SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Jeanneau (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/jeanneau/)
-   -   Sun magic 44 baby stay removal (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/jeanneau/80030-sun-magic-44-baby-stay-removal.html)

Sridulfo 10-22-2011 05:08 PM

Sun magic 44 baby stay removal

Hi all
I have a sun magic 44 with baby stay fitted and would like to know if anyone has experience of removing it
The j. Client service said that it would void any warranty, as the boat is 20 years Lodi don't think that it would matter much, but I am interested to find out if there are any experiences out there.

Also any experience lengthening the mast ??

Whilst J. manufactured about 400 of these yachts you don't see many of them around.

Thanks in advance

Sal

blt2ski 10-22-2011 10:22 PM

Sal,

You might try asking that question at the jeanneau-owners.com forum, there are a few, not many SM owners that post upon occasion. Also FYI, "Later mdels branded as Sun Odyssey 44 but also produced as the Atlantic 44, a local verson of the Sun Magic built under license from Jeanneau in Athens Greece" per some info on the owners site.

For some of us, a Baby stay needs to be used ALL the time, some, only up wind to keep the mast from pumping, ie moving back and forth, if this happens, you need the stay, if not, it makes tacking larger jibs easier.

Marty

svHyLyte 10-23-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sridulfo (Post 789233)
Hi all
I have a sun magic 44 with baby stay fitted and would like to know if anyone has experience of removing it
The j. Client service said that it would void any warranty, as the boat is 20 years Lodi don't think that it would matter much, but I am interested to find out if there are any experiences out there.

Also any experience lengthening the mast ??

Whilst J. manufactured about 400 of these yachts you don't see many of them around.

Thanks in advance

Sal

The yacht has a double spreader rig with inboard shrouds which support the section laterally. Because the mast section is relatively beefy in the fore'n aft dimension, its radius of gyration is relatively greater so that it is better able to sustain buckling loads about the transverse axis and hence needs somewhat less support. However, heavily loaded hard on the wind, the section needs the lateral support that is provided by the baby-stay. In light air, not so much. You might be able the replace the turn-buckle connection to the chain-plate with a hyfield lever so that you can remove the stay in light air but refasten it when the going gets hard. The rig was not designed by accident. There are no "unnecessary" parts. Lengthening the mast could be done in theory although that would exacerbate the foregoing and would require a reevaluation of all of the rig components.

FWIW...

Sridulfo 10-24-2011 06:15 AM

thank you
you have confirmed my thoughts

:)

svHyLyte 10-24-2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sridulfo (Post 789593)
thank you
you have confirmed my thoughts

:)

We have a similar assembly on our First 42 and the baby stay is a pain in the neck when tacking. I found that adding a pvc tube to act as a roler on the stay made tacking much easier.

FWIW...

blazer 10-24-2011 06:24 PM

Tacking with a baby stay

I have just had a quote for a new mast for my trapper 28 . It did not have a baby stay but one manufacturer has refused to quote for a mast without a baby stay. However Z spars have quoted for a replacement without a baby stay.
If your rig was designed with a baby I am sure your insurers would not want you to remove it! It seems that because old mast sections were thicker the newer one require more support or have larger diameters. Blazer