Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Erie
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road
Looking for sailing destinations on Lake Erie

I am looking for some places to sail to next summer. I will be leaving out of Buffalo. This will be my 2nd year on a sailboat but I have many years of boating and boat ownership. As a motor boater I never went any farther than sunset bay and that was only a few times. Now with a well equipped 26 foot sloop I feel like I could go anywhere. I most likely will be looking to bring my Wife, and 2 girls 9&11 years old, with for the trips and would prefer to be no longer than 1 or 2 days at sea. I also dont think I want to go through the hassle of going through customs so Canada is out for now. My wife hasnt spent any real time at sea and gets sea sick if she dosnt take something for it. She didnt have any problems with the power boat. Something about the motion of the sailboat is bothering her. Thats the reason for the short time frame. I think if she gets some time out in the open lake, away from all the wakes and choppyness of the harbor, she will become more comfortable and enjoy sailing quite a bit more. Anyone have any good destinations for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2012

timangiel is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for sailing destinations on Lake Erie

I have been waiting to see what others would say but it doesn't look like anyone is coming forward. There really isn't too much on the US side without going far. Its too bad you want to stay out of Canada because there are some nice places on that side. Keeping on the US side there is Dunkirk, Barcelona and Erie. I'm not sure how much farther than that you would make in a day or two. I have never taken my boat to any of those places so I can't really comment on them. It seems like heading that direction is always straight into the wind. For sailing it seems it would be easier to hop from the US side to the Canadian side and vise versa. Let me know where you end up going, I'd like to find a destination myself.
Old 12-19-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I think if you do some searching you will find Erie to be a very nice place. The bay or harbor is large and you have the city side with a few clubs The Erie yacht club and other clubs. The park Presque Isle is very nice. Real beach but better nature get away from the water and into the woods! Flag ship Niagara Maritime Museum on the city side.Waldameer amusment park and water park. www.visteriepa.com and park phone # 814-833-7424 state park 814 454 1000 city info Winter time now so I do not know if the phones# will be of any use. This is my old haunts I could go on but you will find your own way. Erie is a small town next to Buffalo but lots of good stuff on a smaller scale. [I]I am stuck in kentucky and miss the lake . Use care as you know the lake can change fast. Have Fun and drop me a line and share your good times!!! Regards, Lou
Old 01-29-2013
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABH3 Boyer View Post
I am looking for some places to sail to next summer. ... My wife hasnt spent any real time at sea and gets sea sick if she dosnt take something for it. She didnt have any problems with the power boat. Something about the motion of the sailboat is bothering her.
Hi,

Does this mean you're likely to keep your sailboat at least another season? I remember your post a few months ago about whether you could afford to continue sailing.

Old 01-29-2013

Quitting sailing was never really on the table. My wife is not on board with funding the dock with our family finances. That means I will need to make some extra money to fund it or worst case scenario I will have to trailer it. I am currently working on a remote controlled wench system for raising and lowering my mast single handed. Obviously not the choice way to go but one way or another I will be sailing next summer. I also plan to get my enhanced licence so I can travel to Canada. I think if there is a destination the wife would be more likely to want to go.
Old 01-29-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABH3 Boyer View Post
.... My wife is not on board ... I am currently working on a remote controlled wench system ...
Freudian slip?

You don't need an enhanced driver's license to enter Canada by boat.

http://www.marlonmarina.com/pdfs/customs.pdf

Port Colborne is a great destination from Buffalo, kid friendly with lots to do and for a short trip Albino bay is a cool.
miatapaul likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-29-2013

timangiel is on a distinguished road

I second the Port Colborne suggestion. Go during Canal Days, there is a lot for the family to do.
Old 01-30-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I would like to hear more ports of call. Are the tall ships going to be in the lake this summer?
Old 01-30-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Absolutely. It is the big celebration of the War of 1812.

TSC 2013 GREAT LAKES « TALL SHIPS CHALLENGE® Series Official Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-30-2013

I hope for more tall ships visiting Lake Erie this year too. The Buffalo Harbor and outer harbor was filled with events last year and there are over 300 events planned for this year. I think the people of Western NY have finally figured out how to make our waterfront a real attraction. The development is happening at lightning speed compaired to the last 30 years. With all that said I am still looking for some other destinations within 1 day of Buffalo. Its fun to have a destination.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.