Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
Re: Jeanneau Attalia

Thanks guys!

Racing season is over. It will start again in December. Bummed out a little as racing is pretty amazing (especially in the Caribbean), even with the original sails. I'm really looking forward to racing again. Next activity is a sail to St-Lucia and back (110 miles).

If you are up to it, we are hosting the Mount Gay Rum Round Barbados Race Series ( a variation on the Round Barbados Race from last year). 5 days of racing in January (including the Round Barbados race). Here is the link: The Mount Gay Rum Round Barbados Race 2014

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2013

JensK is on a distinguished road

Just sounds great. In Denmark, we pause racing from mid September until late April (too cold and dark).
I was in St Lucia about 20 years ago - a wonderful island.
Good luck to you and your crew when you start again.
Jens
31 feet
Old 08-21-2013
Not quite Senior Member

A few weeks ago I was in Canada and took a ferry across the St-Lawrence River at Riviere-du-Loup. end of July, the warmest time in Canada. I had to go below deck and get a sweater and windbreaker out of the car because the wind was blowing cold... When you race, you want wind, but in Canada its cold so you need to dress for it. Here i Barbados we are in t-shirts (optional), shorts and barefoot. if its a serious race I will wear shoes in case some one steps on my foot or I stub my toe.

But seriously if you even remotely think of coming down for the race, I'm sure I can put you up!

Old 08-21-2013
Not quite Senior Member

On another note, I'm planning the sail over (and back) to St-Lucia in 10 days. Its about 110 miles Port to Port one way. About a 18hr sail one way and about 26hrs back. I've sailed it back once, in a slightly smaller boat (a Hunter 30) so no worries there as long as we have a weather window.

I'm looking at all the systems on board and what I need to change-improve-add as this is a more serious hop over. I really only have very basic stuff onboard: VHF, compass, handheld GPS, paper charts. This is not coastal cruising. Its a little more serious. I'll buy an epirb and borrow a liferaft and sat phone. I'll be adding jacklines for the passage and we all have self inflatable PFDs and harnesses.

I need to check the reefing lines which have had little use. Do any of you have pictures of how you reef the main as well as how all the lines are used on the mast. I rigged them about three years ago but I have the feeling the previous owner got mixed up with some of the lines and left it like that. fro example, I have no lines leading aft from the starboard side. The only two lines I have coming from the mast are the Genoa and main halyards.

I've read a number of posts here and the cruising forum about minimal equipment etc for a safe passage but I'm really looking for specifics for a boat our size.

Old 08-21-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waymar83 View Post
A few weeks ago I was in Canada and took a ferry across the St-Lawrence River at Riviere-du-Loup. end of July, the warmest time in Canada. I had to go below deck and get a sweater and windbreaker out of the car because the wind was blowing cold... When you race, you want wind, but in Canada its cold so you need to dress for it. Here i Barbados we are in t-shirts (optional), shorts and barefoot. if its a serious race I will wear shoes in case some one steps on my foot or I stub my toe.

But seriously if you even remotely think of coming down for the race, I'm sure I can put up with you!!!!
There,,,,, fixed it!: D
Old 08-23-2013
Not quite Senior Member

That too ...Jens although I don't read Danish, congrats on your website.

Old 08-24-2013
Not quite Senior Member

I know its the weekend so most of you ''Northerners'' should be out sailing but I have another issue. I've been wanting to rewire the set up with the batteries. its just a jumble of wires with no fuses so its a hazard waiting to happen. I've been looking around reading various fora, specifically looking for pictures of a proper set up. The ones I can find all have lots of room. We Attalia-Arcadia owners do not. SO I was wondering about your own electricals. This is, I am ashamed to say, what I have:

I would like to secure the batteries a little better but I have very little clearance under the plywood. The charger also seems to heat quite a bit when charging. When I am on shore power, I leave the two plywood panels off the berth for better air circulation.

Old 08-26-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Where are those batteries kept? Looks like under an aft berth in rear state room? My house battery is under the nav seat, the starting battery in the engine compartment.

I can see why you may have a mess of wires, if that is the normal spot, or someone moved things around in the past.

Marty
Old 08-26-2013

JensK is on a distinguished road

Dear Mark
I have mine in the same location - only that the starting battery is in the same compartment. My wires are much more messy than yours. They are, however, all linked to the switch board panel next to the navigation table - with proper fuses (push buttons) The few exceptions (e.g. heater) have separate fuses. My charger is in the cockpit locker.
You are right that the batteries should be better fixed - one terrible story from the Fastnet race in 1979 was a battery flying through the main cabin. Mine are fixed with a wooden board across the batteries and fixed to wooden boards on both sides of the compartment, installed for this purpose. Good idea with the boxes to collect possible spills of acid.
Best regads
Jens
31 feet
Old 08-26-2013
Not quite Senior Member

Hi guys,

This is the aft cabin (right behind the engine). Not a bad spot but I can't believe that this is how the boat was manufactured. I dont think anyone moved things around and fortunately all the wires lead to the panel by the chart table (with fuses). But it is messy and there is no way the wires should be screwed in with the battery posts. I will put in a couple of bus bars and organise it and consolidate the batteries a little better but finding a spot to put the bus bars etc is not easy, which is why I was hoping you guys did it first... I have a bit of an idea.

Now that the boat is 5 minutes from work and 20 minutes from home, I am spending alot more time on her and am doing a number of projects.