Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newmarket Ontario
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Re: Review of my season on Georgian Bay
When we got the boat it came with anchor, chain, and rode. The anchor is a CQR. Not the original, but a knock off. No markings on it at all. It's a hefty hunk of metal though, must be about 40 to 45 lbs. Bigger than I've seen on any other 30' sailboat. Had concerns about it. I've heard that while the original CQR's are good, Knock off's are not good.
We started anchoring last year, and sure enough we dragged anchor our first time out. As is usual when things go wrong, some analysis was required. As well as the anchor I identified a number of other problems. The anchor set up had chain, but I had no idea how much chain, I hadn't measured it. It had plenty of nylon rode, but again I had no idea how much. The rode was not marked, so I had no idea how much rode I was actually putting out. And there was no secound anchor.
I measured the chain and found I had 13', short and unlucky. Had about 300' of 5/8 braided nylon rode, I marked it every 20' for the first 160' then every 40' for the rest.
Went to West Marine and bought a fortress FX7, 35' of chain, and 150' of 1/2 nylon rode. Put the 35' of chain on the main anchor. Put the 13' of chain and 150' of rode on the FX7 as a secoundary anchor. Didn't have enough money left to change the primary anchor.
For the rest of last year we had no problems dragging, but in some situations had problems getting it to set. By the end of last season, I felt less than confidant in the anchor.