somewhere, fix it and then continue, running outside with an unknown boat kinda limits your options. :)

fair winds and following seas

dan

joelsanda 03-21-2013 10:47 PM

Well, I don't own a boat - I've only sailed the J22's at my local sailing club. And before I take anything free or buy anything I wonder about how I'm going to unload it when I'm done with it.

But having said that ... if I had a place to put this thing to work on I'd take it in a heartbeat. What a great experience - you're not going to ruin something you paid money for as you learn how to work on it! If I thought I had a reasonable chance of making it work I wouldn't think twice about it. What an amazing opportunity to learn how to work on a boat without risking your primary ride.

I have done this with bicycles - tearing a working but in poor condition bike apart so I could understand the gears and experiment with repairs and parts without risking my primary ride.

That's a great opportunity.

ap11 03-21-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katsailor (Post 1006033)
Does the engine run?

The existing engine does not run, but we're bringing down one which definitely does. Our plan was to take 3-4 days sailing back, only during the day, only in the IWC except for maybe the part between Perdido Key and Dauphin Island because it gets narrow just before Mobile Bay. We're making the trip next week, and the weather and winds look great (knock on wood). I'm buying a BoatUS or SeaTow membership before we set sail, so maybe they would tow me back to New Orleans if we got stuck somewhere.

ap11 03-21-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsanda (Post 1006034)
Well, I don't own a boat - I've only sailed the J22's at my local sailing club. And before I take anything free or buy anything I wonder about how I'm going to unload it when I'm done with it.

Ha, yeah, I thought about that already. I live in a marina now, and we've got some docks that have been condemned by FEMA since Katrina. My friend has moored two of his boats there for three years and never had a problem. I can keep an eye on it from my back porch. If the city/FEMA ends up getting their stuff together and rebuilding the docks, then I might sell it or move to a friend's marina an hour away. At that point I may also donate it to the university sailing team which was the original idea.

deniseO30 03-21-2013 10:59 PM

OK.. then, why don't you show us pics of the WHOLE boat? LOL Good luck! seems your already going for it.