SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Jeanneau 42DS

26K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  tireman 
#1 ·
I am considering purchasing this boat new, I would like comments on Jeanneau, quality, problems, etc. How does this boat compare to a Hunter of the same size?

#2 ·
I have owned a Hunter (34 foot), a Pearson 422 and now a Jeaneau 54DS. I think in each I case I got what I paid for...the 54 DS being the most expensive clearly has better joinery and hardware. But the Hunter was good value. If you are buying a new boat then more important than comments on boat are comments on the dealer. All boats built by longstanding, respected builders (such as Hunter or Jeanneau) will have issues. The question is how will your dealer handle the problems. If you are my neck of the woods (New England) I can strongly recommend Eastern Yacht Sales. Very responsive and willing to go the extra mile. For example, I am repositioning my boat to the VI for the winter. Glenn Walters (EYS sales) has helped me with all kinds of advice including finding a captain (to get the boat down), to where base it, etc.

#7 ·
Problems with 42ds

Problems:
Stress cracks on coach roof panel that covers lines. they won't replace - now repaired and looks awful!
Hole in gelcoat appread in deck by mid ship cleat area
Cracking of teak tow rail by anchor
peeling of gel coat in anchor locker
failure of drinking water pump
when boat was lifted water drained for a week from keel to hull joint which suggests water is being allowed to seep into keel
forwarded heads tap, towel hoop and locker button corroding
very poor fitting and quality of joinery below which allows it to bemarked easily
Laminate floor - where they screwed in the floor panels they have cipped the laminate
picked up rubbish in engine water intake which meant the water lock becmae damaged - it is located within the port side engine bearer - and it had melted whihc made it almost impossible to remove. I then realised just how poorly made the boat was. Self tappers into the glass fibre with the ends of the screens poking through to the other side etc
all this on a July 2006 boat!
You can buy a Bavaria 42 cruiser for 40k less in the UK and the quality can't be any worse surely! I have had three Jeanneaus now and they have really cut corners now - this will be my last. I know the 49/54 is worlds apart in terms of quality - I wonder where the 46 will sit?

#12 ·
Well, i own a 42 DS, and I have earlier malos, and Hallbergs Rassy, I like the Ds very well and are now going to sail a round world trip. the Ds 42 need some upgrading in equipment but it is a very social boat, good space and well proven in the mediterrenian by charter, i had no problems with the boat in these 6 yars i have own it since new. so to say, taking care, and it will payback on you
Good sailing!!

#13 ·
We have a 2012 and love it having used it now for two full seasons. In mast furling main has worked flawlessly, California king in aft cabin more comfortable than my bed at home. Lots of room in cockpit. Easily sailed by my wife and I (without much previous experience I might add). Can't much comment on performance, this is the first sailboat we've owned. Doesn't seem to sail as close to the wind as other boats on the lake but we did not buy it for performance. Negatives...interior wood (veneer) attractive to our eye but easily nicked and scratched. Make sure your guests are aware or the different levels in the cabin floor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.