SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Best Marinas in West Michigan?

15K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  EJO 
#1 ·
Hi All -

Previously I had always had my boat (now sold and now in the extremely fun process of looking for another) at Torresen Marine in Lake Muskegon. Though the wife didn't particularly like their crappy bathrooms, rusty metal docks, and general "boat yard" feel.

I am looking for another marina within a reasonable driving distance form Grand Rapids. Something a bit nicer for the woman. Comfort is of high importance. Especially bathroom / shower facilities.

Yacht Basin Marina in Holland doesn't look bad - does anyone have experience there? Any other marinas I should look at?

Expected boat (once we find the perfect one that is) is ~28-30 feet or so and ~5' draft.

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Eldean's in Holland on Lake Macatawa is one of the nicest marinas anywhere on the Great Lakes. Believe me, that is not an exaggeration or an understatement. Beautiful Flower Gardens and landscaped grounds, Pool, Hot Tubs , Club House, Extremely Clean Showers (the showers and facilities in our bath house are floor to ceiling ceramac tiled; nicer than most homes) and Laundry. All of this in a Full Service Marina with Travel Lift and Yard services. Beautiful docks (fixed) all a short distance form the main channel and within easy access to the big lake. Fuel and pump out docks. Well staffed with friendly and experienced crew. Many of our dock neighbors are from Grand Rapids.Take a look at thier website by following the below link....
Michigan Marinas, Lake Macatawa Mi marina and boatyard - Boat Slips, Service, Winter Storage and Slip Rental - Eldean's first class marina and resort facilities, Southwestern, south west north Southeastern

Here is a pic of the washrooms..

some typical pic of the grounds.....

and the docks....

you will not find anything nicer anywhere in Western Michigan...

#3 ·
We're on Lake Erie but went to Eldean's when we were boat shopping. It's top notch, and the setting is idyllic. I don't recall seeing a nicer marina (that wasn't a private club) on the Great Lakes, and we went all over while boat shopping, including Chicago and Toronto.

#4 ·
Wow - Eldeans does look amazing. Might have a hard time getting the woman to come home again ;)

Any ideas as to the cost? The website say the "total savings" for a boat of the size I am looking at is 1200 bucks....

With that moch of a potential "savings" I am a little scared to ask what the cost is :p

#6 ·
Uh oh... Now it sounds like if you have to ask, you can't afford it :p

I will admit, in the past I went for the cheapest marina I could find. I went for the best sailing boat I could justify.

Now? The boat has to be a dock queen. The marina has to be at least comfortable. Still it is hard to too much for a rental space.

Oh well, will call them and see what they say.

#7 · (Edited)
Sea Penguin,
For a 28' - 30' foot I think you can expect to pay around $3,000.00 for the season. Our slip fee is right around $3,500.00 and we have cable TV. Cable is an additional and is not part of your basic slip fee. Some boaters choose to have it and some don't.
I am pretty sure that you will find the price to be in line with many of the other marinas in the region; such as Tower in Saugatuck and North Shore in Grand Haven.
Another plus for choosing Eldean's is the Full Service Yard and Service Department.
In the Fall (Coming up real soon), you simply tell the yard when you are ready to be hauled out.
They take the boat from there and the next time you arrive you will be safely sitting on your cradle. In the Spring, tell them whan your ready and schedule a date and the next time you arrive at the boat you will be safetly tied up in your slip.
Need work done, in the water or on the hard? Send them an e-mail and it will be done.
BTW, we are still in the water, If you want to take a look around before Nov. 1st, let me know and we can show you around a bit.

#9 ·
I own a slip at Anchorage Marina on Lake Macatawa in Holland where several slips are available to rent, including mine next season. Anchorage has nice bathroom and shower facilities, laundry, pool, clubhouse. It's on the north shore of Lake Macatawa, about a mile from the Lake Michigan channel. Check out the website: www.AnchorageMarine.com

Anchorage Marine Services will haul out and service your boat. Winter storage is available on site.

#11 ·
Wood boat question?

Hi,
I am new to Lake Michigan recently moved here from Seattle on Puget Sound.
I have owned many wood boats including a 93 foot ship.
I want to get another boat someday if ever I can afford one again.
I do love Ferro boats which most hate as they dont really understand them.
But, I find it hard not to have a wood vessel. I just love them.
Now I heard about bubblers etc which I imagine would cost a fortune all winter and I dont want to pay for a boat I cant sail. That is the only thing so far I dont like about the lakes... such a short sailing season.
SO...I see people hauling out wood boats for winter here. Now back home, we only take them out for bottom paint and get them back in as fast as we can. If out for very long we tack burlap on the hull and keep them wet all the time. So I just cant see how they can be out all winter here.
I mean, the planks on a carvel boat would either dry out and all the seams would open up, or, they would freeze which is even worse. Then thaw and pop the seams. Have to be re-corked up again which is expensive and a pain even though I have my own mallet and irons and can do it myself. VERY hard work . I rarely see wood boats here. So no one can answer me.
Also, I had hoped to find just ONE of the original ( not remakes) of the old cargo schooners left around. Sadly, none found yet. But I mean, they didnt take them out of the water now. What does the Appledore and the other big schooners/ training ships do in winter?
I guess I will buy a small plastic boat, sail the lakes awile and them move back to Salt water and buy another wood ship. Wood boats dont like fresh water really. Be awesome for a steel boat though !! If I could only force myself to like the cold hard things. And to not sail in winter which I like doing.
But I came here to sail the lakes and so what ever it takes, just wish I could do it in a wood boat.

#13 ·
As to the original OP's question just for info of people reading this thread. South Haven has some very nice Marinas, with clean bathrooms, pools, etc.
Even the municipal marina rents seasonal slips and their BR's are very clean.
Others are River Noir YC, Black River YC, Oak Harbor. All those have nice amenities and range in $1,800 to $2,700 for a 28' to 36' slip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.