SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Review of my season on Georgian Bay

16K views 80 replies 11 participants last post by  ChristinaM 
#1 ·
Wrote out a review of my season more for my benefit than anyone else's. Pretty boring stuff really. But of course after all that effort the system would not let me post it. What a complete and total waste of my time, so screw it.

#4 ·
All right. I'll try this again, put it on multiple posts on this thread. Its more for my benefit. When we bought the boat three years ago I had a sort of plan on how to proceed. Year one was to spend most of our time at the marina taking day sails. the objective was to learn how to sail.
Year two was much the same but with overnight trips thrown in to get the hang of anchoring and living on the hook( sort off).
The third year was to be a big year. the objective was to spend more time on the hook, travel further afield, and to do some extended trips up to a week or longer.
The ultimate objective is to get more comfortable cruising then head up to the North Channel.
So this was a big year for us and that is why I'm putting it down in righting. I need to evaluate how we did ( we being the wife and I ). More posts to follow. Put in some links to video's, just to keep it interesting in the odd chance someone else looks at this. If you look at the video's ignore my comments. I talk a lot of nonsense, I feel I need to talk but am more focused on taking the video than what I'm saying.

#5 ·
So what made this a big year? Well it was the number of " first's " . First year we've spent more time on the water than at the marina. First time out of the Severn Sound area and into Georgian Bay proper. First time docking at a strange port. First time on the small craft route. First night transit and sail, to name a few.
As stated we spent more time on the water than at the marina. Actually on looking back we did spend more time at the Marina than I thought, but most of that time was spent doing maintenance on the boat. When we where at the boat to relax, we were out on the water.
The highlight of the season was two extended trips. One a trip around the southern half of Georgian Bay for six days. and the secound to Parry Sound and back. I'll cover the two trips next.

#6 ·
The first leg of the the first trip was from Penetang to Hope Island. Rough trip with wind from the North at about 20 to 30 knots. The waves between Hope and Giant tomb Island were nasty. Due to the direction of the wind and time we motored the whole way ( wanted to relax and check out hope island ). Never been to Hope Island, I find Beckwith so nice that I just can't be bothered continuing to Hope. After staying at Hope I still prefer Beckwith despite the " Beckwith Bounce ". Hope seems to be a more exposed anchorage,and not as pretty. We past Hope again on the way back on a Sunday morning and there must have been 50 to 60 boats anchored there.

#7 ·
Secound leg first trip was from Hope island to the town of Thornbury at the very southern end of Georgian Bay. Was looking forward to this leg, the winds are usually from the North West making a nice beam to broad reach sail. In my mind this was to be the big sail of the trip. Did not work out that way, winds from the South and light, so we motored the whole way again. So why Thornbury? Friends of my wife ( actually all "our" friends are friends of my wife, I don't have nor feel the need for friends) took a trip there and said it was great. Ever since, when ever I ask my wife where we should go, she says Thornbury. In truth this whole trip was to get that monkey of my back.
Thornbury was nice. Stayed at the Municipal docks. Good set up but expensive, aprox. $70.00 for one night. Nice town with a nice waterfront. Has a damn with super fish ladder, good trip to take in the fall to see the salmon and trout climb the fish ladder. Had a great meal at a Scottish pub called the Damn Pub. Mussels in a coconut curry sauce, haggis and mashed spuds washed down with a nice single malt.
All in all found the town a bit to "artsy" for my taste, all the stores are the type that are decorated tastefully. So tastefully that you are not sure whats for sale or even what the hell their selling.
The bad news was that it started raining shortly after we arrived and continued until the evening of the next day.

#8 ·
Next leg was to Colpoy Bay on the East side of the Bruce Peninsula. This is North West of Thornbury and another 20 to 30 miles. As stated the winds are usually North West, so I figured we would have to motor it. I was right. the winds shifted back to the Northwest. Rainy, low clouds, pretty miserable. It's amazing how the lack of sun can put a damper on the whole mood of sailing. I lived my early life in a rainy place, rain is normally like comfort food for me, but not when on the water. Another first was hooking up the auto pilot and actually using it. Its an ancient belt driven thing that came with the boat. Surprise, surprise, I figured out how to put it together, it worked, and it made a big difference to our comfort this leg.
Our anchorage was half way down Colpoy Bay. Kidd bay off White Cloud Island to be exact. Good secure anchorage with a nice view of some of the Bruce Paninsula's rock formations. One other boat there, a Niagara 35.

