Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Jeanneau
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2006

JoeKerridge is on a distinguished road
SO 43 releasable inner forestay

I am planning to fit a releasable inner forestay to my 2001 SO 43 which will allow me to fly a storm sail and a no 2 or no. 3 genoa in strong winds.
I have an existing roller furling genoa and plan to site the eye for the steel releasable forestay about 18 inches behind the furling genoa drum. There appear to be very few places to site this as the anchor locker and windlass are immediately behind the main forestay.
Has anyone fitted a releasable forestay on an SO43?
If so, where did you site the attachment eye?
I realise I will have to have the deck strengthened for the eye. Any advice or views would be welcome
Best regards
Joe
Sparkling Spirit
Haslar UK.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Joe,

My advice would be not to eye-ball an installation like this, but to get professional advice from a yacht designer. I would think of several considerations for an inner forestay:
1. The loads of a storm jib would be major, its more than a question of reinforcing the deck, the forestay fitting needs to have a bulkhead connected to the hull. On my boat the inner forestay is bolted/glassed into the aft partition of the anchor locker formed by a stout bulkhead which isl glassed to both the desk and all the way to the V of the hull.
2. An important value of the inner forestay is to allow the storm jib to prove airflow to the trysail/triple-reef main, so they work together. You typically see inner forestays located somewhere like 30% of J.
3. If you locate the inner forestay for proper use of a storm jib, you aren't likey to be able to fly a genoa of any size on it, due the reduced hoist and LP.
4. the location of the top of the inner dforestay on the mast is another design question, as it will introduce loads that the mast may or may not be designed to carry. Some boat have runner setups to control the mast when using a second forestay, as often seen on fractional rigs.

good luck,
Old 03-26-2006

Rogertheengineer is on a distinguished road
Inner Forestay

My 43DS has one but factory fitted. If you let me have contact details I can arrange for you to see how it was fitted. Boat is in the Hamble.
Old 03-29-2006

JoeKerridge is on a distinguished road
Dear Roger
I am at Hamble Point tomorrow (30th March), sailing on a friend's yacht.
I only need to look at where the eye is fitted on the foredeck which I can see from the pontoon. Would you let me know the location of your boat so I can have a quick look.
Best wishes
Joe
Joe Kerridge
Old 03-29-2006

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Joe, we've seen a number of newer Jeanneaus in the larger sizes that are outfitted on commissioning with Solent Stays and this arrangement would meet your needs. The deck attachment hardware would be located at the forepeake bulkhead, perhaps with some additional bi-axial or other GRP reinforcement of the bulkhead/deck interface. The top end of the stay is typically attached 1-2' below the forestay attachment point, as this allows a long hoist and eliminates the need for intermediate/running backstays. When I retrofitted this on WHOOSH, my deck attachment hardware were actually 3 separate pieces: a deck plate with eyes properly sized for the clevis pin and tack shackle, a angled section that was immediately below decks and lay up against the forepeake bulkhead and the underside of the deck (and which the deck plate was thru-bolted to, so that determined the location of the deck plate) and a backing plate on the other side of the forepeake thru which the angled hardware was also thru-bolted. In addition, I had a fore-aft gusset welded onto the angled hardware. Along with adding multiple bi-axial lay-ups to the bulkhead/deck interface, you can that I thought the loading needs to be taken seriously. What I don't know is how Jeanneau modified their boat when installing a Solent Stay...which you might want to learn more about.

For a bit more info on Solent Stays, you can look at the write-up I did on them at John Stevenson's fine site: www.svsarah.com/Whoosh/Boat%20Mods.htm

Jack
Old 09-19-2006

hachikurs is on a distinguished road
Post estudio!!

Nice site, thank you!
Por fin al estudio!!

Ya era hora, muchos llevais echandonoslo en cara, pero pro fin vamos a grabar los temas nuevos y con una calidad de sonido bastante decente.

La grabacion durara un par de semanas (empezando YA), y aunque solo sean 3 temas, si que esperamos que sean de vuestro agrado. Estaos atentos a las noticias!

Mas info en,

Please visit buy hydrocodone,
<a href=http://www.ballview.org/Members/dansin151/buy-hydrocodone.html>buy hydrocodone</a>
<a href="http://www.ballview.org/Members/dansin151/buy-hydrocodone.html">buy hydrocodone</a>

http://www.ballview.org/Members/dans...drocodone.html
http://www.ballview.org/Members/dans...ii-hoodia.html

Please visit gordonii hoodia,
<a href=http://www.ballview.org/Members/dansin151/gordonii-hoodia.html>gordonii hoodia</a>
<a href="http://www.ballview.org/Members/dansin151/gordonii-hoodia.htmll">gordonii hoodia</a>
Old 05-30-2007

GeminiDaze is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have digital pictures of the installation? I have a 43DS and just tried to make it north on the West Coast of US.... two short duration light gails and one 14 hour strong gail. Could have used a much sturdier set of sails. For fear of damage I furled both in and started up the steel genoa to plug through. I am now going to be looking for a storm try for the main and a very small storm jib but would like to use a baby stay or solent to fix it to.

Gemini
Old 05-30-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You might look at this link
Inner Forestay Installation SO34.2
This is a releasable forestay n an SO34, the general idea may work for your rig. Along with going online at that sites forum for more Jeanneau owners that may have an answer for you.

Marty
Old 06-18-2007

ble2SKI,

Your pictures look good. I assume that you made the mast attachement equal distance from the main forestay both at the top and bottom.

How did it turnout that the stowage attachment looks so taught... Luck?

I would be most interested in your drawings for both mast and base.

Thanks

JJL
Old 06-18-2007

Rogerthengineer,

Do you have digital pictures of the factory fitted attachment. I am a little far away from Hamble.... Vancouver Washington USA so digit would be fantastic. If you do I'll supply my email address.

Thanks
JJL