Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Huron
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012

chamonix is on a distinguished road
Re: Review of my season on Georgian Bay

Thanks again guys, but you really shouldn't feed the animals, it just encourages them.
The next day(Thur.) is a leg to the the Massasauga Provincial park. We plan to sail to O'Donnell point, enter the small craft route and motor into the park. Never been on the small craft route before and the charts don't look encouraging. Looking forward to the sail though, as it will probable be this last sailing we do this trip. the rest of our expected route will be on the small craft route. People have told me you can sail parts of the small craft route. But I'm looking at the charts and thinking, no, I'll stick to motoring for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2012

The sail was a bit disappointing though. It wasn't a bad sail, but we've had some great sails this season, and this wasn't one of them. Heading in a North direction, wind from the West at about 15 knots. Should of been a nice sail on a beam reach. However the wind died to about 5 to 10 knots about half way across, and the waves seemed to give the boat an awkward motion. If I had to describe the sail that would be it, "awkward". Didn't really analyse why it should be so until I wrote this down, but here's what I think. When the wind died down it left us with 15 knot waves, but without the 15 knot winds to plant the boat firmly in the water. Thus the awkward motion of the boat, and the awkward sail. Well it's a theory anyway.
We hit O'Donnell point, sails down and motor into the small craft route.
Old 10-23-2012

What can I say about the small craft route( let's call it the SCR ). Nice scenery, lots of big and small islands, lots of cottages to admire, lots of Group O Seven type images. Also lots of rocks, lots of buoys and MY GOD it's very narrow in places, maybe a couple of boat width, if that. And power boats, going full speed through the narrow spots.
What is it with power boats. Your in the wide parts and you don't see another boat. You hit a narrow spot and boats appear out of nowhere to give you a heart attack. Do they hide, hull down, behind a nearby island waiting to ambush poor newbie sailboats passing through the narrows?
Old 10-23-2012

We wind our way along the small craft route and head up into the Massasauga park at Frying Pan Island. The entrance to the park is very, very narrow, and of course, three PWC decide to enter at he exact same time, the buggers. It opens up past the entrance, and while not as well marked as the SCR, It's not that hard to navigate. Still some narrow spots, and you have to watch your depthsounder like a hawk.
Lots of places to anchor or tie up to shore. So many, in fact, that until we entered the park we really didn't know where to go. Once we entered we decided to go to Clear Bay, more by closing our eyes and pointing to the map than anything else. Its about as far into the park as you can go by boat, any further and you need a canoe or kayak.
We wind our way up and into the bay. One other boat there, a sailboat anchored in a small stream outlet. We head to a small cliff face and anchor off that.

Last edited by chamonix; 10-23-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-23-2012

Spend all off Friday at Clear Bay. Good location, very protected, good holding for the anchor. We swim, we fish, we hike and all the rest.
Not all fun however. I'm working on a scientific theory and need to experiment. The theory is that you can estimate your age by the quality of your afternoon naps, greater age=better naps. Yes, the naps are getting better, but I decide that more experiments are required.
We also get a text from our daughter (" dammit Judi, can't you turn the cell phone off"). She has been out in B.C. for the last month and half picking cherries. She is coming home early and wants us to pick her up at the airport late Wed. night. That means we have to be back in Penetang on Wed., shortening our trip by a couple off days. I want to put her up for adoption, but realise that at age 20, it's too late.

Last edited by chamonix; 10-23-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-23-2012

A kind of funny story happens a Clear Bay. We decide to go for a dinghy ride after lunch on Friday.
As mentioned, there is another sailboat at anchor in the bay. So far we have seen no signs of life on board. No lights of any kind had been on during the night, not even cabin lights.
So I'm sitting at the stern waiting for Judi to get ready ( which seems to consist of reading War and Peace, cover to cover ), and I'm thinking as follows. Whats with that boat? Why haven't we seen anybody? Has it been abandoned? Maybe its a solo sailor who's had a heart attack below deck. Perhaps a couple or family that have been affected by Carbon monoxide. Well it's been over 20 hours so they will be well and truly dead by now. Damn, they could have been down in the cabin for days, possible even weeks. This isn't fair, I'm supposed to be on vacation, can't I get away from this crap. Get a grip Steve, you letting your imagination run wild. It could be something simple....like there having a wild sex orgy down below ( for decency ). Nah... that boat looks to be the same size as ours, they would have to be midgets to make that work.
The wife appears. As we're getting into the dinghy I tell the wife I want to check out the other boat, just in case (IN CASE THERE'S A ORGY). About halfway to the other boat someone appears on deck. There upright and healthy. WHEW, vacations back on. " Alright, wild midget sex orgy it was". OOOPS... did I just say that out loud. The wife gives me a withering look. I do some explaining. The wife wonders, out loud, why she married me. I like to be helpful so suggest that, perhaps, she had not been getting any younger, there was nobody else and that she had been desperate. Apparently that was not the case.
Old 10-24-2012

