Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Huron
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009

CS271409 is on a distinguished road
Scott and Welsh,

Bustards:
Thanks for the info on the the Bustards. It looks great; especially out of season.

Tobermory:
The trip to Tobermory is worth it. Tobermory Harbour (Little Tub) is quite small and congested but it is the first stop for those of us who travel up from southern Lake Huron or across the lake from the United States. Flowerpot island is a beautiful sailpast as welsh showed on hs video. A great spot to anchor is Cove Island a couple of miles north of Tobermory. Entrance is striaght forward with Chart 2274 and a GPS. I wrote up an approach descrption in one of the threads for xort earlier this year.

Video:
Great work on the video, esecially after hearing all you went through to get it done. The moving map sounded difficult to do but was a great add to the video. I'll likely link to it with full credit when I get my modest freebe google website up and running. (It looks terrible now).

Hijacking the Thread?
Sorry if I did. The video is great. I'm leaving for North Georgian Bay / North Channel on Saturday.

Last edited by CS271409; 07-07-2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: corrected typos
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2009

scottbr is on a distinguished road
I don't think we could possibly "hijack" when talking about Georgian Bay / North Channel .... I was just kidding around... I think we're all so passionate about this area we get excited when anyone starts talking about it...

It's great to see discussion, pictures and videos !!!

Have and good trip and take lots of pics.... we want to hear a full report when you get back
Old 07-09-2009
1973 Northern 25

zoom555 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
I just got back from a 12-day cruise from Midland; up the East-side of Georgian Bay; across the top (from the Bustard Islands to Killarney); down the west-side (from Killarney to Tobermory); and across from Cabot Head to Hope Island and back to Midland.
Dave:

Great video, and very inspiring to see how far afield you went on a relatively small cruiser!

I was your neighbour at Doral during your first season sailing (and ours). We had the blue-hulled Northern 25 "Miss Trial".

We moved from Doral to the Midland Bay Sailing Club this spring. We've stuck mainly to day sailing so far, plus a few overnights at Beausoleil, Giant's Tomb, etc.

Cheers,
Damian
Old 07-10-2009

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom555 View Post
Dave:

Great video, and very inspiring to see how far afield you went on a relatively small cruiser!

I was your neighbour at Doral during your first season sailing (and ours). We had the blue-hulled Northern 25 "Miss Trial".

We moved from Doral to the Midland Bay Sailing Club this spring. We've stuck mainly to day sailing so far, plus a few overnights at Beausoleil, Giant's Tomb, etc.

Cheers,
Damian
Hey Damian, good to see another form the area. Doug Hunter is in the MBSC as well, comes on here from time to time, has a great web site on Georgian Bay .... Sweetwater Crusing

Hope to see you on the water some time....
Old 07-13-2009

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom555 View Post
Dave:

Cheers,
Damian
Hey Damian, nice to hear from you. I wondered if you were still about as I didn't see your boat on 'A' dock.

Our trip was amazing. We got really lucky with the weather. I would hesitate to cross the big Bay in my boat if the weather was snotty.

Sharon & I have done quite a few over-nighters and last year a friend and I went up to Dillon Cove (just north of Franklin Island), but this was by far the biggest trip yet. The trouble now is that the hook is set. I'm chomping at the bit to get out again. If I can find a willing (& compatible) crew I'd like to do the bottom third of the bay in the next couple of weeks. That way I will have done a complete circumnavigation this summer.

If that doesn't work out I want to work on my single-handing so I'm not reliant on finding crew.

Anyhow, keep an eye out for us on the water - may call sign is: 'Northern Lights'. I'll keep an ear open for you.

Take care

Dave

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau