Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Jeanneau
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008

larsthegeek is on a distinguished road
Fuel capacity

Friends,

Has anyone installed a larger fuel tank on their Attalia and if so, where?

I have concerns that the 10 gal capacity is a bit on the small side and I prefer not to have jugs of diesel lashed here and there.

Cheers,

James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
James,

Not sure about usage on an Attalia, but on the slightly smaller Arcadia I own, I can go about 8'ish hrs on my 7 gal tank, with a 16HP Yanmar. If I am not a throttle to the floor type motor, I use less than a gal and hr at 5-6 knots, if I try to go over 6, then it jumps to 1+ gals per hr of use.

As far as fitting a bigger tank. assuming the two have tanks are in equal spots, ie for me under the starboard seat, removing the one and installing a bigger tank would not be that hard, but still an 8-12 hr job if I had to guess on time! I could see a use for a bigger tank if fueling stations were few and far in between, but with a 5 gal cont I keep in that locker, I can go some 12-14 hrs of motoring pretty easy, for me in Puget sound, I'd pass plenty of fuel spots in that time!

Marty
Old 08-12-2008

Stephane99 is on a distinguished road
Question about refrigeration unit and head tank replacement

Hello,

Lots of interesting project pops up when you get a new old boat... So far we have thoroughly enjoyed our new Attalia and have had a busy summer sailing season except for some 'discoveries' that the surveyor missed when looking at the boat last fall.

We had a leak in our dark water tank, it is patched now but we will need a new one, has anyone ever replaced this tank ? I am told I need to have it custom made, has anyone replace this tank in an Attalia and found a fit on the market from a pre-built one ?

We also found out that our refrigeration unit was toast, I got a replacement unit and was looking for advice on where to place it. It was originally in the lazarette but that doesn't really work, I think this is why we replacing it, the unit gets banged up when you keep going into the lazarette.

The person that I am working with is suggesting to install it under the sink, I am reluctant to install it there because it is already crowded, there is the water pump and all the hoses down there. I am thinking that installing it there will make it too crowded if I need to fix anything else. The other option is under the settee but we use the space for storage.

Has anyone install a refrigeration unit ? If so where and what is your experience in this location.

Thanks

Stephane Gagnon
Old 08-13-2008

Stephane,

As far as a custom built tank goes...........you probably could/should be able to find one that will fit. It may not be the exact size, but reasonably close enough that you could use a stock size available. A local fellow redid his Sunshine 36 from that mid 80 era, and he did not comment about not being able to find a new tank. Not sure if it was slightly smaller, bigger equal but different demensions......

Not sure what to say on the refer unit, as my Arcadia of the same vintage is only an ice box. In the sink area would be about the only place on my boat to put it!

marty
Old 08-28-2008

jlv7777 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephane99 View Post
Hello,

Lots of interesting project pops up when you get a new old boat... So far we have thoroughly enjoyed our new Attalia and have had a busy summer sailing season except for some 'discoveries' that the surveyor missed when looking at the boat last fall.

We had a leak in our dark water tank, it is patched now but we will need a new one, has anyone ever replaced this tank ? I am told I need to have it custom made, has anyone replace this tank in an Attalia and found a fit on the market from a pre-built one ?

We also found out that our refrigeration unit was toast, I got a replacement unit and was looking for advice on where to place it. It was originally in the lazarette but that doesn't really work, I think this is why we replacing it, the unit gets banged up when you keep going into the lazarette.

The person that I am working with is suggesting to install it under the sink, I am reluctant to install it there because it is already crowded, there is the water pump and all the hoses down there. I am thinking that installing it there will make it too crowded if I need to fix anything else. The other option is under the settee but we use the space for storage.

Has anyone install a refrigeration unit ? If so where and what is your experience in this location.