Next day (Sat.) it's time to move on to Parry Sound. Once on the SCR we have a choice of two routes. Down, around and back up Parry Island, or straight up the South channel. Checking the chart, the south channel is a lot shorter, but has some long narrow spots and there may be some depth issues. We haven't decided what route when we leave clear bay.
We wind our way back out of the Massasauga park and reach the narrow entrance. The wife has been at the bow for most of the trip, checking for rocks. As we approach the buoys I'm favoring the green buoy, because that's where both the charts and the chartplotter are telling me the deepest water is. Judi starts waving at me to go to port and I start turning, but it's to late. We get through the buoys but strike a rock on the way through. A check of the boat shows no effect to the boat. From the feel of it and lack of any problems it would seem that we just scraped across the top, but what an ugly feeling. Lucky I was going slow and Judi waved me to port or I think it could have been a lot worse. Still I'm pissed at the rock and pissed at myself, and letting the whole world know just what I think of that $%&*$@#, piece of ^$#@, #!%&^$#@!*&^% rock.
Still, it makes up my mind on which route to use. We've already hit a rock, damage has been done. No use being timid about it, South channel it is.
Old 10-24-2012

We follow the SCR along then branch northeast up the south channel. I know I've stated how narrow the SCR can get, but this is really narrow, and long and narrow. It's a Sat. and people are going to and fro from all the cottages, it's busy.
The wife's loving it. She's checking out the lovely scenery, checking out all the cottages, she's even waving at the power boats ambushing us at the narrows. I'm trying to keep from giving them the finger.
I'm checking the charts, checking ahead, checking the depthsounder and compass, checking ahead, checking the chartplotter, checking ahead, and finally a quick look behind for power boats trying to give us the nautical equivalent of a wedgie. My head's spinning so much I must look like Linda Blair in The Exorcist.
We make it to the swing bridge at the end of the south channel, another first. Had been concerned about going through the bridge, but it was a piece of cake. We're through and into Parry Sound. We radio and get a slip at the municipal docks. As we tie up to the dock the wife says " that was great !". Me, " yeah, it was wonderful". Wife, "what's wrong with you ?". Me, "neck's a bit stiff".

Last edited by chamonix; 10-24-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-24-2012

We've been to Parry Sound before, by road. I like the place. It's probably one of the bigger ports on Georgian Bay, with a big Coast Guard station there. They have the waterfront done nicely despite having a lot of commercial traffic. A number of eatery's, trails and beaches. The towns a bit basic, but then I'm a basic guy, it suites me fine. They have enough business with all the cottages nearby that they haven't gone all "artsy" to attract tourist.
We spend all day Sunday there, wandering around, doing some shopping. We buy a set of nice coffee mugs with Group of Seven paintings on them. There very nice, and for my Mom's birthday. Unfortunately, Judi keeps looking at them on the trip back to Penetang and decides she wants to keep them for herself. Tough luck Mom!!, She's a tea drinker anyway.
Old 10-24-2012

A few other points about Parry Sound. We docked at he municipal marina. Good location in the harbor, water power, showers, BBQ's for use on shore and a shuttle service to a large grocery store for resupplies. Looks like they have spent some money on the place to attract cruisers. About $35.00 a night. Pump out was broken when we were there. Recommend the place.
The video on the last post was taken from an old forest fire spotting tower. At the base is a small museum, covering life in the Parry Sound area. Good presentation for its size. I like history, It's something I think Canadians sadly neglect. So go to the museum if your there.
OOH, forgot, the municipal marina is right next to the Bobby Orr museum ( also has a theater). Go to that too. Must be weird having a museum about you, when your still alive.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.