Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013

idosachs is on a distinguished road
Re: Jeanneau Attalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensK View Post
Dear Ido
Welcome here. I envy you that you have won trophies - I do a lot of racing but I am always behind.
Best regars
Jens
Dear Jens,

Thank you for the warm welcome. since we have the same boat (and the same year as well) I can tell you she is more than capable to compete, the Attalia is in her best performance when sailing on 13-15 knots winds.

Here is another picture from another race we participate in (we got to third place )

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Interesting hull paint job.

These older boats WILL and can win races. But some winds they do better at. For me it is 10-15+ that I can get my Arcadia to kick her heels up and go. Less than 5 like a month ago in a race, I always seem to be dead in the water.

Marty
Old 11-11-2013

Dear Marty,
Thx for the remark on the paint Job
You are defiantly right, Light Wind = No movement.
Old 11-11-2013

JensK is on a distinguished road

Dear Ido
Yes, she is doing better with more wind, especially when the waves are not high. Another issue is probably the constant temptation to point too high - still keeping the sails in shape but loosing speed without noticing, before too late. And heeling should probably never be more than 20-25 degrees.
I stayed at The Park Plaza Orchid Hotel in Tel Aviv in 2011 and took a walk in the Tel Aviv marina where I saw an Attalia - was that yours?
Best regards
Jens
31 feet
Old 11-11-2013

If you been in 2011 in Tel Aviv you most likely saw my boat, as far as I can tell there are only three Attlia's in Israel. Today I am mooring in Herzelia Marina which is not that far away. If you have come to Israel again you are always welcome to join me for sailing.

Consider it an open invitation.

Ido
Old 11-11-2013

JensK is on a distinguished road

Dear Ido
Thank you - that would be great. No immediate plans, but I will certainly keep it in mind.
Best regards
Jens
31 feet
Old 11-22-2013
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83

Hi guys!
Welcome Ido! Glad to see you actively sail. As you will have seen from the thread, I finally got my boat to Barbados. Also started racing. so any tips you have on squeezing performance would be most welcome. Next week I'm off to ST-Lucia for their Mango Bowl. and in January we have the Round Barbados Race series. should be fun.

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Old 12-10-2013
Not quite Senior Member

New Question!

I am looking for some Attalia wisdom here.

I recently did a return crossing Barbados-St-Lucia-Barbados. Starboard Tack to St-Lucia and Port Tack return journey.

When on a Port Tack (healing with starboard hull well in the water), I get water ingress. Not sure where from. Its not any of the thru hulls in the head there are two (I had these closed during the crossing).

I'm thinking it may be through the manual bilge pump in the head. I'm not sure if all Attalias have it but on the stern wall in the head I have a y valve with a manual pump and one of hoses ends in the head floor. It's the only thru hull on the starboard side left (which I believe exits the hull on the starboard side close to the stern.
The Jeanneau Attalia Manual I have is unclear when it comes these thru hulls.

Any wisdom/ideas/thoughts would be welcome. I am now in salt water and water down below is very damaging so I would like to avoid it if possible .

Old 02-18-2014

Dear Mark,

According to my experience, you should also check the following places:

1. If it comes from the stern, (I have an 1986 Model) the only places that I could think of is the speedometer, Depth meter system sensors, they are located against the stern wall, and in the 1986 model under the L shape chair.

Other location that you should check:

2. Propeller shaft - This is most common, check the gland and touch it, if it is wet and there is a pool under, you have to tighten the screws or replace the gland rope.

3. Toilet, Sink hoses - open the cabin underneath the sink and check what's going on in there, notice that there are three hoses two from the toilet (in/out) one from the sink. check that all of them are dry.

4. Open water hos for engine cooling - you will find it in front of your engine, going down the bottom and through the engine, flow the line and check if there is a leak.

5. If the salty water are dirty it could be from the exhaust system, follow the exhaust pipe/hose and check that it is dry all the way till the aft cabinet - (If this is the reason, you will only have water in your boat when the engine is running)

6. The Manual bilge pump, is in the WC room on the aft - never happened to me, but could be the reason (most likely not since the out hos isn't going under the water line)

Good Luck

Ido

Last edited by idosachs; 02-18-2014 at 04:39 AM.
Old 04-02-2014
Not quite Senior Member

Thanks Ido,

I'm still stumped. went for a sail again on Sunday. One tack pretty much each way. Nice 20kts of breeze. On the starboard tack, no water ingress. dry bilge. On the return trip, port tack all the way, healing at about 10-15%. Nice comfortable sail. Not much in terms of waves so the bow was not getting any action and no water on deck. I really don't see where the water can be coming from. The rail was not in the water so it could not be the joint.

Its clean salt water which ends up under the floorboards in several sections as far forwards as the one section just forward of the bilge (a little water), with the bulk of the water coming in further aft specifically the sections of the bilge and the two other sections further aft right up to and in front of the engine. The only thru hull would be the engine exhaust (which is on the starboard side near the transom) but then the space between the stringers where the engine is only takes in water from the prop shaft which is a little water a day, quite manageable and the thru hull for the engine water intake, which does not leak. These would take in water even when the boat is docked, which is very little. It is clearly when and only when the boat is on a port tack.

I routinely close the thru hulls for the head and sink while underway so its not that either.

I really want to solve this as I unscrewed the floorboards to rinse off the salt water after each sail. Annoying. Salt water also damages if left so I pump it out and then rinse it with fresh water.

Sherlock Holmes, where are you?