Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Michigan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2010

SchoonerSailor is on a distinguished road
Wood boat question?

Hi,
I am new to Lake Michigan recently moved here from Seattle on Puget Sound.
I have owned many wood boats including a 93 foot ship.
I want to get another boat someday if ever I can afford one again.
I do love Ferro boats which most hate as they dont really understand them.
But, I find it hard not to have a wood vessel. I just love them.
Now I heard about bubblers etc which I imagine would cost a fortune all winter and I dont want to pay for a boat I cant sail. That is the only thing so far I dont like about the lakes... such a short sailing season.
SO...I see people hauling out wood boats for winter here. Now back home, we only take them out for bottom paint and get them back in as fast as we can. If out for very long we tack burlap on the hull and keep them wet all the time. So I just cant see how they can be out all winter here.
I mean, the planks on a carvel boat would either dry out and all the seams would open up, or, they would freeze which is even worse. Then thaw and pop the seams. Have to be re-corked up again which is expensive and a pain even though I have my own mallet and irons and can do it myself. VERY hard work . I rarely see wood boats here. So no one can answer me.
Also, I had hoped to find just ONE of the original ( not remakes) of the old cargo schooners left around. Sadly, none found yet. But I mean, they didnt take them out of the water now. What does the Appledore and the other big schooners/ training ships do in winter?
I guess I will buy a small plastic boat, sail the lakes awile and them move back to Salt water and buy another wood ship. Wood boats dont like fresh water really. Be awesome for a steel boat though !! If I could only force myself to like the cold hard things. And to not sail in winter which I like doing.
But I came here to sail the lakes and so what ever it takes, just wish I could do it in a wood boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I'm in saltwater but I winter in, and sometimes freeze in. I don't use a bubbler or ice eater. The ice only rubs the paint at the waterline. I also sail in winter, and keep the boat in to preserve the wood.
Old 03-18-2011
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
As to the original OP's question just for info of people reading this thread. South Haven has some very nice Marinas, with clean bathrooms, pools, etc.
Even the municipal marina rents seasonal slips and their BR's are very clean.
Others are River Noir YC, Black River YC, Oak Harbor. All those have nice amenities and range in $1,800 to $2,700 for a 28' to 36' slip.

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]