SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Lake Michigan (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/lake-michigan/)
-   -   2 a.m. swim proves deadly (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/lake-michigan/67093-2-m-swim-proves-deadly.html)

turban10 08-06-2010 08:46 AM

Breaking News out of Chicago...

"A group of boaters got themselves in hot water Friday morning when they went for swim and their boat drifted away.

Two men are still missing somewhere in Lake Michigan after slipping into the water for a moonlight dip and losing track of their 26-foot sailboat. Two women who were with them were rescued this morning by a passing fishing boat, said Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Robert Perez.

The women were treading water since 1 a.m. They were rescued about two or three miles from shore near Burnham Harbor this morning at around 6:30 a.m. when a passing boat spotted them in the water.
he women were taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in serious to critical condition, police said. Police are looking for two men who were with them.

Coast Guard officials, citing preliminary information, said the four individuals went for a late-night swim and their boat drifted away."

Wow, just wow. The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.

sailingdog 08-06-2010 09:13 AM

Going swimming, late at night, in the Great Lakes, from a boat that isn't anchored or moored properly is just stupid. I am willing to bet that alcohol was involved. Given the water temps in the Great Lakes, hypothermia is an issue.

I am guessing the two men are Darwin award winners.

turban10 08-06-2010 09:16 AM

When stupid people do stupid things like this happen, it is inevitable that lawmakers feel the need to make oppressive laws that try to "protect" us from ourselves.

I agree with you sailingdog, i almost guarantee that alcohol was involved. I just can't image that the skipper would think that not having anyone onboard would be a good idea.

MC1 08-06-2010 09:28 AM

"Newbies" can also make this mistake, not realizing they may not be able to keep pace with a boat being blown away from them.

I think there's a anecdote in Bob Bichin's book 'Lost Soul' about everyone going for a swim mid-Pacific ocean with some sail inadvertently left up, and how they were extremely lucky they didn't pay for that mistake with their lives.

rockDAWG 08-06-2010 09:52 AM

I feel sad for the family and wishing they find comfort somehow. But no doubt, this will happen again in other place and in other time.

Life goes on.

emoney 08-06-2010 10:04 AM

It is sad, because any way you cut it, somebody lost a son; and maybe a
father or a brother or an uncle or a nephew and most definitely a friend.
Unless you're spending time in a padded room in a controlled environment,
alcholol can cause life choices that result in ultimate punishment.
We should always have our guards up.

jjablonowski 08-06-2010 11:11 AM

2 a.m. swim proves deadly

One Dead, 2 Rescued In Lake Michigan Mishap - cbs2chicago.com

CapTim 08-06-2010 11:36 AM

taken from another thread, here's a news story:
One Dead, 2 Rescued In Lake Michigan Mishap - cbs2chicago.com

My nomination for most ironic part of the story: the "Editors Pick" at the bottom was for another of the newspapers articles, 'Top 10 Smartest and Dumbest Dog Breeds'.

Also, that's a shame. Never good to read about an accident.. even an avoidable one.

dhays 08-06-2010 12:31 PM

When I was a kid 'sailing' with my Dad on a hot day with no wind, I suggested that I jump in for a swim. He told me that if the wind picked up even a little, I wouldn't be able to swim fast enough to catch the boat even with bare poles. We were in a 21 ft swing keel at the time.

I had the advantage of growing up sailing since I was 5 years old with parents who were both excellent sailors. I learned a lot from their instruction and experience. If I hadn't had that experience, and I was out on a boat on a lovely, hot and humid night on the great lakes with a couple of attractive females and a few beers in me, I can imagine that I would have thought it was a great idea to suggest that we all shed our clothes and have a quick swim.

Here are some guesses. The victims were young. They were drinking. The only reason the women survived is that they would most likely have had a higher body fat % and may have been able to avoid hypothermia longer than the men. The women also likely had a lower alcohol blood level than the men.

Dave

cormeum 08-06-2010 01:00 PM

Letting everyone go swimming at the same time is a big mistake. I'll bet they were drinking too.