Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Huron
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road
Re: Review of my season on Georgian Bay

That was great! Not boring at all. Sailing at night is wicked. If you ever get the chance to sail in calm(ish) water and 8 - 10 knots of wind under a full moon, take it. In those conditions, everything is so quiet and serene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2012

chamonix is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the kind words guys, appreciate the encouragement. I'm planning to do our secound trip, but need to be in the right mood ( and god help us all ). Not as interesting, but hey, a lot more video. Mostly we where on the small craft route, so here's the coles notes to whet your apatite.
Buoy.......buoy.....rock......buoy.......rock..... rock....rock......hey, nice cottage......rock.......buoy.
Old 10-16-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Great write up and worth reading.

We usually take a 3 week trip from our area ( Chesapeake) to the LI Sound and Further north in New England. There are a few long days 70 miles of transit and what we do is get to our furthest point and take our tiem comming back so the legs are only 25 miles at a pop. That is usally 5 hours or so of sailing each day allowing us to get into a harbor/ amchorage, hang out and relax and enjoy it instyead of pushing on hard all the time. Just a suggestion or try something similar.

We also make sure at least a few times we spend a couple of days somewhere to just have some down time.

Great job

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-22-2012

Good advice chef, and that's kinda what we did for our secound trip. We had two weeks instead of one week. Take away the first day to recover from night shift. also the last weekend were we were to join two other couples from the marina for a trip over the labour day weekend.
Decided to not have any real plans, just start heading North up the small craft route in the general direction of Killarny, see how far we could get, then return. Only firm plan was to spend one full day at Beckwith Island, one full day at the Massassuaga Provincial park, and one full day at Parry Sound. Got the idea from reading one of the Flying Welshman's posts.
So off we go.
Old 10-22-2012

First day ( Tuesday ) is from Penetang to Beckwith. This can be a long and tiring sail if the wind is from the Northwest, which is normal. You have a narrow slot between shoals and reefs to the North, and mainland with some major sand spits extending well out into the bay from the south. Usually means close hauled and lots of tacking. That's why, if time is short we usually motor it.
But time is not short. We have all next day( Wed. ) to enjoy Beckwith so we have all day to make it a sailing day( not sure I could have fitted any more "day's" into that sentence, oh wait I just did ). Wind is, of course, from the Northwest, blowing 15 to 20 knots with gusts to about 25 knots. One reef in and we have a great sail. The wind shifts to the North slightly later in the day. It shifts just enough that we only have to tack three times during the trip. I was so engaged in trying to get enough to room to weather to avoid a lot of tacks, that the trip seemed to pass in a flash.

Last edited by chamonix; 10-22-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2012

We hit Beckwith about half a mile south of the anchorage. so the sails came down and we motored the rest of the way. Sorry, just not keen enough to tack out and back.
I was really very pleased, though I was getting a handle on the whole sailing thing. Was sailing at a very close angle to the wind and all that. But, about halfway from Giant Tomb to Beckwith, I noticed a sailboat passing just south of Giant Tomb. By the time we reached Beckwith it had caught up with us. It was another Niagara 35 ( a lot of them in our area ), it was as close to the wind as we were, and it only had it's jib up! Son of a B#$%^!!!
Anyway, Including a bit of video of us motoring to the anchorage, just because I like to see my wife smile. You can see that bastard Niagara pass us in a race to the anchorage.
Old 10-22-2012

Spent all of Wed. anchored at Beckwith. Weather was great, sunny, warm and enough wind to keep you from getting hot. Did the usual. Swim, walked around the island, ate, drank, afternoon nap, swim, eat and drink some more. You get the picture.
Did I mention that Beckwith is my favorite spot, despite the "bounce", and sometimes being crowded. If you replaced the pine trees with palm trees you could be on a Caribbean island. When I'm napping in the cockpit there, I like to think of us heading down to the Caribbean when we retire in six or seven years. Then I think if it does not work out, well we always have Beckwith.

Last edited by chamonix; 10-22-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2012

And another video. Need to stop for a while, I'm finding posting these video's to be awkward and a bit annoying. Note to self: you really need to keep your yap shut when filming.http://youtu.be/5CFq_NQ-XYo

Last edited by chamonix; 10-22-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Keep posting you videos and narratives are great and informing

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-22-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Thanks for posting. These clips of my splashing grounds will have to tide me over for the chilly season.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.