Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Jeanneau
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2006
tanuki

enadler is on a distinguished road
2001 40ds

Interested in talking with anyone that has a Jeanneau, especially if you have an '01. Would like to discuss maintenance issues, if any, as well as overall maintenance. Hope to hear from you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2006

SoOkay is on a distinguished road
I have a 2005 43DS. We have had some issues, but overall happy with her. Look forward to haring from you.
Old 07-14-2006

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road
Enadler -- i have a 2000 Jeanneau DS40 -- goreat boat with few issues. looking forward to hearing from you.
chuck and soulmates
email -- chuck54_99@yahoo.com
Old 07-14-2006

chuck

We sail out of Raritan bay in New Jersey, where are you guys?
Old 07-14-2006

SoOkay -- I sail out of Miami - bought the boat from ted novakowski of what is not Sound Yachts in Ct and brought her to Miami after a stop at the Annapolis boat show. I am currently trying to sell my house, retire and go cruising. Over Memorial day did a 6 day trip to Key West and had planned to go to Bahamas but the $300 entrance njust was not worth it for a short trip.
Where do you sail
chuck and soulmates
Old 07-17-2006

Chuck,
We sail out of New Jersey. A short motor around Sandy hook, puts us out in the open and away from everyone in the bay, We like just being out there with nothing aroud. We are slowly outfitting her for extended cruising. This year we may add a watermaker, or perhaps a generator.
Old 07-17-2006

SoOkay -- wow - away from anyone would be something new. Down here boats are just everywhere and not to many folks understand the rules of the road. when we came back from Key West via the Gulf Stream, I spent the entire night dodging big ships that were both coming and going.
I turn 61 in a couple of months and got downsized a few months ago, so i have put my house on the market and getting SoulMates ready for some extended cruising. I am going to skip the generator and go solar, i do need the water maker and ssb. Then a lot of back up parts.
One thing i noted on sites about the cost of cruising is the maintenance cost eats up 20-30% of the budget - so with a new boat my hope is that i can cut that quite a bit. My goal is to ride out the hurricane season here and then sail the bahamas for the winter - i have to discuss with my insurance company as they have a couple of restrictions i have to have changed. Then next year sail the east coast and be in annapolis for the boat show before heading south again and then across to the bahamas and then farther south - that is the plan at least for now - but who knows.
chuck and soulmates
Old 07-17-2006

chuck711 is on a distinguished road
Crusing cost and clearing in

I completed a 2 year trip in the Caribbean with my now wife, a large Springer Spaniel and a cranky 13 year old cat. We had a great time.
Suggest all who goes try to time their trip to follow the races down.
Barts Bucket Cup and Antigua Race Week. A lot of special events
that you will rarely see on the normal island time.

If I only had 6 days in the Bahamas I doubt I would be able to find the places to clear in. However always on the French islands. They are free.
Trinidad is only $10. Most Islands they are between $20 and $50. The DR is $83. kinda of high but OK. You really don't have much choice because
they actually rowed out at 8:00am and boarded us! Everyone else too!

Regarding maintenance cost I noticed people who was pushing the amps
did replace batteries and alternators. We used ice.

Half of the boaters didn't have insurance as we didn't. It just cost too much. Be careful. I doubt if a boat hit us he would have insurance.......I had good ground tackle. All Chain. Better Insurance!!

We spent $500 a month once we got in the Caribbean. We rushed thru the Bahamas. I liked the water in the Bahamas. So clear good fishing. However everything was expensive. Poor selection of Food and costly. Never got that warm and fuzzy feeling from the natives either. Oh caught the fish on a hand line between islands...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (57.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg King M.jpg (29.5 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by chuck711; 07-17-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2006

chuck711 -- sounds like a great trip - nice fish -
I need to sell my house, which is on the market now, (not a great time to sell a house) and then finish moving on board. plan is to sit out the hurricane season in miami and then head east and south over the winter with a return to the us east coast for the summer and be in annapolis in oct for the boat show and then south again and across to the islands and farther south.
thanks for the thoughts. by the way what is the one thing that you forgot and really needed but did not think you would and what is one thing that you took that you did not need.
chuck and soulmates
Old 07-18-2006

I know what you mean about the batteries. So Okay is only 1.5 years old and I've alredy replaced the house bank. Mine came with sealed batteries, after two boiled on me, I'm now using regular deep cycle wet cells and I can check them every month or so. I feel the "80 amp" alternator that came with the boat not good enough, I'm switching to a high output one.

I'm also looking at watermakers, and perhaps this winter will be the time to do it. i have my eye on these: http://www.hrosystems.com/reverseosmosis/sec.html
The modular installation is nice, as is the lack of a high pressure pump.

My thought is if I can run a gen or the engine for 2-3 hrs a day and recharge batteries and refill H2O tanks at the same time then I'm in good shape.

Have you guys seen any generators installed in 43 or 43ds?

Last edited by SoOkay; 07-18-2006 at 02:38 PM.