#9 · (Edited)
Next day it is off to Wingfield basin to the north. Small craft warning in effect, winds from the East 15 to 20 knots. Waves 1 to 1 1/2 meters. So we motor out of Colpoy Bay and into some pretty big waves. Not as big as on our first leg, but that was only for an hour and heading straight into them. This is another 20 to 30 miles with the waves on our beam.
We decide to turn around, as we head back in the Niagara is heading out. From a distance it looks like a power boat it's throwing that much spray from it's bow. As its passing we (OK, me) decides we are just being wimps, so we turn back around and head for Wingfield. As we leave the Bay, again, a big Hunter passes us and puts up it's sails! Right, That's it for me, we have not sailed since we began this trip and I'm sick of motoring. Sails up, reef in, and off we go on one of the best sails we've had since we started sailing. Its amazing how the sails smooth out the ride over the waves.
I'm posting some video we made. Even I've got to admit the waves seem tame compared how they seemed that day. Noticed it on other video's I've seen. Whats with that?

#10 · (Edited)
OK so we make Windfield basin about 5:00 PM. I was concerned about the entrance, looked narrow on the chart with range markers to guide you in. Turns out it's buoyed as well. Very protected anchorage. Nice lighthouse to go visit, the remains of an old steamer, and a flock of ducks that go from boat to boat demanding a free meal.
Turns out the Niagara 35 from Colpoy Bay was there. Told them that we were turning back when we saw them heading out and that caused us to turn back towards Wingfield. They told us that when they saw us turning back, they were very close to turning around themselves.
The next morning we were to leave for a long leg back to Hope Island ( about 40 to 45 miles I think ). Unfortunately the wind was still strong from the East with good sized waves. The forecast was calling for the wind to switch back to the West and decrease later in the afternoon. We were on a bit of a schedule and had to leave that day to be back at Penetang on Sunday. Original plan was wingfield to Hope on Saturday, hope to Penetang on Sunday. New plan, leave Wingfield Saturday afternoon, sail through the night, anchor and sleep for 4/5 hours at Hope Sunday morning, and then back to Penetang. Only problem, never sailed or motored at night before.

#12 ·
So it's a night crossing. There's nothing between Hope and Wingfield to be concerned about, however I'd rather not reach the Hope/Christian Islands in the dark. A quick map recce and time estimate suggest we leave in the early evening rather than the afternoon.
We leave at 7:00 PM, wind is from the Northwest, can't remember the strength, about 10 to 15 knots I think. Despite the lighter wind the waves still seem large. Noticed that on the bay proper it doesn't take much wind to create large waves.
We motor for an hour to make sure the batteries are charged up then put up the sails. Since this was our first night crossing I had already decided to use the jib alone. That way we would not have to leave the cockpit. As we were now on a run this made even more sense to eliminate any accidental jibes.

#13 ·
I had set up the autopilot but was concerned about the amount of power it would draw, so I had it energized, but we would only turn it on if we needed a break. This was also wise in that the waves were creating a rather uncomfortable motion. The bow would go through a 30 degree arc either side of our course every time a wave passed, which was often. The autopilot ( and ourselves ) had to work hard to keep up. So the night passed. Had to run the engine to charge the batteries at about midnight. On a side note my wife was surprised that the moon set at about 1/2:00 AM. She thought the moon was up all night long. I gave her a withering look.
At first light we were about an hour short of Hope Island, which was fine by me. The batteries need charging again so we fired up the engine. As it happened the wind had been creeping around from the Northwest back to the East all night long. We started off on a run and were now close hauled (the winds a bloody sneaky thing). As the sun came up the wind died completely, so the engine came on, sails went down and we motored the rest of the way into the Hope Channel (channel between Hope and Christian/Beckwith Island).

#14 ·
We got into the channel and saw the anchorage at Hope, as stated earlier there must have been 50 to 60 boats anchored. We looked at each other and between the two of us decided to just keep on going to Penetang, and so we did, with the lake looking like a mirror it was so calm. Reached Penetang about 11:00 AM. The End. Applause please.
A few day's later while reviewing the trip in my mind I reached some conclusions as follows. I was pleased and happy with the trip. I felt that we had reached some important personal benchmarks (sailing wise). The trip had went well with few problems. But the truth was I didn't really enjoy it. I felt we never took the time to relax and were always on the move, a classic tale of to much in to short a time. Judi felt the same way (Judi being the wife). This had a big impact on our next trip. To be continued whenever I feel like it.

