Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Huron
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Finallygot out for a decent weekend

Weather's been crappy so far, either blowing like snot or raining or both. Got out last weekend for a couple of 3-4 hour sails, at 5-6.5 knots and saw 7.5 a few times.

The reward, a perfect dinner view ( Beckwith Island )

and a nice sunset

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
It was a long time coming down here too.
Old 06-18-2009

CS271409 is on a distinguished road
It was a great weekend to be out. I moved my boat from Bayfield to my new permanent slip in Lions Head over the extended weekend with a new engine in my Good Old Boat (1978 CS27). We had a lot of fun on the way and actually sailed a bit south of Cape Hurd approaching Tobermory and Cove Island. Anchored overnight in Cove Island - of course with nobody else around. It was cold at night - 6 - 8 C and quite chilly on Lake Huron with a long NW fetch over very cold water. Half way to Lions Head, we anchored for lunch at Wingfield. We motored to Lions Head on Glassy smooth water. I emailed a power boater friend of mine en route saying this was power boat heaven with smooth water, no swell and great visibility. It looks like a lousy weekend coming up but I'll be up to Lions Head next weekend to get ready for the first of two summer trips to the miserable, unfriendly, frozen North Channel (see posts under North Channel). Departing July 10 or 11th for the first of two weeks. Hopefully, better weather to come this summer.
Old 06-21-2009

Now that you're on the good side of the Peninsula, you'll have to put on your list of future trips to get over to the East side of Georgian Bay to the 30,000 islands. Lots of great areas to explore and now within easy reach for a weeks trip. There's lots of areas that are either Crown Land or Provincial Park which means very few cottages and great scenery. If you don't have the Ports book, it's a great investment and will give you tons of ideas.

Where / when are you headed ofr the second week. We're going to Killarney / Baie Fine again this year second week of August.
Old 06-21-2009

Scott,
We are planning on heading up to the North Channel July 11 for 2 weeks. It's now one good sailing day to Killarney from Lions Head instead of usually four from Bayfield. It's so close, we will likely take another trip up the first or second week of August.
I want to get over to the 30,000 islands (many of which are 1" above or below the water I understand!) I have several power boating friends that enjoy the east side of Georgian Bay. I have the charts, Ports, a GLCC membership with great anchorage info and we will plan a trip there soon. (Maybe the east side instead of the North Channel in August??)
We sailed down to Penetang and Midland in 2007 and then around the south shore up to Lion's Head.
I'll listen for you on the radio if we get over to the east side. We are a white CS27 with a blue stripe. Listen for our distinctive name on VHF - "Good Idea".
Old 06-22-2009

It's not the islands that are 1" above water that you can see, it's the rocks 1" below the water that you can't see but you sure will feel them.....

This is heading north on the east side of Giants Tomb..... wide open water.... but only two narrow passages that you can safely navigate.......

Old 06-22-2009

It's the 1" underwater that hurts (or anything less than 6 ft actually). We had a good trip from Bayfield to Lions Head last week Here is a pic departing Cove Island last Tuesday morning. There is a significant shoal off to port but it is well charted and the water is calm and clear enough that it can easily be seen.

Hopefully lots more of this to come this summer.