Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Ontario
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012

miketucker is on a distinguished road
Good Places to Dock around Toronto

I sail in Toronto out of the NYC on a Hunter 36, 4'11" shoal draft keel. We often tie up to the wall at Hanlan's Point, but I'm always keeping my eye out for alternative places to tie up, be it for a few hours or just to drop off/pick up passengers.

I found one good spot immediately to the West of the Ferry docks. There are bollards to tie up to, and a sign saying you're not allowed to leave your boat for more than . . . I forget the number, but around an hour or two. It's a great spot to pick up passengers who are coming by public transit, or anyone who misses your departure time.

I've been eyeing the concrete wall on Ward's island in the Eastern gap. I'd love to be able to spend some time at that end of the island, there is a nice little restaurant that the kids like, with great little trees for climbing, and a nice beach. There are large dock bollards along the wall, so obviously it was once used to tie up boats, but the concrete looks to be in pretty bad repair, and I'm afraid to bring my boat in there in case there is a lot of junk piled up on the bottom. Anyone ever tried this? I don't have a dingy, so anchoring by the beach in the outer harbour and motoring in, as I see many people do, is not an option for me. I'm also a little worried about the wakes that get kicked up by boats coming through the gap.

Another one I've been thinking about is using the gas dock at the Toronto Island Marina to drop off (short-legged whiny) passengers for a day at Centerville. I could then go tie up at the wall and walk over to meet the rest of the family, saving them the 1.5km hike each way.

I've never tried going into any of the yacht clubs on the island. I don't have a full membership at NYC, so I'm not sure reciprocal privileges would apply to me. Anyone have any experience with this?

Any other secret spots around the city that are worth checking out while out sailing?

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Good Places to Dock around Toronto

Generally you need a full (senior) membership in one of the yacht clubs on Lake Ontario to get reciprocal privileges in other clubs. I think the reciprocal system on the lake is terrific so long as it is not abused.
Old 09-07-2012

JordanH is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike... I'm a crew member at NYC, and my boat and I are full members at EYC. My understanding is that you couldn't have a boat at NYC if you weren't a senior member. So, the question is, how are you sailing from NYC if the boat isn't there under a full member? Are you sailing someone else's boat? I suspect that the boat is at the club under a full membership and if that is the case, fly the burgee and visit some other clubs.

The idea of a reciprocal club is that someone has paid for that boat slip and facilities at a similar club. If that's the case, then there's no problem.

I wouldn't get close to the eastern wall of the island. It is crumbling and the wall has spilled out towards the channel; This is somewhat marked with white buoys. Who knows how bad the damage is or how far it extends.
Old 02-27-2013

hamburking is on a distinguished road

Reciprocal priveledges are definitely the way to go.

IYC has a beautiful club, filled with trees, nice restaurant, and a great pool.
Very friendly club. I visited there last summer.

Tags
docking , toronto