Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Jeanneau
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007

bottleinamessage is an unknown quantity at this point
This may be somewhat off topic as I don't have an Attalia, but I re-fitted and made some major changes on my SO 42.1 preparing her to be a blue water capable, live aboard cruiser. It's not a great blog, but if you pick thru it, you can see alot.

http://travels-of-sv-far-niente.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
Dave, welcome!

Although this may be an old thread, when I'm on Sailnet I do check it. I'm not as active now because the boat is still on the hard so I'm not gaining any sailing or other experience . (The Attalia is our first "big" boat and my only sailing experience before was on daysailors).

I've always found "Waymar" to be forgiving and frankly, easy to sail. same principles as a daysailor (we also have the tiller steering, which I've come to appreciate). We've also cruised lake Ontario for up to 8 days with 2 adults, 5 teenagers and a dog (and we had a great time). Most of the time we are 5-6 people on board for 3-4 days at a stretch - no problems.

She will go back in the water next summer and I can't wait. I have alot of projects to improve performance, comfort and looks.

Where will you be sailing? Its a good thing to hire a captain and get some onboard coaching for the first few times. We found that it was not the sailing that was the difficult part but the docking . especially in close quarters.....

Practice taking her out and bringing her in many times... do it when you have experienced help around and when there are NOT alot of people around watching.

The other bit of advice for now is ALWAYS monitor the weather. Keep ahead of the weather, know what is coming and prepare yourself for it before it comes and you will be fine.

The final bit is remember that she draws 5'9"" (unless you have the centreboard version), which is surprisingly deep for a boat like that. - just keep an eye on the charts and the depthsounder...

"bottleinamessage" thanks for sharing the the link to your blog. You have alot of skills. (and guts to tear out the main saloon and rebuild - wow and it looks great!). Compared to the 32ft Attalia your 42 has alot of room...

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Old 08-13-2007

davester is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply and the advice.
We'll be sailing 'Summer Snow' (that's her current name, not sure yet about changing or keeping it) along the Northeastern U.S. coast. Right now she is in Mystic Connecticut, and we can keep her there for the remainder of the season, so we'll be sailing in Fishers Island Sound and probably into Long Island Sound and Block Island Sound. Mystic is about a 3 hour drive for us because we both live in NYC, but I've heard from a lot of people that it is a really great area to sail, with lots of variety in day trips and cruises. Next summer we'll have to decide whether to keep her there or bring down closer to home (which would mean sailing mostly in Western Long Island Sound).

Summer Snow is not the centerboard version, and I am a little nervous about the draft- there are a lot of rocks in Fishers Island Sound and she's been run aground in the past (with substantial damage). I think I will just try to err on the side of caution by keeping to the water that is deep enough even at spring tide, and as you said, paying attention to position on the chart and the depth sounder). From looking at the chart, it does seem like most of the rocks and shoals are marked with becons or lights, so that should help.

I will practice docking (a lot)... The slip she's in is right near the channel, so it shouldn't be too dificult a situation (although I am sure its always difficult at first).

Too bad you couldn't bring Waymar to Guyana... seems like it would be a beautiful place to sail. I look forward to hearing about your projects. Are you going to start them this winter or next spring/ summer? I'll post about anything I am working on too... I'll post some pictures too, after next weekend.
Dave
Old 08-13-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Dave,

I saw Summer Snow on YachtWorld. From the pics, the cosmetics look really great and the list of equipment as impressive. How did the survey come out? If she is structurally sound you got a really great deal! Congrats!

I'll keep you posted on the various projects- I'm willing to try a number of things, but I wont get to them before next summer at the earliest, or even put them off and do some sailing and keep the projects for the fall/winter...

Happy sailing,

-Mark

Old 08-13-2007

bottleinamessage is an unknown quantity at this point
Waymar: Thanks.. Looks easy, but far from it. It seems, from what I've seen, that the early Jeanneau's were kinda short on storage. I ended up I adding 18 cabinets within the boat. Diana, my "sultan of storage", has found numerous nooks and crannies to store more stuff than I ever thought possible. I'm willing to provide details to anyone interested. The end result is that, we now have a 40' boat (not a 42 as Jeanneau would lead you to believe) that can carry 3+ months of food and supplies and still provides us a stable, comfortable home in which we have been from Maine to Georgetown, Bahamas. We're now considering the ARC to Europe next spring.

I'm glad I did this and wish I could have done it sooner.
Old 08-13-2007

ArgleBargle is on a distinguished road
Attalia

I am also close to closing on a 1985 Attalia. good to hear everyone seems to think so highly of it. would love to hear any problems people have had.

cheers
Old 08-14-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Arglebargle, congrats and welcome! Is it one of the ones listed on Yachtworld? As long as a thorough survey reveals no flaws.. She is versatile....from singlehanded to a party boat for 8!...well built, solid, good looking (especially for a boat built 20+ years ago!).

We've had Waymar for almost five years (last two on the hard...) My only beef is: a) no hot water on my particular boat (which I will fix) and b) that hand crank for the Yanmar diesel is for show only, I have never been able to get it started, even when the engine was warm. I've tried many times ( to test for back-up options) but I've given up and my questions on the general board about Yanmars on SAILNET is that no one else has managed to start it with the crank either.

Bottle, I've done some of my own house renovation and consider myself handy with most tools. I would not attempt what you have been able to do so well. It turned out great... and I agree, storage is key (whether on land or on the water)

Old 08-14-2007

davester is on a distinguished road
Thanks Mark... The survey did turn out good, and Summer Snow is as clean as she looks in the pictures. I think she has been well cared for. The survey seemed very thorough-- it lasted about 9 hours and the surveyor said that she is structurally sound. I had fun and learned a lot during the survey, but it was a huge relief when the surveyor got past all the major systems and things were still looking good.
I hear you when it comes to sailing first and doing projects in the winter... There are a number of things we'd like to do too, but aside from maintenance issues, the other stuff can wait. For example, the stove is not currently in the boat (replaced by a large refrigerator) but we'll probably just barbecue for now.
Congrats to you ArgleBargle. Where are you going to be sailing?
Dave
Old 08-14-2007

ArgleBargle is on a distinguished road
Attalia

Thanks for the info

Yes, my (well, soon to be mine) Attalia has no hot water either. a few other minor things i didnt like - manual bilge pump in the head, low hp engine, etc, but overall quite impressed.

will be sailing in the pacific northwest (well, Canada, so its really the pacific southwest for us) gulf islands/san juan Is etc.

i'll post a pic if i get a chance

what modifications/upgrades have you done/plan? how big a job is the hot water?

cheers
Old 08-14-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
arglebargle,

Next summer plan on the third weekend in June at Port Bedwell on Pender island for a Jeanneau owners roundezvous. Their was one Attalia there last summer. Along with 2 Arcadia's, all 85's, then multitudes of the newer versions from the early to mid 90's on! One of the Arcadia's managed to beat a new 42DS on the last leg of the two loop race, the skipper of said 42DS, ie a sales rep was none to happy the smallest boat in the race beat him! Oh yeah, I will not mention who's Arcadia it was either....... It is a fun time for all, IIRC about 18 boats attended. A trip to a winery on the island, along with lots of drawing prizes for all!

You can get more info from Frasier Yachts, the Jeanneau dealer in BC, or marine servicenter in Seattle serving the US market.

Enjoy your new rig.
Marty