Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Huron
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012

chamonix is on a distinguished road
Re: Review of my season on Georgian Bay

Next item is the weather. My observations on the weather need to be qualified. We have been out on the water more this year than the last two years combined. It's very likely that the weather wasn't much different this year, we just noticed it more.
It seemed to me that the wind switched directions a lot this year compared to the last two. In the previous years I felt you could count on a northwest wind to blow for 3 to 5 days before it switched. This year I don't think I saw the wind blow from any direction more than two days running.
It also seemed as if there were more high wind days and less low wind days than the previous years. Again, I may very well be mistaken on this. Perhaps others can give their impressions.
Last is water level. After the labour day weekend the water level started to drop, and it's been dropping ever since. The last time I was at the marina it looked like it had dropped about 3 to 4 feet. Was talking to a guy today who's boat is in Lake Ontario. He says Ontario has dropped about 3 feet. If Huron and Ontario has dropped 3' then I have to assume Erie has dropped by about the same amount. That's a lot of water. Where the hell did all that water go?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2012

A bit of a postscript. For our last trip we were to anchor out with two other couples from the marina, over the labour day weekend. We decided to go to Beausoleil Bay on the east side of Beausoleil Island. We meet one of the couples, Jack and Roberta, at the docks Friday afternoon. We head out on our boats. Another high wind day and a short sail, so both boats just roll the jib out. We hit the first set of buoys on the east side of Beausoleil, roll in our jibs and start our engines. Jack and Roberta are in front of us. As they go through the buoys their jib comes back out. Jack has been complaining of engine problems. It quits then they have a hard time starting it. When I see their jib roll back out I assume, correctly, that their engine is acting up.
They don't miss a beat. They thread there way up the channel and into Beausoleil Bay. It's the long weekend. The bay is packed with anchored boats as well as the usual rocks scattered about. They weave there way in, out and around the rocks and anchored boats under jib alone. Jack picks his spot, drops anchor,pops the cap on a beer......like ho hum just another day in paradise. I'm impressed. Actually, my jaws dropped so much it's bouncing off the binnacle. Judi and myself still have a great deal to learn.

Last edited by chamonix; 10-25-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-25-2012

So the whole reason for writing all this down is to give me the perspective to answer one question. The North Channel next year, yes or no?
I'm not sure. I think we can do it safely and competently. But I want more than that, I want the confidence to really enjoy the trip. Well I have all winter to decide, and this thread for a reminder and some perspective.
Old 10-26-2012

The last post is an apology to any members or moderators who stumble across this thread. I realize this is a forum and not a personal blog. I live a boring and mundane life. I have nothing interesting to say about anything. So a blog is a waste of time. However, I felt the need to get this season down on paper ( so to speak ), for the reasons stated earlier. Again, my apologies.
Old 10-26-2012

Oh, one last thing. Considering how often I got my vowels reversed while writing this, I think I might have a mild case of dyslexia.

THE END
Old 11-05-2012

ChristinaM is on a distinguished road

As a new sailor out of Penetang (since mid-August), I found your posts useful. It's tough to figure out where we should head and how long to expect it to take, so your experiences are definitely useful.

I'm jealous of a few spots to made it through. With 6'1 draft, there's no way I'll be taking the south route into Parry Sound or tucking into Beausoleil Bay. Even being cautious, we lightly tapped a rock that the chart still maintains is 8' down. Even the depth sounder agreed that it wasn't shallow enough to reach with the keel.

And I concur about the powerboats in the SCR. Having been a wakeboarder, I thought I was being made to atone for past sins but that can't be the case if they're sneaking up on you too.
Old 11-05-2012
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamonix View Post
So the whole reason for writing all this down is to give me the perspective to answer one question. The North Channel next year, yes or no?
I'm not sure. I think we can do it safely and competently. But I want more than that, I want the confidence to really enjoy the trip. Well I have all winter to decide, and this thread for a reminder and some perspective.
Once you go to the North Channel you will not want to leave. Georgian Bay doesn't compare to it at all. There are so many more anchorages and beautiful spots in the NC. Leave early in the morning, plan your course and enjoy your adventure...you can do it safely in a few days weather permitting. There is no other place I would rather sail than in the NC and I am currently living in the tropics.
Old 11-06-2012

To Seamonkey, yeah, I'm sort of edging towards going to the north channel next year. Your post is making it more attractive.
To Christina, the south channel was better than I thought it would be, depth wise. The width of the channels and power boaters were more of an issue. There was one spot though, 6'1" draft, I don't know, it would be very close. It looked like a sand bottom though.
As for Beausoliel Bay, again, not bad except for one spot. At one point my depthsounder was showing less than 5', against our 5'6" draft. Weeds were the culprit, so I have no idea what the actual depth was. I was freaking though.
If the drop in water level continues into next year, all bets are off.
Pulled the boat a couple of weeks ago so got to see what the damage was from hitting two rocks this season. Not to bad. No damage to the hull or keel/hull joint, but a nice big chunk missing from the bottom leading edge of the keel. If the water level remains the same, I might not bother even fixing it, I'm bound to hit something else.
Old 11-06-2012

ChristinaM is on a distinguished road

We anchored near the main campground at Beausoleil and took the dinghy into the little bay to see what the depth would be like. Hard to tell how much water is between all the weeds. Even if there's enough depth, which I doubt, it's so tight in one spot that there's no way my heart would stay into my chest getting in there.

I'm not too concerned with the south channel. The outer SCR way into Parry Sound was really nice and easy to sail through. (It might be Waubuno channel, my charts are still aboard and I don't remember. Basically coming in to the SCR at O'Donnell's Point going north and staying west of Parry Island.) The last thing I want is to get a few hours into the SCR to find out I've got to turn around.

I can only hope the water level goes up. My boat got stuck trying to get into Beacon Bay in August before I bought her, hence moving to Bay Moorings. Even at Bay Moorings the fuel docks are scary. The depth sounder reads 5-6' because of the weeds but they say there's a sandbar in the entrance near the breakwall. I hope I never find it.
Old 11-08-2012

The depth at Bay Moorings, overall, is very good, perhaps the best in the Midland/Penetang area. That's why there are so many sailboats at that marina. The area of the fuel dock is the shallowest point, but I've never had a problem. First time I've heard of a sandbar near the entrance. From talking with Mike at the office, it seems that they will be doing some dredging in the spring, probably at the fuel dock area.
In case I didn't mention it, we are at Bay Moorings as well, make sure you say hello in the Spring. Slip 323, you'll know the boat when you see the name. You'll like the marina, plenty of other sailors around to lend a helping hand and give advice. In my opinion, the best marina in the area for sailboats. We need to get FlyingWelshman over here, rather than that powerboat hole over at Wye Heritage marina. You listening Welshman?