Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Jeanneau
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Marty...what was your experience with the Ultimate Sole...it is a bit tough to see in the small pics...but are you happy with the results?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
George,

Putting the stuff on was interesting. I put one coat on after inital sanding, cleaning etc, then the other per directions 12'ish hrs later, and 2nd coat was really rough etc. so had to sand that coat down and redo. Found it was best to light sand between the coats to make sure final was smooth. Otherwise, having only been in the boat for a week, and on the floorboards for maybe 3, it looks nice. As far as longevity, you would have to ask someone that has had it for awhile.

I have three smallish boards that are glued into the hull, those were a bit tough to do, and make smooth, but they still came out looking good. I also did the wood stairs/engine cover that was varnish only, Sanded those down, then coated with the US, hoping it would last a bit better than varnish.

Last saterday while installing, a shower came thru, and go the floor board wet outside the boat, water beaded up, tip the boards on there side, and off went the water, a quick wipe off, and they looked clean and shiny!

Varnish I used "top secrete" spar varnish. Either wiped on with a cloth, or a foam brush. US I used a foam brush as recomended too, altho NOT there brush, typical home depot, which is probably what theirs is but marked up a whole bunch.

I forgot to mention last post, material needed was 35 yds for the sunbrella, and 2 more yds of the vinyl used for the ceilings and hull liner etc. This was a bit more than really needed, as we did piping vs non piped cushions that were stock. Many of the cusions ie main living area are contured which cost a few more $$ to make up, custon cut etc.

Marty
Old 08-23-2007

ArgleBargle is on a distinguished road
closed

well, just thought i'd chime in to say i'd closed on the Attalia. i'm pretty happy. its the first boat i've owned, though have sailed on a jeanneau of simlilar vintage as well as a newer 35' sunfast. did most of my sailing on my dad's 30' Fisher motor sailer, so will in some ways be a treat compared to that.

planning mostly daysails for the next month and then some gulf island hopping for a week at the end of september. getting some preventative maintenance and doing a few minor modifications first.

have been following your threads with interest and i expect i'll soon post a few bone headed questions for you.

cheers

-ArgleBargle
Old 08-24-2007

bottleinamessage is an unknown quantity at this point
re: Recovering hull sides and head liner.

In my boat the hull sides in the forward and aft cabins were upholstered with a foam back fabric (think pink and ugly) that was glued on. In the aft cabin, just a portion of the ceiling (above where your feet would go) was also upholstered. The ceiling areas were, like everyone elses, falling down and the hull side fabrics were stained. I thought for quite a while about what to replace it with. Finally, a brainstorm! I discovered that the hull side fabric was glued to very nice sheets of a thin plywood which was firmly glued to the hull. I removed all the fabric from the ply, cleaned and prepped it, and recovered it with FORMICA! I found that I could order sheets larger than 4 x 8

I used standard Formica adhesive and trimmed it out with teak battens on the edges.

Did the same thing in the ceiling areas of the aft cabins. Looks really good, and is easy to keep clean.
Old 08-24-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
Argle! congrats and welcome to the dark side. I think you made a great choice. I saw her many times on YacthWorld. The heater will come in handy and you can more or less sail year round right?

When we bought Waymar I had sailed only daysailors and felt intimidated by the size. (Story goes that my brother in-law, who had never sailed but got the bug through me was pushing to buy. I was suggesting a trailor-sailor for him to learn on - he had never sailed, but we came across Waymar and it was a no brainer).

Anyhow, five years on and we could not be happier. It is easy to sail and you get a pretty quick handle on docking etc . We've done mostly maintenance over time but I'm planning a whole bunch of improvements when we get back. The more I think about it the more I think of keeping her for the longhaul (i.e spending money and never able to recover it .

Bottle can you post some pics? I don't know who "decorates" these boats but they could do with a few more colour choices. pink wallcovering huh.... my settees are original.(notice the colour):

Its on the list...

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Old 08-24-2007

Mark,

Can I politely say those cushion covers are disgusting! I would/could see replacing them sooner than later!

Your table and some other items look typical Jeanneau as compared to my rig. IN fact the table, looks exactly like mine, including the mast support post, and the flooring in the upper right into the forward V-Berth area!

Argle, congrats, hopefully you get that boat here to the left coast in one piece etc. or at least I seem to recall you being here in the NW US SW Canada area.

marty
Old 08-25-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Yeah Marty you don't have to be polite! The cushion covers are...well, original.

My plan is to have the admiral take over this one during recommissioning! Sky is the limit (she has good taste).

Did you say new cushions and covers, including labour cost you $8K??????

Old 08-25-2007

Mark,

Yeah, it was right around that amount. I think it could have been done for as little as 5-6000. But spouse whom has great taste in interior stuff, and whom covered this, did the extra stuff, like piping on edges, which your pic does not appear that you have. That takes a few more yds of material, and labor. For my nav desk, she, ie upholsterior needed 2 yds of material, 1 for the top and sides, 1 for the piping. About 60-70% of the yd needed for the piping ended up as waste. Can we say OUCH!

Also, I will not quote this, but I believe this to be correct, we had 4 new white and blue stiped pillow cases made with white edging, along with 2 rectangular pillows made in the cushion material with 3-4" of flange, and some rope trim. I think the cost of these pillows is in that $$$ amount, along with me having a 9% sales taxe here, that is also included in the overall cost. Wife has interjected here, it was actually closer to $10G! Including the 6 pillows! Her face upon looking at pic of interior, was worst the a PS by Gui! Foam is teh most expensive part of the equation, and not worth being cheap on!

IIRC there was 1500 in material cost, I supplied the vinyl. THe VEE berth we went with 5" foam vs the stock and everywhere else 4" foam. The making of the contoured settee seats were about $600 extra. You have to use a thicker foam, then it is cut to fit contour.

Sheryl went for the gusto. There was NO 2nd class we will do minimum to get by BS as my ex would have done. She was looking at some material that was $150 yd, and went ouch, so we ended up with a 40$ material that at least in my eyes looks great.

Marty
Old 08-25-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Mark...those cushions could be used as a lead story on decorating in WHIPPED magazine!! (G)
Old 08-26-2007
Not quite Senior Member

George,

Are to referring to Waymar's current, and "very stylish" pink decor or Marty's upgrade.. They could probably be both featured.

PS. I think this is the ideal project for the admiral to take on.... (if she has taste of course...