SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

J24 Owners

21K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  videorov 
#1 ·
Seems that I previously had two extra feet in the water.
For those of you who are interested, J Boats have an excellent site: http://www.j24nationals.com/

#10 ·
Empty barrel makes the greatest sound

Not much on my mind. Basically not much exciting going on today. Eh. Today was a complete loss. I've pretty much been doing nothing. Not much noteworthy happening to speak of. Not much on my mind recently. I haven't gotten anything done for a while. Not much on my mind worth mentioning. Shrug. That's how it is. I feel like a fog. I can't be bothered with anything these days. Pretty much nothing seems worth thinking about, but oh well. I guess it doesn't bother me. More or less not much noteworthy happening today. Maybe tomorrow. Not much on my mind worth mentioning. I haven't been up to much lately, but I guess it doesn't bother me. Pretty much not much exciting going on. Pfft.

#18 ·
J/24 rigging

I sail J-24 "GIZMO" at Brookville Lake Ind., and have some questions about rigging. Anyone have advice?
I have a J/24. 1985 hull # 4098

Here is link to a website for tuning a J/24: J 24 Tuning Guide

I found that you should have the mast set back as far as it will go. The other most important things are that the mast is straight (it is very easy on a J/24 to have the tension on the shrouds set to make the mast bent the wrong way: to starboard or to port), the mast is slightly racked back, and the tension on the shrouds are equal. I have the outer shrouds set at about 25 and the inners between 15 and 20. When I bought the J, it came with a Loos gauge - a very good measuring tool to have.
90 Series | 90 Series | Tension Gauges | Loos & Co. - Cableware Division

Looks like new ones are about $70, but I bet you could find a used one (or borrow one).
Loos Co. - Tension Gauge: Mauri Pro Sailing

#20 ·
How are folks rigging the pole downhaul? I have mine going from the pole (of course) through an eye fastened to the deck (about 2-3' back from the Jenny Tack-which is also used to secure the bow lines) to a horn clean on the lower part of the mast. It seems to work okay, but it is slow in readjusting the pole height. Just curious what others are doing....

Chicago

#21 ·
Mostly nothing - 18 boats here and only one has a foreguy, everyone else uses the twings and calls it good enough. If I was running one I'd go through a cheek block on the mast and then a swivelling fairlead/cam cleat combo a few inches back from that. Sounds like yours goes through a turning block almost at the bow?? Man that must be slow & in the way a lot at mark roundings (assuming you race)

#23 ·
Thanks guys. Yea, I can see using the twings only in light winds and going DD, but on more of a broad reach and in heavy winds I feel like it necessary and faster to have the pole stable to ensure it remainds square to the wind. We get some strong shifty blows and big swells here in Chicago and pole adjustment seems to need to happen often. I like idea of running the downhaul closer to the mast that does make more sense...and looking back at the Harken bible as Tommays has kindly posted that appears to be the recommended approach. I will give that a whirl.
Best,
B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.