Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Michigan
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010

aae991 is on a distinguished road
Racine Marinas

Does anybody hear have any experiences (good or bad) with the marinas in Racine. I'm strongly considering renting a slip for the summer for my Com-Pac Eclipse and am torn between Reefpoint and Gaslight marinas. Reefpoint had some negative reviews on another website (not a sailing-only website).

I considered the Racine Yacht Club, but can't justify the expenses this year for the amount of time I have available.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2010

bogdog is on a distinguished road
We are in the same boat (pun intended) as you. We are new to Racine as of last sept. moving down from Sturgeon Bay. We met lots of great sailors so far most from reef point. They are a friendly group and all speak very highly of their marina. The Racine yacht club is also very friendly and the slips are nice, the showers are a bit on the basic side, but the price is sure right about $1400. The Racine riverside marina has a bridge that opens on the 20 min. to deal with but the place has very nice, but not as nice as R. point, accommodations. We made the decision and are on the waiting list for a slip at riverside $1650. We liked everybody we've met there so far. If one doesn't come available the yacht club will be our 2nd choice. Reef point is definitely pretty but the deal breaker was the price, about $3800 for our 37.5' boat. We won't rule out where we will be next year after we get a season under our belt in racine. So far a real nice area closer to where we live and so much less motoring to get to sail-able water.
Old 02-03-2010

aae991 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your reply. Did you take a look at Gaslight Marina? They're offering discounts on first-time slip rentals. Since our boat is under 25', we obviously don't need a big slip, but their price is about $300 more than Reefpoint ($1360 vs. $1099 for shorter slips). My only concern with Reefpoint is we'd be located either right next to the gas dock or right next to the bar/restaurant area. Neither of those locations thrills me. Gaslight is smaller and very close to the shops and restaurants in Racine. Gaslight is also quite new and seems to take very good care of their facilities.

By the way, did the Racine Yacht Club offer you a slip without membership? The slip prices are great, but I was under the impression you had to be a full member to rent a slip for the season. If not, they will move up on my list!
Old 02-04-2010
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
Check out my reply under the other discussion you started on this topic: Racine Area Marinas.

I don't think being near the gas dock would be so bad given the traffic situation. It is not constantly busy by any stretch of the imagination. I don't think you want to be close to the restaurant/bar. Two issues: Noise on the weekend and the smell from the trash compactor. For whatever reason, it is located in a place that puts it too close to the first floating dock for my taste.

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes
Old 02-04-2010
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
Regarding the gas dock slips, try to get one of the most eastern ones and you won't have hardly any traffic. Once in a great while, a very large transcient boat (75 feet plus) has to tie up down there. But then you will get a close up view of what everyone else has to get in their dinghies to see up close.

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes
Old 02-07-2010

bogdog is on a distinguished road
Sorry to take so long to post a reply. Been busy enjoying winter stuff. The yacht club slips do require a paid membership, but its not that much, $400 I think. They also require spending X amount at the club as well. Not a problem because they have a great restaurant/bar (at least it will be after July 5th when they have to go non smoking). Their Sunday brunch is out of site. Lots of friendly members and racing fun as well. We plan on checking out the other slip possibilities you listed as well. We are having 2nd thoughts about Riverside for other reasons that may or may not affect our decision. We will want to stay in touch with all our Sailnet friends to make sure we all enjoy the much anticipated up coming sailing season. Stay tuned. Bog

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.