Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Jeanneau
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011

AlexMia is on a distinguished road
Bit2sky,

First, there is no place on this blog that saids that members had to be English born, and your comment about English being my 3 language was un-fortunate.

Second, buying a brand new boat that has a non disclose damage is a criminal offense in the US, period.

Third, i paid 300 K for a new boat from a trusted manufacturer and a dealer with some reputation in the market, and what i got was a terrible commissioning of a boat with 70 engine hours and a broken keel, and disastrous paint job.

On top of that, the batterys drain after an hour without reason, the autopilot is not working, the AC uniits some times don't want to cool off, and the service manager of Florida Yatchs is always busy, it had an attitude,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Your right, you do not have to BE english born, but your english is a bit foreign in the way it was written, SO, I am trying to make sure I am understanding what you are writing. Is there a problem with that? Yes, I could have asked differently.........but I still asked to make sure I knew how you were writing. I see this issue with Paulo quite frequently, do I have an issue, no, but I also know he is from a different speaking country, and know to ask if I do not understand his written words, as I will with others to verify what they say. If this is an issue, not sure what to say on this.

Also true, that undisclosed damage is criminal or illegal, BUT, if the grounding occurred, they dealer did not know, as a hired delivery person did the delivery, they may NOT have know the keel was damaged. I do not know if a grounding occured, nor do you.....so how your keel got to the way it is, you need to hope they tell you, or fix it!. pretty simple.

Then again, maybe they did, tried to push it off on the next buyer, so go after them to the best you can. BUT, they have offered to fix the issue, let them fix it.

With that,

enjoy your day or evening.
Old 05-12-2011

by the way, there is thread Paulo started, where it took IIRC 2 wks for a charter company to notice a keel had fallen OFF, during a grounding of an SO37 in England. You do have a well built boat overall.............

Marty
Old 05-13-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"Second, buying a brand new boat that has a non disclose damage is a criminal offense in the US, period."
Gents, there's some confusion here.
1-There's no US federal law requiring a boat or vehicle dealer to disclose information, especially if they don't know about it. For HOME sales, there is a burden to disclose known or suspected faults, like asbestos contamination or lead paint, and I believe that's either federal or nearly uniform across the states. But for boats? No.

2-State laws wil vary by state, but again...and especially in FloriDUH, as a number of their own leading papers refer to it, the consumer laws are weak and enforcement usually consists of "Hey, sit down and have a drink."

I doubt Florida has a law requiring disclosure of what a dealer would call "It's been fixed good as new, it isn't a material issue". In any case, criminal fraud requires KNOWLEDGE of the defect, no one has proven that here. There's just one picture of one ugly keel joint, that sure doesn't look very professional from here.

Without getting distracted by the nuances...The question remains, is it fishy or is it foul? [pun intended]

Alex, do you have any larger or clearer pictures?
Old 05-13-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
First off, My 25 yr old Jeanneau every 2-3 yrs when I haul it out, has cracks to a point like what is shown. As do many others I know of other brands etc. Typical issue to a point for sailboats with keels.

BUT, with this in mind, TO me it still looks like someone grounded the boat with that much of a crack in the keel moving from initial yard, to boat show, to the yard you took delivery from IIRC the Dealer in FL has MANY sales sites. Who is to say how many times the boat was moved etc.

Hei Marty,

That don't seem normal to me. My Bavaria after seven years of use and some soft groundings (on sand and very slow speed) did not have a single crack. I think that what AlexMia wants to say is that what is normal to have in that place, where the keel joins the hull, is a flexible joint of mastic, not some paint trying to cover a problem. And criminal is perhaps a strong word but is illegal to try to conceal a defect in a new boat (or at least it his here).

I understand Mia doubts after a dealer that instead of discussing with him a problem try to conceal it. I understand why he does not have any confidence in that dealer. I would had the same doubts.

I think that after what happened I would demand somebody responsible from the factory to have a look at the boat, to see if it is in perfect conditions to have the keel remounted or not, I would demand a full explanation of what happened and a full apologize from jeanneau. I would also contract a good independent surveyor to follow all the re-montage of the keel to see if the steel attachment is not bent and if everything is absolutely perfect. But that is just me that don't like to be treated as a fool.

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-13-2011

Paulo,

I wold agree, have someone from the factory or equal look at it in person, correct as needed. In a nutshell, what I have said all along, have the dealer/factory fix the issue and move on.

I still feel the boat was grounded to have "THAT" big of cracks in that area, and probably NOT disclosed or known by the dealer if a paid for delivery person moved the boat.

My last pull out did have a few cracks, yes due to some soft to med hits in sand etc, not HARD objects like rocks. Filled in, painted and moved on, as I did 3 and 6 years ago when we bought the boat. They were also NOT that big either. This does not appear to be a bad labor install.

I would also like to see the actual front bottom of the keel, that would or should show damage if a grounding occurred.

I would also say, "CRIMINAL" is not the correct use for nondisclosure of damage on something like this, as most folks, even with new boats will have a surveyor look over the boat, to see if there is any damage, non working items etc. IF OP did not hire a surveyor for his new boat, that was his non willing to pay about $400-450 to verify things were in order. No different than real estate agents recommend one have a home surveyed when shelling out these kind of bucks, euro's etc for a home.

As Hellosailor said, some states do not have laws stating disclosure, hence why BETTER dealers will suggest a survey for used, and even for a new boat.....Hence why I did not understand the initial use of "Criminal"

Marty
Old 05-13-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post

I still feel the boat was grounded to have "THAT" big of cracks in that area, and probably NOT disclosed or known by the dealer if a paid for delivery person moved the boat.

Hummm!!! if the boat was delivered by a skipper that has grounded the boat, who tried to conceal the damage, after the boat has been delivered? It seems to me that only the Dealer could have done that.

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-13-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I'm not sure this had to be the result of a grounding.. it seems pretty clear the boat was at some point transported sans keel and that the keel was attached afterwards (by an "unknown yard").

If it had been inadequately torqued, then faired, and then sailed some distance these cracks in the fairing would be expected, as would the apparent 'gap'.

In any case it's not something one would expect to find with a NEW $300K boat, that's for sure. The dealer should make it right... properly.
Melbournian and TMain like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-13-2011

As everyone has said so far, the dealer needs to make this right, is correct. Be it a grounding, improper install of the keel or ____________.

Reality is, even a $100K 30' Jeanneau, SO30i, I would not expect this kind of gap at purchase! Or a $50K Flying tiger...

I still feel, if someone has not purchased boats, they should hire a surveyor, if not, they are somewhat at fault too. BUT, that still does not mean the dealer or commissioning yard should do improper labor installing the keel etc. Someone needs to ake the issue right. AND, this could happen with ANY brand of boat. I do not feel this is a manufacture issue, be it ANY brand of boat. Whether it occured due to a hard grounding, improper install....

with this, off to work I go, back this evening my time.

marty
Old 05-13-2011
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I would not take delivery of that boat PERIOD. Do a search on "Keel Saga" to see what a properly set-in and faired keel joint looks like (not that I'm bragging) and that was on a 30 year old boat.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.