Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Jeanneau
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
With out looking back on pg 1, IIRC the OP's boat was put in the water in NCarolina, shown initially in Fl, so it had to get from NC to FL, probably ALL motored. Not sure of the distance, but frankly, I would not be too surprised to see 20-40 hrs for that trip alone!

Hr/miles on a given rig at purchase can depend on a lot of things. Take a semi truck for example. Kenworth hauls them out of a plant near me with one tractor that has 2 to 3 other trucks front axels on the 5w heading off to where ever. Maybe Florida lets say. So a trip from Seattle to Fl is what 4000 miles....So the lead rig has 4000 miles when it get to FL, it has yet to see a mile use by the end user.

Also, Many BIGGER boats get sailed to the new owner(s) ALL around the world, or they take delivery where it was made, then have to sail them to home, which could be 10-15K mile away. Some of the "how many" hr/miles etc one has on a rig needs to be taken with some grain of salt, based on the item, how it will be used etc. Said semi I mentioned earlier, if used in a OTR situation, does 100-125K miles a year once put into service. Is getting it with 4000 miles much different than you driving off the lot with a car that has 40 with you driving all of 100K miles in its 10 yr lifetime? not really when you look at the % of 4K to 1million miles over 10 yrs. A motor in this boat should go 10K-20K hrs or more before needing a rebuild. Most of us do not keep our boats that long!

right or wrong, Another way to look at things!

Marty
Old 11-08-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
With out looking back on pg 1, IIRC the OP's boat was put in the water in NCarolina, shown initially in Fl, so it had to get from NC to FL, probably ALL motored........
Maybe an interesting point for any that haven't paid to have their boat delivered. You might think that when delivering a sailboat, they would be inclined to sail. Nope. If the delivery crew can motor (ie enough access to fuel), they will. Maybe motor-sail at best. Unless, of course, you pay them by the day with no limit.

I've always paid a fixed delivery price for the number of days it should take, with a reduced rate add-on for any weather/mechanical downtime. Motor on and you pay for the fuel too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Minne,

In your case, a boat you own, trying to get it delivered for a reasonable fee, sailing might very well be the preferred way. BUT, if the OP's boat was launched from the Jeanneau factory in SC, a day late and dollar short lets add, motoring might be the only way to get it to FL for the show, since this was a show model!

If it were a day late, it is also possible some items were not taken care of by the yard that put it in, notes were lost as to what was or was not done, Assumed after the show someone would have time to fix some of the issues..... time was not given to them...

One can come up with multiple reasons both good and bad as to why the OP had issues. Same with the hours on the boat. Local Jeanneau dealer they own a yard 70 or so miles north of seattle, they launch, prep etc there, then literally motor the "stock" to sell boats to seattle. As they are paying the delivery crew by the hour, one gets a no wind day which is somewhat reasonably common here in puget sound, and the boat can literally go backwards due to tides. So motoring to deliver the boats is more the norm.

It would and will be interesting to see what the final verdict was. I doubt we will figure it out.

Marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.