Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Huron
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Review of my season on Georgian Bay

Some great stuff there!
Beautiful sailing area too.
Keep posting.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2012

chamonix is on a distinguished road

So it's a night crossing. There's nothing between Hope and Wingfield to be concerned about, however I'd rather not reach the Hope/Christian Islands in the dark. A quick map recce and time estimate suggest we leave in the early evening rather than the afternoon.
We leave at 7:00 PM, wind is from the Northwest, can't remember the strength, about 10 to 15 knots I think. Despite the lighter wind the waves still seem large. Noticed that on the bay proper it doesn't take much wind to create large waves.
We motor for an hour to make sure the batteries are charged up then put up the sails. Since this was our first night crossing I had already decided to use the jib alone. That way we would not have to leave the cockpit. As we were now on a run this made even more sense to eliminate any accidental jibes.
Old 10-13-2012

I had set up the autopilot but was concerned about the amount of power it would draw, so I had it energized, but we would only turn it on if we needed a break. This was also wise in that the waves were creating a rather uncomfortable motion. The bow would go through a 30 degree arc either side of our course every time a wave passed, which was often. The autopilot ( and ourselves ) had to work hard to keep up. So the night passed. Had to run the engine to charge the batteries at about midnight. On a side note my wife was surprised that the moon set at about 1/2:00 AM. She thought the moon was up all night long. I gave her a withering look.
At first light we were about an hour short of Hope Island, which was fine by me. The batteries need charging again so we fired up the engine. As it happened the wind had been creeping around from the Northwest back to the East all night long. We started off on a run and were now close hauled (the winds a bloody sneaky thing). As the sun came up the wind died completely, so the engine came on, sails went down and we motored the rest of the way into the Hope Channel (channel between Hope and Christian/Beckwith Island).
Old 10-13-2012

We got into the channel and saw the anchorage at Hope, as stated earlier there must have been 50 to 60 boats anchored. We looked at each other and between the two of us decided to just keep on going to Penetang, and so we did, with the lake looking like a mirror it was so calm. Reached Penetang about 11:00 AM. The End. Applause please.
A few day's later while reviewing the trip in my mind I reached some conclusions as follows. I was pleased and happy with the trip. I felt that we had reached some important personal benchmarks (sailing wise). The trip had went well with few problems. But the truth was I didn't really enjoy it. I felt we never took the time to relax and were always on the move, a classic tale of to much in to short a time. Judi felt the same way (Judi being the wife). This had a big impact on our next trip. To be continued whenever I feel like it.
Old 10-13-2012

One last note. The whole time we were on Georgian Bay proper and on the move I think we saw maybe 10 boats total. That's boats actually moving, not in a marina or at anchor. All but two of those boats were sailboats.
Old 10-13-2012

Thanks Caleb for the encouragement, typing this much is not my idea of fun.
Old 10-13-2012

OH,OH,OH. Forgot, despite all the motoring I don't think we used more than 10 to 12 gallons of fuel. Put that in your exhaust pipe powerboaters.
Old 10-13-2012

OH,OH,OH,OH. Also forgot another first. First time I've felt the need to plot a course and distance on a chart, rather than just using pilotage and the chart plotter. At the beginning of the night leg, the chartplotter turned itself off a couple of times for no reason I could tell. So we kept a running plot on the chart just in case the thing crapped out completely. Sad to say the thing worked fine for the rest of the night. Happy to say the estimated distances were pretty accurate.

Last edited by chamonix; 10-13-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-13-2012
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road

I did not find that boring at all. Thank you for posting and reminding me how beautiful Georgian Bay is. I look forward to sailing it again soon. My wife and I sailed our first sailboat a Grampian 26 from Collingwood to Little Current about 8 years ago. We had hit weather within hours of leaving Collingwood on our way to Beckwith. Waves were 8-10 footers, the wind was on our nose and I thought I would never sail again. We had anchored at Hope I believe and the next morning it was sunny and 10 knot winds....perfection!!!! Went through the small craft route near Point of Barrell, then off to Killarney and then Little Current. It was one of the best weeks of my life.
Old 10-15-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you had a great season. Sorry I missed you.
Next year!

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau