Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Huron
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Hey, just found a great site for you to check out

Great Lakes Sea Kayaking Associtaion

Looks like they also have a forum.

Thanks to Sweetwater Cruising for the original info.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2009

freediverGA is on a distinguished road
I appreciate it that you went out of your way to help me out Scott!
Old 03-31-2009

CS271409 is on a distinguished road
FreediverGA
Don't worry too much about the currents. There will be a current but unless you try something silly when you know you shouldn't you will be fine. With a June / July trip, there will be tons of recreational boaters around to assist you with any VHF reception issues you have with the handheld VHF near Fitzwilliam Island. You will be a novelty on the lake and I'm sure lots of boaters will be keen to assist you with weather and all kinds of advice. (Some of it you should even listen to!)

I think I understand that you were thinking of overnighting on Halfmoon Island. Halfmoon Island is not a whole lot more than a small reef that is peaking above the waterline. I would suggest that it would be an inhospitable place to sleep for the night. It is described in Saling Directions as follows: "Halfmoon Island 6.5 miles south of Lonely Island is a bank of small stones with two small clusters of trees."

I have Chart 2235 spread out in front of me now and it looks to me like the worst stretch will be Bears Rump to Lonely Island... about 15 miles of open water with some emergency respite at Halfmoon. Currents shouldn't be strong in this area since you are in Georgian Bay proper with water 170 ft deep between Bears Rump and Halfmoon and 320 ft deep between Halfmoon and Lonely Island. Apparently, there is a ruined wharf at the NE corner of Lonely Island which should afford some access to ths otherwise intimidating landing. I have not sailed close to Lonely Island (hence the name I guess). Saling Directions describes it as follows:
Lonely Island 4 miles east of Club Island is wooded and 200 ft (61m) high. South Bluff near the south point of the island is a prominent steep cliff. A small concrete wharf on the NE point of Lonely Island is in ruins. Then there are other comments on the location of the Lonely Island Light and the West Light.

Fitzwilliam Island is about 17nm from the Tobermory transmission tower and I had difficulty calling one of my friends who worked at the Tobermory Canadian Coast Guard station but I recall I could get the WX messages. As I said earlier, there will likely be lots of folks around the area who would be glad to assist a crazy person in a kayak with WX info and other support you may need.

In June / July, you shold be able to pick a good weather window. 10 ft waves would be rare and should be forecast well in advance if they are to occur.

Save lots of time for Cove Island. It's beautiful! I would recommend a circumnavigation just for fun (and because I'm not paddling). I theory, you may not be allowed to camp on Cove Island since it is inside Fathom Five National Park which is the only underwater national park in Canada. I think the risk is mnimal... (and Bruce Penninsula jails are apparently reasonably comfortable )

Keep the thoughts and info flowing!

Last edited by CS271409; 03-31-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: fixed minor tyo
Old 03-31-2009

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverGA View Post
I appreciate it that you went out of your way to help me out Scott!
Hopefully that will help you out a little more. I check in on Sweetwater Cruising all the time, saw the post he had on his site and immediately thought of you.

I've learned a lot from Sailnet and am happy to pay some of it back. I think we all enjoy this area so much we are happy to share the experience.

Keep the questions coming and let us know how the trip goes.... take lots of pictures, you can post them when you return.
Old 04-01-2009

halfmoon

Thank you for the great info and I'm really surprised that I've gotten so much help. I was sure that because i was a sea kayaker not a sailor with nice boat I wouldn't get anything but a laugh and a get lost punk attitude. I was surely mistaken and I'm so appreicative for the time and detailed help you have all given. It would have taken me a long time to just get a small fraction of the intell you all have provided me. I was actually shooting to do this trip June/July 2010 because of the extra training, gear to be needed and the travel cost for me and my wife that would include bordering for her during my paddling. I found out this past Friday the company I've worked for no longer needed me and let me go. Sooo I don't know when I will do the trip now but I hope this doesn't stop the help. I would like to keep chatting and planning the trip to keep my hopes up and my moral right now. I've spent the past three days looking for a job and it doesn't looked job wise and me being able to stay in my home. Unless I win the Lottery!

Well anyway looking at Google maps halfmoon looks like it has alittle more tree coverage and dryer than discribed and I'm getting like 8 miles from halfmoon to lonely using the measuring option on googlearth. How far off over the horizan do you think you would see the trees of halfmoon or lonely island if your in a kayak? Like maybe 6 miles out?

I was trying to post a pic I cropped of Halfmoon island showing the tree coverage but it won't load up for some reason

Last edited by freediverGA; 04-01-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2009

FreediverGA
Sorry to hear about your job... that seems to be happening a lot lately. Hang in there. Better things to come.
How far are you travelling to get to Tobermory? (i.e. approx where are you from?)

I checked out Google maps and you're right, Halfmoon does look a little more hospitable than I described from Sailing Directions although still not much of a place. It shows on the charts as only 12 ft elevation.

Regarding distance to the horizon... there are tables that can assist you with this. The tables are sometimes reproduced on charts or in chartbooks like Richardsons (large enough to sink your kayak by the way). Here is one link with the tables. Distance to The Horizon Unfortunately, these tables are in metric and although I am a proud citizen of a metric country, meters and kilometers have no place in nautical measurements in my humble opinion. Give me my boat speed in furlongs per fortnight before you give it to me in kph. ... OK, end of rant, back on track...

For example, lets say you are sitting in your kayak and your eyes are 1m above the water. From the table, distance to the horizon is 3.7km. You are looking for Halfmoon with an elevation of 12 ft which is approx 4m... table shows 7.4 km. So all things being perfect, you would be able to detect Halfmoon island at 3.7 + 7.4 = 11.1km (or 6 nautical miles). Better yet, Lonely island is approx 200 ft (61m) high. Lets say 60m .. From the table, distance to the horizon is 29km. So if you know where you are looking and what you are looking for you should be able to detect Lonely Island at 3.7 + 29 = 32.7 km (17.6 nm) Remember, these distances are to the very top of the tallest feature that you are looking for on the island and you may not recognize it as such until you are closer.

Quote:
"I was sure that because i was a sea kayaker not a sailor with nice boat I wouldn't get anything but a laugh and a get lost punk attitude."
I had to laugh at this. All boats are nice (except maybe cigarette boats and PWCs). A nice boat is one you are on at the moment. If you are looking for a "get lost punk" attitude, try the Off Topic forums!

Keep the questions and comments coming.

Last edited by CS271409; 04-01-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-01-2009

LOL ok thanks for the Horizon info that means I should be able to see Lonely island pretty easy from Halfmoon island. I'm sure my trip will workout just have to keep my head down and keep pushing on. I'm from the Atlanta, georgia area.
Old 04-01-2009

ok here is VHF operational question. In the US channel 16 is Coast guard channel that's used for emergencies and Hailing then you have to change over to other channels like 9, 1, 68, 69, 71, 72, and 78. What are the channels used in Canada?
Old 04-02-2009

Freediver
Ch 16 is used for hailing and emergencies then shift to a "working channel" for the transmission. In Canada (or at least on the great lakes in Canada) ch 68 is generally used for vessels communicating with marinas and harbours and is not used for routine ship to ship (or kayak to kayak) communication.
Old 04-02-2009

By the way, you can't post pictures or use PM on sailnet until you have at least 10 posts. You are almost there. If you want quick posts, go to the song chain in Off Topic and you'll quickly get to 10.

You may also want to have a quick look in the sailnet How-to Forum - Tips for Newcomers. http://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailne...t-sailnet.html