SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Jeanneau (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/jeanneau/)
-   -   Gelcoat problems/delamination on jeanneau 45.2 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/jeanneau/17557-gelcoat-problems-delamination-jeanneau-45-2-a.html)

Jeff Owen 06-22-2006 03:13 PM

Gelcoat problems/delamination on jeanneau 45.2

I own a 2003 Jeanneau 45.2 and am experiencing significant cracking and delamination of the gelcoat on the deck. The hull is fine, but deck is having a lot of problems. Is anyone else having these problems?

Curt 06-29-2006 02:11 AM

Nobody answered this and I was waiting also for a reply. I have been walking around a lot on the docks and see many older boats with these thin looking cracks in the finish on the decks. I thought maybe they were gelcoat hairline stress cracks or checking but not sure. Can anyone confirm this and is there a solution? There are many boats that are only a waxing away from their former glory but the waxing will not repair these lines. Maybe they come from lack of waxing or other neglect. Maybe just age and UV damage. It would sure be nice to know if there was a proocedure to bring the nice old or a new finish back.

Gene T 06-29-2006 12:50 PM

You could ask your question on the Jeanneau Sailnet email list, it is quite active. But you shouldn't get gel-coat cracks on a new boat. They come from stress and generally from the gel-coat being too thick, which is brittle. Where the cracks are is a good indication of where the stress is coming from. What happened to the boat that could cause the stress? i would contact the dealer or Jeanneau america headquarters also.

cebretko 12-22-2008 02:15 PM

Gelcoat

Jeff: I have a 2003 45.2 with the very same gelcoat problems. My dealer is currently working with Jeanneau America to get these issues resolved under warranty. I had a C&C 37 for 18 years that never had this problem. I wax my cabin topsides at least three times a season, so it is not from lack of care.

Pirateslife 10-12-2009 07:17 PM

Cracks or dime size divots?

Are these cracks or dime size divots?

cebretko 10-13-2009 01:15 PM

No, these are long cracks appearing randomly but primarily where the deck has a radius in a transition from horizontal to vertical. I have one divot type which has been diagnosed as a "void" under the non skid :) which will be filled with an epoxy injection. Jeanneau has resolved the problem. The cracks were gouged out and refilled with epoxy and glass by a skilled local contractor.

tager 10-13-2009 02:35 PM

I guess it is just cheap layup that flexes, combined with brittle gelcoat.

Pirateslife 10-19-2009 07:49 PM

Voids, no cracks

We have a '99 45.2. Have had voids but no real issues with cracks...

wysailor 02-20-2010 12:05 PM

I have been told by several reliable sources that the where the gelcoat is too thick it will crack in the radiased corners.