SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Jeanneau Attalia

109K views 301 replies 33 participants last post by  Waymar83 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've been reading the sailnet fora for a few years and have not come across anyone with any comments about the Jeanneau Attalia. Anybody have any info/experience? My 1983 has served very well for the past 4 yrs (on Lake Ontario).

I have really only one minor irritant on my boat: no hot water.

Mark

#239 · (Edited)
Hello,

I told you lately about our plans to change the rig on our Virgo. The new mast is ready and we´re waiting for delivery :) I find out that the wooden plate below the mast foot were rotten, but that is fixed. I´m in the process of mounting the new chain plates, which will be placed to the hull in the locker in front of the kitchen respectively that nav table. The chain plate will be connected to the rig on deck with a tie rod. To strengthen the deck I´ve made a beam and I´ll do the same on the hull in the lucker.
Here are some pictures of the process. I´ll post new one when I´ve got further in the process.

/Jonas
PS. i don´t know why the pictures are up and down etc.:confused: DS.

Attachments

#240 ·
So Jonas, How is the installation going? When you say wooden plate below the mast foot, do you mean the balsa core section underneath the mast step? if so what did you replace it with, Balsa or nidacore or something else? I have a few soft spots and am looking to open the deck up (from the top) and replace the soft wood. But I'm not sure what to use, 1/2 inch contoured balsa or nidacore.

#242 · (Edited)
Yesterday I put the last layer of epoxi and weave on the beams for the chainplates :) and I plan to fix the chainplates etc during this week. See the pictures below. I've test mounted one of the chainplates and you can also see the tie rod.

I mean the core section underneath the mast step. It was a little bit difficult to see what type of wood it was under the mast step, because the wood was rotten. I think it was some sort of a board, maybe made of balsa. The wood was inside a "chamber" with epoxi/plastic around and the fibre was laying in the same direction as the boat. I replaced it with marine plywood, weave and epoxi. I wasn´t sure to use wood again, but i pre drilled the board with 25 mm holes in the positions for the screws that fix the mast step to the deck. I´ll use 10 mm screws and the plan is that there will be no wood "in the air".

I´m not sure what I should use instead of balsa if I should open up the deck and replace the core. I have no experience of Nidacore, but I have replaced the core in a smaller boat with divinycell which worked out well.

Another thing - I found out that the attachment between the roof in the saloon and the bulkhead in front of the nav table respectively the kitchen wasn´t good anymore. I could move the bulkhead back and forward a few centimeter. I think it is the forces on the sheeting rail that has contributed to the problem. A little pice of weave and some epoxi and the problem is no more (se picture below) :D

Another thing again - I´ve changed all the gas pipes. See the status of the pipe on the picture below. It looks a little bit worse than it is, but I´m glad iI´ve changed them.

/Jonas
PS. I still don´t know why the pictures are in the wrong position.:confused: DS.

Attachments

#241 · (Edited)
Anybody else have a 7/8" prop shaft? Ok so it's not 7/8"... It's obviously metric. Found a cutlass bearing that will hopefully fit in the UK from A.S.A.P Supplies Limited. Hasn't anybody replaced the cutlass bearing on the Attalia?

When we took the old one off, we saw that it had been machined to reduce the outer thickness...we put it back on till we get a new one that fits properly.

I now have a brand new 7/8" cutlass bearing for sale....

#245 ·
Thanks Waymar83,

At last I´m ready with Virgos chainplates, check the pictures to see the result. I´m quite satisfied with it. A tip if you´d like to fix chainplates - take away the backboard before you start. It´s much more easy to work. I took it away at the end, when I should drill for the threaded rods. Should have done that earlier :(.

/Jonas

Attachments

#244 ·
Well the cutlass bearing 7/8 x 1 3/8 is too small. But the North American sizes available, next one up is too big. The shaft appears to be 21.8mm and the inside diam of the strut is 36.2mm. Where does one get that kind of cutlass bearing.

In the meantime, had the old one put back as we launch tomorrow.

#249 ·
Hi Jonas,

Looks very solid. Can I ask why you added the rod below deck and glassed it into the hull. I know it will be much stronger but are you expecting that much bigger loads? Did you add to the mast height?
Hello Waymar,

The new mast and the bom will both be longer than the original and the sail plan vill be 20 % larger. I suppose the loads will be like it was before, because of the righting moment is nearly exactly the same. We'll sail faster than before in light winds and we'll probably need the set the first ref earlier then before. So why stronger construction? I think that the old version was a little bit to weak and i'd like to be sure. The main reason why I chose the actual construction is that the rigging hit the deck between to knees. Therefor I fixed the rigging in new chain plates glassed into the hull.

Today I've fixed with my new mast :) and hopefully I got the sails during this weak. If so happens we'll sail on saturday.

