Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Huron
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012

chamonix is on a distinguished road
Re: Review of my season on Georgian Bay

The non-plan had been to head further north from Parry Sound, but we have only three days left. We decide it's time to head back. We could get back from Parry sound in a day if we push it, two days easily. We opt for the leisurely three days back to Penetang.
We break the three leg trip as follows. Leave Parry Sound, taking the long way around Parry Island to Henry's fish and chips at Sans Souci. Have dinner and stay the night at Henry's. The SCR to Indian Harbor, which is about half way from Sans Souci to Penetang. Then the last leg to Penetang.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2012

When we get up Monday morning it is cloudy, raining and looking miserable. Looks like it will be this way for the rest of the day. The good news is that this is the only wet miserable day we will have for the trip, the weather has been great. We quickly decide to forget the long way around Parry Island, and just head down the south channel.
We miss the bridge opening by 10 minutes. Judi gets on the radio and uses the sweet sultry tones of her voice to get the bridge open again ( at least that's what I tell her ). The south channel is a lot easier the secound time. Plus on a wet Monday morning there is almost no traffic. Once we are out of the south channel, the wife takes over the helm for the rest of the trip. As we approach the docks at Henry's I go to take the helm for docking, but the wife brushes me off and says she will dock the boat.
This is a great thing. It was my idea to get into the sailboat thing, and I want to make sure the wife is not just a passenger. Over the last three years we have progressed at about the same rate, except for docking. She will not dock the boat no matter how much I prompt her. I blame myself. She gets to witness the horror show that is me docking a boat, and this discourages her.
I'm pleased, and of course she does a good job docking, another first.
Old 10-25-2012

Henry's fish and chips is of course a restaurant. They have two locations. One is on Frying Pan Island at Sans Souci, that you can only get to by boat or air. Yes people actually fly in to eat at this restaurant. You can also dock there for the night ( just shore power ). The other location is in Midland, that you can get to by road.
This is a much hyped restaurant. We're not talking anything fancy here, just basic fish and chips, pickerel for the most part. I hate things that are hyped, I'm always disappointed with the reality. However this is one off the few exceptions. I like my fish and chips, and this is some of the best I've ever had. The fish just about melts in your mouth, and the batter is light, crisp and delicious. Lots of it too, which is always a big plus for me.
Not much else to say about Frying Pan Island. We went for a walk to the general store for an ice cream, got disoriented ( I won't say lost, the island is too small to get lost ) and wandered about for an hour.
http://youtu.be/-jm4I20f_yA

Last edited by chamonix; 10-25-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-25-2012

hey, whats the deal with the video? How come it sometimes appears on the post and other times it's a link? Is it just a role of the internet dice, or am I doing something wrong ( more likely ). I seem to be doing the same thing every time, but get different results.
Old 10-25-2012

The next day the wind is blowing hard ( 20+ knots ). Forecast says it will moderate in the afternoon. The SCR is sheltered, which is the whole point of it, but there are some open parts that could be uncomfortable. We're in no rush, it's only 2 to 3 hrs to Indian Harbor, so we decide to hang around Henry's till the afternoon. I check to see if a morning nap is as good as an afternoon nap. It's not.
Afternoon arrives and the wind is increasing not decreasing, but its time to shove off. Not much to say about the trip, a bit rough at times, but we've seen a lot worse this year. After the south channel to Parry Sound, the SCR is looking like a four lane highway. Got to admit I prefer the SCR when it's calm, that way you can spot the rocks and reefs in case you drift of course.
We make Indian harbor about 4:00 P.M.
Old 10-25-2012

Not much to say about Indian Harbor either. Sheltered from all directions and good holding and that's about it. I have to admit I'm prejudiced though. When we first got there we dropped the hook in the middle of the anchorage. Quickly found out that a sub-section of the SCR goes through the middle, and that we were a navigation hazard. Moved to one side of the anchorage and dropped the hook again. Felt it was to exposed to the wind blowing through the entrance. Moved again to the other side of the anchorage and dropped the hook for the final time.
The damage had been done. After dropping the hook for the third time, I was feeling no love for the place.
Old 10-25-2012

Left Indian harbor next morning, on our final leg and final day. I'll side track a bit here.
On every leg, on both trips, the plan was to get up and depart early. Apparently for us, an early departure is 10:00 A.M. This is my fault. I'm just not a morning person, it takes me a while to get going.
So we depart early( 10:00 A.M.). We come out of the SCR northwest of Beausoleil Island, and it feels good to be in deep water without obstructions again. We make Penatang just after lunch.
We've had no pump out or fuel since we left, so we head to the fuel dock. I check the pump to see how much fuel the boats used, it's 19 L ( about 4 gallons ). That's it? Only 19 L? We motored just about all the way to Parry Sound and back and only used 19 L. I let out a roar of triumph, " TAKE THAT, POWER BOATERS". Forget all the touchy, feely, at one with nature stuff, THAT'S WHAT MAKES SAILBOATS GREAT.

Last edited by chamonix; 10-25-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-25-2012

Just a few more post on some general observations over the season. Then this massively self-indulgent blab fest will be over.
Old 10-25-2012

When we got the boat it came with anchor, chain, and rode. The anchor is a CQR. Not the original, but a knock off. No markings on it at all. It's a hefty hunk of metal though, must be about 40 to 45 lbs. Bigger than I've seen on any other 30' sailboat. Had concerns about it. I've heard that while the original CQR's are good, Knock off's are not good.
We started anchoring last year, and sure enough we dragged anchor our first time out. As is usual when things go wrong, some analysis was required. As well as the anchor I identified a number of other problems. The anchor set up had chain, but I had no idea how much chain, I hadn't measured it. It had plenty of nylon rode, but again I had no idea how much. The rode was not marked, so I had no idea how much rode I was actually putting out. And there was no secound anchor.
I measured the chain and found I had 13', short and unlucky. Had about 300' of 5/8 braided nylon rode, I marked it every 20' for the first 160' then every 40' for the rest.
Went to West Marine and bought a fortress FX7, 35' of chain, and 150' of 1/2 nylon rode. Put the 35' of chain on the main anchor. Put the 13' of chain and 150' of rode on the FX7 as a secoundary anchor. Didn't have enough money left to change the primary anchor.
For the rest of last year we had no problems dragging, but in some situations had problems getting it to set. By the end of last season, I felt less than confidant in the anchor.
Old 10-25-2012

Going into this season I had already decided to get a new primary anchor. But change it to what? While I was making up my mind we did a few weekend trips. Anchor set fine both times. Both times the wind did a 180 in the middle of the night and on one of the occasions it was with 20+ knot winds. The anchor held like a rock. I went mmmh, maybe I hold off on a new anchor for now.
We anchored more this season than we ever have. Just about every time we anchored the wind switched direction in the middle of the night. In one case the wind did a 180 in the middle of the night, then switched 180 again by morning. Some high winds as well.
In every case the anchor set on the first try, and set almost immediately. In every case it held like a rock. As the season ends, I now have a high degree of confidence in our primary anchor. So I guess we will keep it.