Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Michigan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Milwaukee area marinas

We've got 11 days this summer to make the trek across Lake Michigan from Grand Haven to the Wisconsin shoreline. The closest direct line port would be Milwaukee. I crossed last year and stayed at the South Shore Yacht Club. However, I found the club to be too far from the downtown to enjoy all that Milwaukee offers. Can anyone recommend another marina/anchorage in the Milwaukee area for 3 or 4 days?

Alternatively, is there somewhere else we should head to in Wisconsin instead of Milwaukee? I know many will recommend Door County, but I'm not sure it's do-able with our time frame and starting location of Grand Haven. Please let me know if you think otherwise. I suppose we could head north to Pentwater or Frankfort and then cross to Door County. But this would at at least 2 days to both ends of the trip, if not more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
KW,
McKinley Park Marina on the North Side of the Breakwall System is a very nice marina. We stayed there last year for one night. It is right in the heart of the Park with lots to do right around there. A quick walk up the bluff and you are on a city street with lots of nightlife and restaurants. I forget the name of the street, but it’s an old town Milwaukee favorite.
We hopped in a cab and had a very fine dinner at the world famous Mader's German Restaurant. The Schnitzel was outstanding.
The Marina is very clean and has what I would call a small town feel in a big city. When you enter the Marina, it is divided into (3) sections with a ton of mooring balls right in the middle of all the slips. It can be a bit confusing and if I remember correctly, my charts were not accurate but my plotter was.

Simply pull up to the fuel dock and check in at the office. They are very helpful and the staff was first rate. I would say however, that this was one of the more expensive transient fee's I have seen. I think our overnight stay was around $65.00

Here is a link to McKinley Marina.........http://www.county.milwaukee.gov/BoatingampMcKinleyMa9139.htm>>

Port Washington is the next stop going North, If you like small town atmosphere, than this is the place.

Racine is a very fine marina just to the South of Milwaukee.
It has much more to offer than Port Washington, but not as much as Milwaukee. Downtown shopping is a short walk away and the Marina has a pool to relax in.

Have fun on your cruise and don't forget Muskegon on July 11.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Last edited by sailortjk1; 06-03-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.