SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Jeanneau (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/jeanneau/)
-   -   Leaking water tank (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/jeanneau/16523-leaking-water-tank.html)

plovering 05-25-2006 01:04 PM

Leaking water tank

I have a 40 DS and the forward poly water tank has started to leak. Any ideas on repair or replacement. I've had the V berth apart and it seem's the the tank could be removed rather simply.
Thanks, Peter, 40DS Iolite

cklanac 06-06-2006 09:10 AM

Where is the tank leaking from? Has it cracked open, split a seam or leaking from a fitting?

hellosailor 06-15-2006 09:38 PM

Peter-
You'll have to be more specific about where or how it is leaking. Sometimes a fitting can be replaced, or you can buy a plastic welding kit for $50 or less. That's like a hot melt glue gun, but it uses plastic sticks that match your tank material and fuses the crack with new material. Sometimes MarineTex will do, but getting anything to stick to poly is a gamble. Sometimes you can through-bolt a plate over the crack.
Sometimes it is simpler to just remove the tank and replace it.

It all depends on the details--which you haven't mentioned.

anadem 06-17-2006 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor
you can buy a plastic welding kit for $50 or less.

Please can you give a pointer to a source for a welding kit? google is letting me down (or maybe it's my googling skills) and nowhere I've called has a clue ... I also need to fix a crack in a poly tank.

thanks!
alan

sinead 04-03-2008 10:29 AM

Had the same issue with my water tanks which are 9 years old. I just replaced with nice new clean ones. water leaking inside is just too much trouble

windmutt 08-10-2008 10:21 AM

you my want to check the vent hose. The factory filed down the inside of the jose to make it fit to the vent. I replaced the hose which cracked where it was filed down and all was good.

jjg 06-30-2009 11:37 PM

re water tank

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinead (Post 294294)
Had the same issue with my water tanks which are 9 years old. I just replaced with nice new clean ones. water leaking inside is just too much trouble

Can you tell me where you purchased the new water tanks? Thanks

blt2ski 07-01-2009 12:42 AM

jjg,

Where are you located? If in the US, West marine has the stock tanks that Jeanneau uses, ie a "Plastimo" brand tank. At least that is what most of us have.

marty

deniseO30 07-01-2009 09:53 AM

The poly tank in my boat was leaking from a crack in it 2yrs ago. 3M makes a compound that actually works on poly. the tube plus special holder for it was abour 50 bucks. Grainger industrial supply was my source. it's never leaked again!
Buy 3M Scotch-Weld DP Epoxies The Binding Source 3M authorized distributor of Adhesives, Abrasives, Tapes, Reclosables, and more. - The Binding Source