Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Huron
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Are you sure you're not docked on Lake of Bays?
chamonix likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Bay Moorings, Bay Port Yachting Centre (in Midland) and Bay Port Marina (in Orillia), and Beacon Bay Marinas are owned by a company called Parkbridge Lifestyles Communities Inc. They also own a marina in Port Perry (Goreskiís Landing).
The same company just acquired the Wye Heritage Marina (formerly Doral Marine Resort) in Midland. This is my marina. I hope, now that this company has a monopoly in the area, that my fees don't skyrocket.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 02-02-2012

chamonix is on a distinguished road
Amen to that.
Old 02-02-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
It's only a matter of time before they corner the market on bay leaves, bay windows, baying at the moon, Michael Bay films, and Old Bay Seasoning.

And the dockage will only be available to (shudder).... Bayliners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2012

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamonix View Post
Reread your post, your right I screwed up, I'm at bay Moorings not Bay Port. The other Marina is a Bay something. I'm easily confused and all the Bays are messing with my head.
At least last I looked you were across from us at BayMoorings.....
Old 02-11-2012

Stephane99, did you get to the Toronto Boat Show, all the marinas were there.

Do you have the Ports book yet? Ports Cruising Guides If not get it now. West Marine, Mason's etc. will have them. Do you have one yet????? It lists all the marinas, facilities, etc. for all of Georgian Bay. It also gives you all the anchorages for all of Georgian Bay. Invaluable that you don't have to guess where and how to anchor and which areas you can get to shore with the dog while you're out..... very important !!!!

Our favorite anchorage is Beckwith, Hope and Christian Islands. It's a 4-6 hour sail / motor great anchorage, you can take the dog to shore on the beaches, and clear blue water with sandy bottom. Just watch the forecasted wind direction for overnight. I've been caught a couple of times with a bouncy sleep after a bad call on wind.

Otherwise, Beausoliel Island is a National Park, so can go to shore, but are supposed to pay a landing fee, which they are cracking down on a bit more. But lots of protected anchoring and beautiful scenery, although can be busy.

Beyond that.... get the Ports book, there's lots and lots of options. I could go on for hours on all the places.

Also you can check out all the marinas online. Google their names. This is a good overview of the marinas int he area..... Marinas.com

Watch for the rates. Some marinas I found were pricing haul-out and launch separate from the docking fees.

Penetanguishene

Hindson's & Beacon Bay, may be a little shallow for your deep draft. Heard of a couple of boats with issues last year.

We're at BayMoorings, deep water, we're in 10 - 12 ft., reasonably priced and I find it's closer to getting "out there" than the other marinas in Midland.

Dutchman's Cove. Deep water, next to BayMoorings. Doesn't have the marina facilities, i.e. pool etc. but is less expensive.

Midland
Bay Port & Wye Heritage, both deep water, mix of Power and sail, more expensive, lots of marina facilities, further to getting " out there"
Midland Bay Sailing Club, less expensive but you have to do volunteer hours otherwise pay a higher fee. Use a crane for haul-out so mast has to come down every year. Only have 1-2 days for haul-out or launching, other marinas with travel-lift you pick your day and keep your mast up.

Victoria Harbour, don't know much, but worth checking out. I believe similar pricing to Penetang, but again further.

Last edited by scottbr; 02-11-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-12-2012

I can go on and on...... if you're interested.
Old 02-23-2012

Did you decide anything yet? Any more questions??

Inquiring minds want to know
Old 02-24-2012

chamonix is on a distinguished road
Hey Scott how are you doing, surviving winter? Was up at penatang at the end of Jan. just checking on my boat at one of the bays. Couldn't beleive the lack of snow, sun was shinning, it was almost warm, a good day to poke around Midland/Penatang.
Old 02-24-2012

Ah, this time of year is always tough and seems to drag on......

Speant a couple of days at the Hunter booth at the Toronto Boat Show, which helped to break up the long wait. Also met some really nice people from the sailing forums ( won't mention the sketchy one ) for a few drinks one night of the show, which was a lot of fun..

Was up early Jan. to check on the boat, which was fine.

Noticed the breakwall was completely removed and getting ready to install new. Hope it makes a difference from the powerboat wakes.....

Tags
georgian bay , marina , port