SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Lake Ontario winter haul options

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Degas 
#1 ·
I know we're still dreaming of the coming 2014 sailing season up here on the Great Lakes, but I'm in search of a home on Lake Ontario for next winter (winter of 2014/15). We are moving our boat down from Lake Superior this season (if the ice ever leaves our Lake :(), so I need a new place to haul and store.

I'm looking for recommendations of good marinas and yards on the Canadian side of Lake Ontario. I'd prefer to be closer to the east end of the Lake, even up the river towards Montreal, but anywhere is fine.

We need:

• A yard that can handle our 37 foot, full-keel, 30,000 pound (15 tons) sailboat.
  • Jackstand rental. The boat easily sits on its keel, but I need stands.
A mast crane is also useful (I may remove the stick), as is yard services, but these are not necessary. I would also prefer a yard that allows DIY, but again, that is not necessary.

Feel free to post here, or send me a private message, or even an email if you prefer: pachinamia at helplink.com

See less See more
#4 ·
My experience so far has been positive. I can report back after I launch in a month or so. The winter package cost last year was 2.80/sq ft. For some reason they considered my cradle "a little too small" and offered two extra jackstands for free, so I'm sure you would be able to figure something out.

#10 ·
Late to the show but I hope this helps.

I just bought my Tanzer 29 to have fun on Quinte & PEC.

Before buying I did a bunch of research for winter storage and a summer slip. There are other places on the east end of Lake Ontario but here are the ones I checked out:

Iroquois Marine Services: 5 minutes off the 401, big fenced storage yard with electricity and water, diesel, transient docks, mast crane, bathrooms/showers, a couple of shelves of chandlery essentials. Not sure of the travel lift capacity but there are some comparably-sized boats to yours. It's a bit out of the way from the popular 1000 Island spots. The town of Iroquois itself is lovely but tiny, with no chandlery or even a hardware store.

Kingston Marina: Downtown, pretty much as full service as it gets. Big fenced storage yard with electricity and water, diesel, gas, pumpout, transient & seasonal docks, mast crane, bathrooms/showers, travel lift, crane, even a dry dock. 10 minute walk to amenities including West Marine.

Crate Marine: Next to downtown Belleville, also full service. Big fenced storage yard with electricity and water, diesel, gas, pumpout, transient & seasonal docks, brand new 50-ton travel lift, a satisfactorily stocked chandlery, bathrooms/showers/laundry, mechanics, fiberglass repair/detailing, canvas. 15 minute walk to amenities. No mast crane but I'm told that the sailboat owners at the marina get together to rent one as needed.

#11 ·
Thanks for the update Degas, and congrats on the new boat. We left Belleville a few years ago now, but if we're staying I was considering moving down to Bath's Loyalist Cove Marina. The prices looked good and we ran into a few people who had nothing but good things to say about the operation. Small, DIY yard. Something to consider if you're in the area.

#13 ·
Maybe wandering off-topic now but if you don't mind a trip down the St-Lawrence, this might help future searches.

Kenmont Marine: On the South Shore canal of St-Lawrence Seaway with a view of Montreal, 10 minute drive from the infamous Mercier Bridge. I stored my boat here for 6-7 years. Big fenced yard with electricity and water, interior storage too, mast crane, travel lift, porta-potty, security guard. 5 minute drive to amenities. No nearby chandlery, no docks, no fuel, no pumpout, no transient or seasonal dock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.