Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Huron
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
OK - I just looked at google maps. How does one get a boat of that size on that lake?

Which Lake? The Pool or Cave Lake or? The Pool is accessable off the end of Baie Fine, Cave Lake is only access is by hiking or canoeing / portaging. Both are part of Killarney Provincial Park, which is a wilderness park.

keldee, I spent many 1 and 2 week canoe trips through Killarney and have hiked to Silver Peak ( the highest point in Killarney) a couple of times. I've even hiked a canoe over the portage that leads up to Topaz Lake and the trail gets even worse farther up the ridge....

This year we took the dinghy down into the Pool and hiked up to Topaz.... musta been about 20-30 people up there. Several boats from a resort had brought people in for the day....

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Our boat was hauled last Friday and it's getting cold here, so I can't resist contributing to this thread, if for no other reason than to take my mind back to the North Channel...

Alone on Matheson Island

Our view looking NE from the anchorage on Louisa Island

Unforgettable times on South Benjamin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-22-2010

Keldee is on a distinguished road
Scottbr, perhaps zboss meant Perch Bay but the anchorage is at the entrance to Perch behind some islands.I cannot imagine humping a canoe(only as a nightmare!!) over that ridge.We have several times hiked over it to the Three Sisters(think tha's what they are called) and that was bad enough. One year when we were at the Pool for over a week in September ( couldn't move into an appt. until October) I came face to face with a bear on that trail ,was so close I could see the shine on its coat.Luckily it was only interested in the berries it dropped on all fours and ambled off!!
Old 10-22-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Our club hauled out last weekend. We use two cranes and also have a railway. Time to head south for the winter season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Vasco; 10-22-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Our club hauled out last weekend. We use two cranes and also have a railway. Time to head south for the winter season.

Wow, you guys have tower cranes to haul out.... must be a well off club

I was in TO couple weeks ago and was amazed at the number of tower cranes. Looked like mostly condo's.
Old 10-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldee View Post
Scottbr, perhaps zboss meant Perch Bay but the anchorage is at the entrance to Perch behind some islands.I cannot imagine humping a canoe(only as a nightmare!!) over that ridge.We have several times hiked over it to the Three Sisters(think tha's what they are called) and that was bad enough. One year when we were at the Pool for over a week in September ( couldn't move into an appt. until October) I came face to face with a bear on that trail ,was so close I could see the shine on its coat.Luckily it was only interested in the berries it dropped on all fours and ambled off!!

Canoeing was 25-30 years ago, much younger and stronger, and it was a Coleman canoe at 80 lbs. too.

We were in Baie Fine mid Aug. and heard a report on the VHF of a bear swimming across the Pool.
Old 10-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Our boat was hauled last Friday and it's getting cold here, so I can't resist contributing to this thread, if for no other reason than to take my mind back to the North Channel...

That shot of Louisa looks a lot like Baie Fine. Along the same range that come from Silver Peak.

Checked out your blog. Looks like you guys had a good summer. Great shot of the 2 girls having a blast.
Old 12-20-2010

chamonix is on a distinguished road
Hi Scott, its chamonix at 323. Damn, I've seen a lot of your threads but I've just put name, boat and faces together to figure out who you are. I'm not the swiftest in the uptake department, as an example I've just discovered this Lake Huron thread. Like to thank you and your wife for the warm welcome you gave us on our arrival at Bay Moorings. I was sorry we didn't get to see more of you this summer, but your not at the dock much, and we're still learning this sailing thing. Still Moorings is a nice place to hang around until our skills match our plans. Looking forward to seeing you next spring.
Old 01-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamonix View Post
Hi Scott, its chamonix at 323. Damn, I've seen a lot of your threads but I've just put name, boat and faces together to figure out who you are. I'm not the swiftest in the uptake department, as an example I've just discovered this Lake Huron thread. Like to thank you and your wife for the warm welcome you gave us on our arrival at Bay Moorings. I was sorry we didn't get to see more of you this summer, but your not at the dock much, and we're still learning this sailing thing. Still Moorings is a nice place to hang around until our skills match our plans. Looking forward to seeing you next spring.
Yep, I did respond to your Tall Ships thread...

Our pleasure on the welcome. We seldom stay at the dock, typically Fri. nights if we arrive late, then gone early Sat., back Sun. and head home... sucks being 2 hours away. We were up to check out the tarps on the boat on Sun. Jan. 2.

Will see you in the spring, we're usually up mid April and in the water by the end of April.

Scott