Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Huron
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Do yourself a favour and skip the south side. Not much to see and the waves usually pile up and get over 10 feet.

The North Channel is beautiful, but many of the places mentioned are very busy. The Benjamins, Baie Fine, Covered Portage and Croker are worth visiting, but be prepared to be anchored with many other boats...especially in the Benjamins, 60 boats in average. The Whalesback channel is really nice, look for Beardrop and Oak Point, they are not as busy. Heading back east, there are some very nice anchorages near the Wabano Channel. Heywood is located east after the swingbridge. It's a good overnight anchorage, but again can be busy.

If you can plan your sail mid-August into September, you'll have most of these anchorages to yourself.

If you want some quiet anchorages, PM me and I can tell you more.

Either way, you're gonna want to go back.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2010

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
I'm glad I checked this thread.

I am in the process of planning my original route i.e. South of Manitoulin.

I have The Sailing Directions for Georgian Bay, Lake Huron and the North Channel (CEN 305, 306 & 307) and have ordered the paper charts that I need.

Now, having read your concerns regarding the conditions on the South side of Manitoulin, I am definitely re-thinking my plan.

As much as I think I'm a pretty good sailor, I have only been at it for 3 seasons with last summer being the first time that I solo'd. I think I would rather experience beating into 4 meter waves with 30 knot winds with an experienced sailor before I try it on my own. I have managed 3 meter waves and 25 knot winds on my own - but only for short stretches. I doubt that I am quite ready for those conditions just yet.

I also hate to admit it, but I don't think Northern Lights (much as I love her) is the right boat for the challenge.

I think I will continue to plan my original route - just for the exercise, but also plan a more realistic route through the North Channel.

Thanks

Dave

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 02-03-2010
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
I think you'll enjoy that trek much more.
Old 03-24-2010

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
I'm glad I checked this thread.

Now, having read your concerns regarding the conditions on the South side of Manitoulin, I am definitely re-thinking my plan.

Thanks

Dave

You didn't believe me when I said the same thing ????

So, whats the plans. When are you leaving destination etc. now you've had all winter to plan. We're trying to get to Killarney area and Baie Fine first two weeks of August, but may/will change as time approaches.
Old 03-24-2010

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Gary

Can you elaborate on Rattlesnake? Is it an easy approach with plenty of depth?
What is better about it over Club? Club seems pretty darn good for a stop.
Sorry a little slow on this one. Club is pretty boring, not much there but is a better location, more on the beaten path heading North in the Bay. Narrow entrance but all sandy.

I like Rattlesnake, there really are lots of them!
In my first few trips there there was a nice abandoned fishing village complete with dock etc. It has deteriorated a lot since then.
There is a schooner that was left abandoned there and it sunk and the ice removed everything above four feet under. You can row over it.

Good hike to the top of the hill but watch out for the snakes in the sunny spots, extremely well sheltered anchorage. We usually build a fire on the point at the entrance.

Have Fun
Gary
Old 03-24-2010

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
SNAKES!!!

Club looks real good to me
Old 03-26-2010

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbr View Post
You didn't believe me when I said the same thing ????

So, whats the plans. When are you leaving destination etc. now you've had all winter to plan. We're trying to get to Killarney area and Baie Fine first two weeks of August, but may/will change as time approaches.
What can I say: I'm a slow learner.

I'm really not sure what's going on this summer. The only thing that's confirmed right now is that we are booked to take the Intermediate sailing course through 30,000 Island Sailing Adventures (out of Killbear) the last week of July. My wife and I are doing this to a) get some real training and find out what I've been doing wrong, and b) get a certification that would enable us to bareboat in the Med - a trip we hope to make in a year or two.
The plan was to do the North Channel for the couple of weeks prior to the course then end up in Killbear.
Things have changed a bit and now I'm thinking I might go back to plan 'A' which was to do the North Channel solo, with another buddy sailing his boat. He's been in a bad accident and may not be able to sail this summer - so I'm back on my own. I think I will probably still go.
Trouble is I've got a couple of other things that are potentials: I'm trying to get to Bonaire in June (for some diving). Another thing that might be happening is that a friend of a friend is considering a cruise from Midland to Chicago. I've been asked to crew - if the trip goes. It will be on a big power boat (I think it's in the 60' range), but I would still like to do that.
So, in answer to your question: I don't know what I'm doing.
I have to be back to work by mid-August, so I doubt I will be doing KIllarney/North Channel after my course - but who knows: I go where the wind blows me.
Hope to see you on the water.
Dave

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 03-26-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
We're heading out for the North Channel during the first week of June and hope to stay at least until the last week of July. We've planned a full itinerary of stops/anchorages in the channel, but we're quite flexible pending weather, sea conditions, our state of mind, etc.

Anyone else going to be doing the NC in June and July?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-26-2010

CS271409 is on a distinguished road
I'll be there sometime in July... possibly again in August. There'll be a few others!

Home Port - Lion's Head, Ontario

s/v Good Idea
Old 03-26-2010

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
What can I say: I'm a slow learner.

Hope to see you on the water.
Dave
I was going on assumptions based on prevalent winds, but of course seamonkey has first hand experience...

Might get up next weekend and start pulling the tarps and get out the wax. Hope to see you out there.

Scott