Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Huron
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009

freediverGA is on a distinguished road
Well I'm really thinking about making it a Charity event to raise money for Epidermolysis Bullosa Medical research foundation. I will increase the distance though to raise more money. I have no idea how to get started though.

EBMRF - Epidermolysis Bullosa Medical Research Foundation
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2009

Well I got the charity fundraiser started. The end of October is the Recognition week for EB in the US and I thought I could start the Expedition at the Beginning of the Month and try to finish in time. Can U guys give me the heads up on the weather and water conditons I should expect during October. I have a pretty good idea what to expect but I want to get more intel from U guys that see it year round. I'm going to be doing a 500mile round trip that will probly take me about 25 days depending on weather.

I'm working on getting some celebrity support because people like Courney Cox, Brad Pitt and Adam Sandler support the EBMRF. I'm going to start a facebook page to get the word out and hopefully get donations. I'm starting to get the direction I need to go in just need to get the momentum going. This cause is something important to me because I and majority of my family suffer from a mild case. This is still very painfull and life changing form of this disease that affects our hands and feet instead of our whole body. I'm going to be reminded of this everyday of the trip because my hands will always be on the paddle and it takes 1000 paddle strokes to paddle a mile.

Thank You for your help!!!

Les Laxson

Last edited by freediverGA; 12-02-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-05-2009

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverGA View Post
Well I got the charity fundraiser started. The end of October is the Recognition week for EB in the US and I thought I could start the Expedition at the Beginning of the Month and try to finish in time. Can U guys give me the heads up on the weather and water conditons I should expect during October. I have a pretty good idea what to expect but I want to get more intel from U guys that see it year round. I'm going to be doing a 500mile round trip that will probly take me about 25 days depending on weather.

I'm working on getting some celebrity support because people like Courney Cox, Brad Pitt and Adam Sandler support the EBMRF. I'm going to start a facebook page to get the word out and hopefully get donations. I'm starting to get the direction I need to go in just need to get the momentum going. This cause is something important to me because I and majority of my family suffer from a mild case. This is still very painfull and life changing form of this disease that affects our hands and feet instead of our whole body. I'm going to be reminded of this everyday of the trip because my hands will always be on the paddle and it takes 1000 paddle strokes to paddle a mile.

Thank You for your help!!!

Les Laxson
Here is some info on wind direction and speed as well as some average temp. and precipitation stats: Windfinder

Averages for Fall Months: October, November (Barrie Ontario – South East of where you want to go, so I would imagine the weather conditions to be more extreme on the Bay):
Average Temperature: 13.2 C, 6.1 C (55.76 F, 42.98 F)
Average Rainfall: 74.3 mm, 62.1 mm (2.925”, 2.44”)
Average Snowfall: 2.5 cm, 20.6 cm (0.98”, 8.11”)

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 12-05-2009

CS271409 is on a distinguished road
Freediver,
The Flying Welshman has given you links to some good data for you to analyse. I think the data will tell you that starting a trip like this in early October would not be wise. The season here is fantastic but short. I think you said you were thinking of starting from Lion's Head. I'm at Lion's Head Marina and we haul out on Thanksgiving (Thanksgiving is in mid October in Canada). The weather can be very nice in September with some of the best sailing of the year but it can also turn quickly once you're past mid month. There won't be nearly as many recreational sailors out on the water in October as in the summer to help you with VHF transmission relays if necessary or help you out of a jam if the weather turns bad quickly.
It's a noble cause but I think you would be better doing this in the summer.

My humble opinion.
Old 12-05-2009

I was studying the data the Welshman posted and the average reading are even higher than I was expecting. I think I would be fine first part of the trip at the beginning of the month. ON the return trip back I would be asking to much from body when I'm already running on reserves. It would open me up to making mistakes. Appreciate the feed backs guys. IF you guys don't mind I'm going to keep open communicaton so I can get any other help in the future.

thanks again!
Les Laxson