Thanks

Stephane Gagnon

Stephane,

We have installed ourselves (Meeting with ISO 8099 rules required in Spain) a 50L dark water tank. We did in the pope starboard (outside) we put at the bottom buying a form to take into account the curve of the Attalia.
We passd a tube from the WC to the tank, a tube from the tank to the outside (roof), to empty in harbour, and a tube back
to WC. Also a small tube steping out among engine indicators to breathe.
It tooks us almost 8 hours of work but we saved $1200 that wanted us to pay.
Because the trunk is big is not difficult to install it.
Also we have a refrigeration unit under the sink, if you open the door on the left we have the electrical pump an in the right is the refrigeration unit, on the ouside we have a small screen that indicates the temperature.

As soon as I get back I will take some pictures of both...

About the bilge pumps, we have three, 2 electrical one under the table, another in the engine, and the manual in the shower.

I will keep you update...
Jacobo
Old 12-12-2008

Malabo is on a distinguished road
Post Considering purchase of an Attalia

I am looking a purchasing a mid 80's Attalia and am generally hearing positive things for inside waters (BC, Washington).

Are there any owners out there who can comment on the following:

Adding hot water/creating a reasonable shower (does it have a shower sump?)

Adding water capacity;

Is the fuel capacity a problem?;

The portlights are a bit crazed and seem on the flimsy side. Has anyone experience re-doing these?

Any condensation issues in cooler climates?

The ice box is noted as poorly insulated. Can this be corrected?

The 12 HP diesel is on the light side. Is this an issue?

Thanks for any feedback.

Rob
Old 12-14-2008

They are good to excellent boats for pugetsound up into the canadian waters to the north. A fairly large Jeanneau group meet at bedwell harbor the last weekend in June for a roundezvous also. Mostly newer boats, but a few Attalia's show up.

They are built like my 2' shorter Arcadia, no real ability to put a shower in, as there is no sump. Hotwater might be doable. Water capacity, probably not too hard, as teh tank is a flexable bladder under a seat. so add another bladder under another seat. I personally find that I have filled my 22 gal bladder maybe 3 times in 4 yrs if that! But then, I have not done any major week long cruises either.

Not sure about your fuel capacity, I have 7 gals, if I full throttle it I have about 7-8 hrs of use, if at 3/4 throttle, I use .5 gals an hr with a 16hp twin cyl Yanmar. The tank should be in an equal spot as mine, under the starboard cockpit seat, while a PITA to remove and put in a bigger one, not a big deal. I find it easier to carry a 5 gal jug with a non drip/pour spout, Ie one that I can put the spout in the filler, push down and fuel comes out.

Ice box will keep a couple bags of ice for 2-3 days in 70-80F temps.

Portlights? I will assume the side windows. I have had a leak or two, and got this fixed. Not sure they would be easy to R&R, but would be doable. Try to use the old ones as molds. Mine are in two pieces per side, not sure about the attalia, would assume equal.

Argle bargle on here sold/traded in his Attalia on a Hanse a few months back, you might try to see if the one you are looking at is his old one. He might be able to get you some info on it. Or if you go to Jeanneau-owners.com, there is a list of owners that self registar, see if the one has a previous/current owner to get info if it is a dealer owned rig/ ie traded in on a larger/different boat.

I believe there are clost to a dozen Attalia's in the greater puget sound area including north to BC.

marty
Old 12-14-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Malabo..nice little boat..a true sailer..there are a few around in Europe..I like them.
Old 12-15-2008

Malabo is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the feedback

I have located a previous owner--at least there is an email on the Jeanneau-Owners site, so may get feedback.

I also noticed that there are some attalias which do indicate a shower, so perhaps there is room for a sump. For my needs, a shower (even if very basic), and refrigeration are required.

Rob
Old 12-16-2008

I believe a few folks have retro fitted refrigeration. Showers are unknown to me. If the head area is anywhere near the size of my arcadia, I would go what the original owner of my boat did while cruising into Desolation, take a sun warmed up outside shower bag along. And or hit marina's every few days. Generally speaking, there are plenty of marinas in this area that have showers.

Are you looking at the boat Oak something north of Victoria? That is only local Attalia I could see for sale.

marty