Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Jeanneau
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2014

JensK is on a distinguished road
Re: Jeanneau Attalia

Dear Mark
Certainly an important problem. No bright ideas. I would use the Sherlock Homes looking glass: keep the floorboards off, cover the bilge with paper towel, go sailing, se where the water first comes in.
Best luck
Jens
31 feet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2014

Virgo is on a distinguished road

Mark,
I don't know if you have solved your problem, but I've had the same symptom in our Attalia. I solved it by changing the prop shaft seal to as PSS-seal. I don't know if this is the cure for your problem, but good luck.
Jonas
Old 04-17-2014
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83

Thanks,

Have not been out for about two weeks so have not been able to investigate further.

Jonas, curious about the PSS-seal. was it complicated to install? (it looked easy in the video but that was done in a shop with new parts all round and not in the engine compartment.

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Old 04-19-2014

Hello Waymar,

It was quite easy to change to the PSS-seal. The problem was linked to the "great" space around the shaft. I hade to make a bigger hole in the wall between the engine compartment and the space behind (where I have my batteries). I did that for hand with a small tiger saw. Before that I had released the shaft from the engine and pushed it backward, to get more working space. (Check the end of the shaft to make sure there are no sharp edges - they can destroy the new seal.) With a bigger hole it was "just" to get down to it and mount the new seal, according to the instructions. I fixed the end of the venting in the starboard locker, to make sure it's over the water surface.

Take a look at the pictures and good luck!
Jonas
Attached Thumbnails
Jeanneau Attalia-bild-1.jpg   Jeanneau Attalia-bild-2.jpg   Jeanneau Attalia-bild-3.jpg  

Last edited by Virgo; 04-19-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-28-2014

Backstay adjuster?

Hello,

I'm about to change my backstay adjuster from a mechanical type to an arrangement with cascade and a mainsheet system. I have a masthead rig. Does anyone else have the system I've explained above? I wonder how much force will occur in the system, which leads to how strong the equipment have to be. Any experience?

/Jonas
Old 05-08-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Oh yeah, I know ALL ABOUT that vent for a pss shaft. I was the first one the shop did with a vent on a sail boat. Not a big deal while motoring. But first time we were sailing, my daughter went below, yells up, dad, is there supposed to be water above the floor boards?!?!?!?!

Oh sheet! so lots of bailing etc later, I figure out the vent is bringing water inside theboat. prop is moving.....so I vicegrip the end of the tube, problem solved temporarily any how. Later look at directions, and figure out the vent tube is to be ABOVE the waterline in a loop per say......opening was BELOW the water line! hmmmmmm no wonder it was siphoning into the bilge! Any way, "I" redid the vent tube, no issues with this since.

Altho a year ago, came back to boat after a few days, water again above the floor boards. See water coming in from the shaft seal. Pull boat, empty before and after pulling....... The carbon shaft seal had loosened over the years. Also again based on directions, figured out the intial installer, did not tighten the shaft seal as tight as directions call for, so when it went, it went.

not sure I would go with another pss, or go back to a packing gland, both are good, both bad.

Marty