/Jonas (Virgo)

#247 ·
Hello all,

Just wanted to quickly introduce myself as a future Attalia owner. I am close to buying an 85 Attalia that needs a lot of work. The current owner sails it once in a while and claims that everything is working fine in terms of engine, sails, etc. She is floating so thats a good sign.
Wondering if anyone has any tips on what to look for in terms of unacceptable damage, issues, etc before buying.
Thanks a lot and look forward to making fellow owner acquaintances here.

Good winds!
Francisco

#250 ·
Hello Francisco and welcome,

Waymar has all ready given you a wise answer. When you look at the deck and the foam/balsa in the sandwich construction take a look below the mast step. I've changed the materiel below my mast step during this winter. You can read about it above.

Good luck!
Jonas

#248 · (Edited)
Hi Francisco, Welcome!

With a question so open, You will get hundreds of opinions ;)

If you know what you are doing then fine, but if you are no expert, like most of us, get a professional survey from a reputable surveyor. He/she will identify things you will not have thought of. Of course it depends on the possible price but I think it's a wise investment. At a minimum you will get an itemized todo list and you can also use it to negotiate the price down as he/she will give you an estimated market value.

I won't go into the obvious stuff like rigging, hull, engine, keel and keel bolts, etc..
For an 85 look closely at the headliner. The foam backing tends to disintegrate and you will have no choice but to replace it. I try and do lots of the work myself . Partly for cost but also because if I do it, I know how to fix it in the future. Also below deck, Look also for telltale signs of leaks... The windows may need rebedding or hatches replacing...

You can look for a soft deck as well. All fixable for a price... Tell us how it goes! Also your location and where you plan to sail.

#251 ·
Hi Jonas!

Send somme pics! Anthything that gets the boat to go faster i would lové to see. We hauled out two weeks ago for about a week. Redid the bottom. She flies. We often top out at 8.2 kts. Regularly hit the 7s. Lots of fun....

#255 ·
Jonas,

That looks like a lot of work on the shroud part. May have to do the same myself. I have a loose u-bolt or two for the lower shrouds. may have to open up the area like you did. I may also open up the mast base if I pull the mast in a month or two, along with replacing the wire, which is all original.

I was told the wood under the mast was plywood.......I'd probably try to use something that will not rot per say. aluminum plate, starboard or other equal.

Off to clean the deck etc of my Arcadia.

marty

#257 ·
Thanks for the information Waymar and Virgo,

Unfortunately the sale fell through as the owner went ahead and sold it to someone else during his dealings with me. Let's just say we had a few words.Bummer as I liked the boat and had good plans for it. However, I do have a chance of obtaining an Arcadia which as far as I can tell is almost identical to the Attalia. I will be sailing it in Puerto Rico. Will update if the sale does close.

Good Winds!

#258 ·
Luna,

An arcadia is a bit smaller in length. But similar otherwise. It is a Tony Castro design vs Fauroux? sp? for the attalia.

Mark,
I'm in the water year around here in the salish sea. So no spring commissioning per say as you had to do in Canada. Only what I do when needed. I do need to repair replace rigging at some point in time, along with strip bottom of paint, or cover with a non copper in the next few years due to new state laws about no copper in bottom paints by 2020 or there about.

Marty

#259 · (Edited)
During the last week me and a friend have sailed a race called Seapilot2star in the Baltic Sea. It was a very good opportunity to test our new rigg - I'm satisfied! Our dear Virgo now sails higher against the wind then before and she is sailing faster in lighter winds. We took the first reef when it was blowing around 10 m/s. We have been waiting for our new sails and we got the fore sail two weeks ago but we are still waiting for the main sail. We got a temporary main sail so we could participate in the race. That sail was a little smaller compared to our new main sail.
Because of the delay of the delivery we hadn't test nor train so it was a little bit of trial and error during the race. We didn't won the race but we weren't the last boat neither and we laughed a lot which was the most important this time :)
/Jonas

#260 ·
Hi gang!

I'm as proud as a peacock these days... We raced last week and got our very first, FIRST. Against boats we have been racing for over two years! We used to always finish last by a wide margin. Now we have a new headsail, a clean bottom, more experienced crew and I also brought onboard a tactician who also knows sail trim. We are beside ourselves! Last race of the season this Sunday ! It's nice to be competitive...

#261 ·
Last race of the season a close, very close second. I will not quibble. We are now the boat to beat on the Island! Although I'm sure our handicap will probably change next year. Now to do some casuals sailing, some maintenance and a few upgrades. Quick question, what kind of roller furling do each of you have? My UltraFurl ( made in Canada ) has been very, very good but I need to change several extrusions.

#266 ·
I am currently looking for a boat for a liveaboard/ cruiser, and my pops sent me a link to a Jeanneau Attalia 32. So far I have fell in love with the design of both the Hull and the Interior and looks like a great boat to take around the Caribbean, and possibly visit family in California (once I am experienced enough though). My only concern is the headroom of the Attalia since I am just a hair under 6'1". How is the headroom on the Attalia, and the Sunrise?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.