#18 · (Edited)
OH,OH,OH,OH. Also forgot another first. First time I've felt the need to plot a course and distance on a chart, rather than just using pilotage and the chart plotter. At the beginning of the night leg, the chartplotter turned itself off a couple of times for no reason I could tell. So we kept a running plot on the chart just in case the thing crapped out completely. Sad to say the thing worked fine for the rest of the night. Happy to say the estimated distances were pretty accurate.

#19 ·
I did not find that boring at all. Thank you for posting and reminding me how beautiful Georgian Bay is. I look forward to sailing it again soon. My wife and I sailed our first sailboat a Grampian 26 from Collingwood to Little Current about 8 years ago. We had hit weather within hours of leaving Collingwood on our way to Beckwith. Waves were 8-10 footers, the wind was on our nose and I thought I would never sail again. We had anchored at Hope I believe and the next morning it was sunny and 10 knot winds....perfection!!!! Went through the small craft route near Point of Barrell, then off to Killarney and then Little Current. It was one of the best weeks of my life.

#20 ·
Sounds like you had a great season. Sorry I missed you.
Next year!

#22 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys, appreciate the encouragement. I'm planning to do our secound trip, but need to be in the right mood ( and god help us all ). Not as interesting, but hey, a lot more video. Mostly we where on the small craft route, so here's the coles notes to whet your apatite.
Buoy.......buoy.....rock......buoy.......rock.....rock....rock......hey, nice cottage......rock.......buoy.

#23 ·
Great write up and worth reading.

We usually take a 3 week trip from our area ( Chesapeake) to the LI Sound and Further north in New England. There are a few long days 70 miles of transit and what we do is get to our furthest point and take our tiem comming back so the legs are only 25 miles at a pop. That is usally 5 hours or so of sailing each day allowing us to get into a harbor/ amchorage, hang out and relax and enjoy it instyead of pushing on hard all the time. Just a suggestion or try something similar.

We also make sure at least a few times we spend a couple of days somewhere to just have some down time.

Great job

Dave

#24 ·
Good advice chef, and that's kinda what we did for our secound trip. We had two weeks instead of one week. Take away the first day to recover from night shift. also the last weekend were we were to join two other couples from the marina for a trip over the labour day weekend.
Decided to not have any real plans, just start heading North up the small craft route in the general direction of Killarny, see how far we could get, then return. Only firm plan was to spend one full day at Beckwith Island, one full day at the Massassuaga Provincial park, and one full day at Parry Sound. Got the idea from reading one of the Flying Welshman's posts.
So off we go.

#25 · (Edited)
First day ( Tuesday ) is from Penetang to Beckwith. This can be a long and tiring sail if the wind is from the Northwest, which is normal. You have a narrow slot between shoals and reefs to the North, and mainland with some major sand spits extending well out into the bay from the south. Usually means close hauled and lots of tacking. That's why, if time is short we usually motor it.
But time is not short. We have all next day( Wed. ) to enjoy Beckwith so we have all day to make it a sailing day( not sure I could have fitted any more "day's" into that sentence, oh wait I just did ). Wind is, of course, from the Northwest, blowing 15 to 20 knots with gusts to about 25 knots. One reef in and we have a great sail. The wind shifts to the North slightly later in the day. It shifts just enough that we only have to tack three times during the trip. I was so engaged in trying to get enough to room to weather to avoid a lot of tacks, that the trip seemed to pass in a flash.

#26 ·
We hit Beckwith about half a mile south of the anchorage. so the sails came down and we motored the rest of the way. Sorry, just not keen enough to tack out and back.
I was really very pleased, though I was getting a handle on the whole sailing thing. Was sailing at a very close angle to the wind and all that. But, about halfway from Giant Tomb to Beckwith, I noticed a sailboat passing just south of Giant Tomb. By the time we reached Beckwith it had caught up with us. It was another Niagara 35 ( a lot of them in our area ), it was as close to the wind as we were, and it only had it's jib up! Son of a B#$%^!!!
Anyway, Including a bit of video of us motoring to the anchorage, just because I like to see my wife smile. You can see that bastard Niagara pass us in a race to the anchorage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.