Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > J
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2014

nemoralis is on a distinguished road
J24 keel damage - run aground

I've been looking to get back into the sailing world after recently selling my North American 23 and this local J24 ad caught my eye as it was one I had seen out on our local reservoir. It's a very attractive boat with an excellent paint job and has been gone over in the last three years and outfitted with many expensive upgrades. The price is right as of right now and it comes with a trailer but there is one caveat.. The keel hit something submerged and when striking the submerged object, the keel flexed back. So there was fiberglass damaged on the hull just forward of the keel. Inside, the fiberglass was damaged aft of the keel. My question is does anyone have any idea as to the extent of repairs needed to get this boat back into action? Thank you in advance for any and all help you may be able to provide
Attached Thumbnails
J24 keel damage - run aground-1.jpg   J24 keel damage - run aground-2.jpg   J24 keel damage - run aground-3.jpg   J24 keel damage - run aground-4.jpg   J24 keel damage - run aground-5.jpg  

Last edited by nemoralis; 08-07-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: J24 keel damage - run aground

Not offhand, but I can tell you that the folks at J/Boats are extremely open and helpful to customers and potential customers, and I'd bet that if you call them, they'll be able to look at the photos via email and give you some specific advice, or a referral to someone local to the boat who can help you.

I called once and actually was connected to one of the Johnstone brothers on the phone, who could ask for better service & advice than right from the source?
The Following User Says Thank You to hellosailor For This Useful Post:
nemoralis (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014

Thank you for your expedited help, hellosailor. I'll try there.
Old 08-07-2014

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

J-24's are notorious for having problems with their stub keels. It is a pretty well known condition with reasonably well known fixes. The problem gets worse quickly if it is not attended to. The pictures of root (the top) of the keel look pretty serious. I would try to see if there is a J-24 forum on the class association site where you might get guidance.

The damage at the bottom of the keel is inconsequential but the cracks at the top of the keel look very significant.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-07-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-07-2014

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

J24 hulls are fully balsa cored and almost all have moisture in them to some degree after only a few years. Be very, very careful of one where the outer hull skin has been breached.

Get a hold of someone who knows how to use a moisture meter !
PS. Not everyone who has a meter knows what he is doing.
Take a look at Moisture Meter Mythology. Some of the photos in this article show J24 core.
Old 08-07-2014

Thank you Jeff and Poker for your help also. I was on the phone with JBoats earlier today and sadly, the technical help there, Ned, in as professional way as possible, explained to me why looking into this boat was a terrible idea not only for my safety but for my pocketbook's safety as well. I guess this boat will pass me by. He basically explained the value of the boat will most likely be surpassed by the repair costs judging by my description of the impact and the hull cracks in the fiberglass.
Old 08-07-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Get in touch with Donnie Brennan in Mobil (Dauphin Island really) and send him the pictures. He is by far the best Boatwright in the area, and pretty reasonably priced.
Old 08-07-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Nemo-
Not to worry, there are tens of thousands of J/24s, literally, made in multiple plants all over the world. And there are folks buying and selling them every year. If this one doesn't work out--another one will.

J/24 owners tend to be rabid racers, and find a boat that has never been run aground, t-boned, broke or worn out, might be a challenge. But they are out there! And there's a lot of support from the J/folks (as you've found) and the class associations. Odds are, someone knows someone who'll put you in touch with a straight boat.
Old 08-08-2014
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

pass on this one, that repair will be well over $2k when you're done. Fine one that isn't broken.