Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Huron
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009

CS271409 is on a distinguished road
jjns
Thanks for the info. I know of Andrews and may give them a try. They may not lke a deal that doesn't take them to or from Toronto. I'm surprised they didn't want to carry it on the cradle. How big is your boat? I had my CS27 moved from Midland Ont to Bayfield on the cradle with a hydraulic trailer. approx 6500 lbs, 27 ft long, 9'6" beam. I don't recall the hauler's name... he was an independent that I found in the classifieds in GAM magazine. Good point on the insurance. I'll check that out.
I'm heading up to Bayfield on this beautiful sunny winter's day to check on the boat. I likely won't be alone.. it has been a rough winter on the roads so far and lots will likely take advantage of the clear roads with minimal risk of white-outs to check on their precious boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2009

scottbr is on a distinguished road
I used Van Tuyl to move my 33 from Toronto to Penetang. Reasonable rate and move went well. I'm sure most would be willing to go anywhere, esp. in the off-season before it gets busy. I had mine moved early April.

Van Tuyl Marine Transport
Hydraulic Air-Ride Trailer for power up to 45 ft. and sail up to 40 ft. For competitive rates, call Joe or James at Van Tuyl Trucking Inc.

I can get their number for you if you want it.
Old 02-01-2009

Keldee is on a distinguished road
We also used Van Tuyl from Toronto to Manitoulin Island and were very happy with their work and found their rates generally lower than the competition.We have recomended them to several friends who were also very satisfied.The boat moved wwas a 31 ft Douglas
Old 02-02-2009

Bayfield in Winter

Thanks for the info on Van Tuyl. I think I picked up one of his cards at the Toronto Boat Show.

Just to show the thread hasn't been hijacked, here are some pictures I took of Lake Huron from the pier at Bayfield yesterday afternoon. Anybody else have pictures of their boat or marina in the dead of winter? (nothing from Florida please!)

oh and one picture of my companionway before I shoveled it clear.

Old 02-03-2009

jjns is on a distinguished road
CS27
Boat is 30ft, 9600lbs and 11ft beam. Cradle only has 4 pads, whereas the trailer had 10. Someday I would like to upgrade to a better cradle with 6 pads but there are other things to buy in the meantime.
The lake looks rough and not a single fish hut in sight.
Hey, I know that pier. Stood on both sides of it while we were up that way.
Looks just as rough in winter as it did in summer.
Only been up to the boat once this winter but the shrink wrap was doing a nice job of shedding the snow so I haven't been back.
Didn't think to take the camera, maybe next time.
Old 02-03-2009

jjns is on a distinguished road
CS27
Where do you plan to relocate to on the Bay?
Old 02-03-2009

Bayfield pier

We've stood on that pier many times watching huge waves break over the top. We spent many summers at a cottage just south of the OPP station between Goderich and Bayfield. Used to go to the Bayfield harbour for fresh fish and to drool at the boats...

Took these just before Christmas, when we were up to check on the tarps.

Old 02-03-2009

jjns and scottbr
No fishing huts on the lake but there was one on the river on Sunday afternoon. It was so nice, a few of the folks were outside the hut around a hole in the ice with fishing poles in one hand and a drink that strangely didn't freeze in the other. We are moving to Lions Head in the spring. There is no power at the slip but I only plug in to run the battery charger and a 120V fan that I run to keep the boat ventilated. I can easily get by with neither.

I have faithfully covered my boat every year but this year I was overseas on business unexpectedly during boat covering season. When I got back, there was half a metre of snow on the ground (and on the boats) and it never left. My CS27 looks fine without a cover. I suspect it has been through many winters without a cover. Many of the covers I saw on Sunday were destroyed (the "blue tarp" jobbies were anyway). Witness the evidence!

The professional (Genco, Top Shop, etc) covers looked great.

What marina is that scottbr? The docks look great. Is that Doral in Midland?
Old 02-03-2009

We're at BayMoorings, Penetang. Great staff there and very handy to the islands for cruising. The docks are nice, some rotted boards but they're replacing them, the electrical is very sketchy at best and would not pass an inspection.

We tarped this year after paying for shrinkwrap last year. $$$$$$
So far has worked ok, next year I'll work a bit more on technique, ran out of time this year to tidy it up more.

Old 02-03-2009

Nice looking cover. I like the fact that the topsides are protected. It certainly cuts down on the spring cleaning. I built a sturdy wooden "shack" over my cockpit for the last few years and covered it and the rest of the deck including some of the topsides with a couple of heavy duty truck tarps from TSC. It works mast up or down... I alternate each year. I built winter campanionway boards out of plywood with a simple grate from Cdn Tire in it to improve ventilation in the winter. (and to allow me to take the teak home for sanding and 6 coats of varnish over the winter.) Next year I think I'll try to arrange the tarps to protect the topsides better. Live and learn.
I think your boat is newer than mine by a long shot and wrapping it as you have should keep it looking good for a long time.

We stopped at Bay Moorings briefly on our Southern GB cruise in 2007. My wife is from Penetang and we know the area fairly well. I was at a wedding at Bay Moorings several years ago. We enjoyed anchoring off Magazine Island during our stay in Penetang and listening to the daily calls on VHF for a tow off the sand shoal on the south side of Beausoliel Island. Many people miss that buoy! Strangely all only power boat needed to call while we were there. Hmmmm.