Old 08-17-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Clouseau on the phone
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Waymar,

IIC if you go to the Jeanneau USA site, ie manufacture site, and the Jeanneau owners site, the roundesvous places are listed. 4 maybe 5 are doen thruout NA if you will vs just US. As the NW/SW one I went to is co sponsered by the canadian and local US dealers. There is one in Cal, Catilina Island IIRC, Cheasapeak bay has one......Not remembering any others off the top of my head. The NW one is the longest running one at 7 yrs.

As far as the headliner etc repair, I probably have tween 40 and 60 hrs. About 20'ish for the v berth, 10-20 for the head, 30'ish for the rear berth, and have not tried to add up as of yet unfinished, maybe tomorrow putting the main cabin together, as far as new headliner on the plywood screw on headliner there. Right now the cabinet doors, vberth doors, steps and flooring is in the garage getting the cleaned up hardware and new varnish and floor sealant. I just have to revarnish the nav desk, which currently is the work space untill the rest of salon is put back together.

I have heard the saying more of a "Ja know" or is it "je no" not sure I am spelling the Jea saying correctly, the last part is said know or no. at least that is how teh NA pres said it! not that that counts for anythng mind you!

Marty
Old 08-17-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Can I switch gears here for a minute? I like Jeanneaus, the way they look and are designed. The 47'ers and such have the engine more forward for better ballast etc. But I was told they were cheaper versions of Beneteau? Really, I don't know, so just asking what the build quality and your opinions are. Both French boats, right, but which is considered better? I am talking about the Sun Odyssey(their better model?) and maybe the First series. All opinions and facts welcome. Sorry to hijack, just a Quick question.

Vaya con Dios
Old 08-18-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHand View Post

LOL wish I could do that. How did you manage to insert a sound clip, and how do you get it?

Marty - Looking forward to the pics of the job in progress and the finished product. Good luck tomorrow. Just remember: The beer is for when the job is done, not before... . I'm sure several of us will be "attempting" some of that. Have you tackled the floor. I,ve got some discoloration*in a small part (Galley) and am considering refinishing..

BF, no problem. I am asking myself similar questions. My 1983 Attalia is very well built for what she is. When I look at the new boats and their plasticky interiors, the "thickness" (or lack of) construction and the leaking problems etc (not just the French boats , the Hunters, Bavarias, etc), I'm very happy with what I have. My Attalia, even after 24 years, still has a better designed and better looking interior than many new boats (IMHO). I'll let someone with ownership or research experience chime in on this. I'll also look at some of them on line...the 47 you say.....

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Old 08-18-2007

Mark,

Hopefully I will be done by the end of the day, in the mean time, need to get a blower to an employee to clean up a home that was blower barked yesterday, then BF with my lovely spouse, then home. I'll see how much I have to help her in our yard vs running the 10 min to boat to put things together. I did get the hardware on the parts an dpieces in the garage last night. Being as it is only about 8:30am local time should be able to get done!

As far as current models in the Group Beneteau line. As I understand it, Beneteau itself is the Chevy version, with the first series being a bit more seaworthy vs the number series. Then Jeanneau. ALL boats will be SO's currently, with a new SF line coming out that will put Jeanneau more in line with Beneteau as far as a true race vs cruise line. Unlike in the past few years, where there was an SF version, with a race orientation keel, ie deeper, higher aspect sails etc, but the same hull. There is now a std SO with a performance model, that will be the equal of the old SF versions. Unfortunetly, excepting for the SO32iP, none of the performance models will have a cockpit traveler, they will all be cabin top mounted....grrrrrr........ Check out www.sunfast3200.com for the new rig, then look at the video of the just launched boat. Looks fast and cool! THen above this is the Waquiez line, ie more like a cadilac if you will, the beneteaus being a chevy, Jeanneau a Pontiac if you will.

Back in the 80's, Jeanneau was a bit ahead of time as far as what was stock availible, ie adjustible back stays, the aft head like on the Attalia and Arcadia. While they could race IOR, they do not have the IOR typical hull, more of a plain reasonable fast safe hull to sail. I do not remember whom designed the Attalia, but Tony Castro designed the Arcadia and following models, teh sundream and sunway 28's, all the same floorplan, hull for the most part, with a few differences. Then a 36 and 38' sugar scoop version was also a TC design. Sun something or other. not rememebering off the top of my head. That rig has won a number of ocean races. THen the arcadia dependig upon where it is campained, has won and done well racing too. Two division firsts at Swftsure out of Victoria BC, a true ocean race from Victoria to the swiftsure bouy at the mouth of the straight of jande fuca and the pacific and back. One has been the local either Victoria or vancouver yacht clubs #1 boat of all boats racing in that area back on 05. I do have to admit, I am not sure that the current models are as well built as say my 80's model. Some things probably better, other area's, not so sure. I feel the whether it is better or worst will depend upon what you are looking for in a boat.

Marty
Old 08-20-2007

Finished the redo and varnish of walls, and refinish of the flooring with Ultimate Sole. I used a spar varnish for the interior walls etc. Then new cusions as of the end of June. She is Looking pretty

Old 08-20-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Hey Marty,

Its seems to have turned out great. except. ...Can you resize the pics. Not sure if its my age but I really would like to see the detail. did you apply the wooden panels above the settees or was that a factory install?

Old 08-20-2007

Mark,

Just got hoe for a minute or so, Did not see an easy way to enlarge the pics. May have to contact CD or Cam to see if there is a way. I am sure there is, but being a non puter junkie, it gets interesting none the less. The funny thing is, I moderate a section in another forum that is larger than this one. Usually I need to go up a level to fix things like this. I might also need to use a different addy to get a larger picture off of imageshack.

As far as teh wood you see, ALL of it is stock. If you go to teh J-O site, and then to the boat info, then brochure area, the Arcadia brochures are ones I have scanned, sent to malcolm to put online. There is a wood inner by the windows, a teak plywood behind the sette backs, then a teak table, etc. She is still pretty stock escept for the rigging, I am doing a few tweaks to it to make it easier to sail etc.

Marty
Old 08-22-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Hey Marty,

Just looking at your pics again... Who did the upholstery? It seems to have come out really nice. (mine is still stock) Did you reuphoslter or did you also change the foam?

By the way to enlarge the photos, If you are using photobucket etc, you get to choose the pixel size. the larger the pixel size the larger the photos appear in the post. I had the reverse problem and did not know how to get them smaller...

Joubert Nivelt are the designers of the Attalia. I googled them and they are still around but the only thing I recognsie are some cats for Fontain Pajot..

That sufast 3200 looks fast. One of the things I'll be focusing on is trying to tweak performance as well. ( although not to the Giu extent...) also not at the expense of comfort...

Old 08-23-2007

Mark,

Yes the cushions are brand new sunbrella covers, along with new foam. about $8G US. Covering can run anywhere from $30'ish per sq yard, to upwards of $150 for some sunbrella fabrics. We went thru Calico Corners. I think they area a chain fabirc type covering store. May or may not be in Canada.

The SF3200 is about $165G base delivered to the west coast as I was told by local dealer. Probably closer to 200K by the time one adds a few niceties, extra sails etc.

As far as teh pics go, I figured out on another forum to do a link, then the pic comes out ok. I have an out of water pic somewheres from last June.

Marty