Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Superior
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeOReilly

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2015

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
St Mary's River

Hi all, I'm starting to plan for next-years season. We are probably heading up to Mackinac (from Penetanguishene).

I've been giving some thought to poking up into Eastern Lake Superior as we'll be (sort of) in the neighbourhood.

I am trying to establish the feasibility of motoring up the St Mary's River. From what I understand it is about 67 nm long. I also understand that there is a significant current (running 2 1/2 to 3 kn) that can increase when the sluices are opened.

Has anyone made this up-stream journey? I expect that it would be at least 30 hours of motoring, against a current, in a narrow seaway, with lots of commercial traffic. Is this a pretty accurate description?

Would this be worth it? I would only have 1 - 2 weeks to spend in Superior once I got there.

Any insight will be appreciated.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2015

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: St Mary's River

I've done the trip a few times, up and down. It's not that hard. I've seen up to 3 knots of current at times, but only in a couple of narrow areas. Mostly the current is not that noticeable. There can be a lot of freighter traffic, but it's only an issue in some of the narrow sections around Needish Island or as you approach SSM along Ferry Island. These are relatively short stretches, so you can usually get through without having to share the channel with the big boys. If you have AIS, it's easy.

Going up, I've started early from Milford Haven anchorage. If I'm in a hurry I've pushed all the way to Bondar Marina in the Sault. I prefer to either anchored or docked near/at Richard's Landing. The marina there is a sweet little operation. Great people. Cute little town. Can get busy in the summer though. Once in the Sault, take the Canadian locks up to Superior. It's easy, fast and free.

With two weeks on Superior you'd be able to get to some pretty spectacular spots on the Canadian side. Anchorages are bit thin until you get up to Batchawana Bay, but after that they become more plentiful. Sinclair Cove is a great spot. Gargantua, Warp Bay, Indian Harbour ... lots.

If you get a good weather window a great trip would be to jump from Whitefish Bay to Michipochoten Island. It's an 80+ nm jump, but Quebec Harbour is a well worth the visit. Three wrecks, sandhill cranes, a qhost town fishing village. Love it. From there you could jump back to the east shore, and hop your way back down to SSM.

Despite cruising on Superior for eight years, I have never traversed the American southern shore from Bayfield to Whitefish Pt., so I can't comment on that. There are a few nice communities and ports along that shore, but not much in the way of anchorages.

Make sure you get a copy of Bonnie Dahl's Superior Way. It is THE guide for Superior. The Great Lakes Cruising Club is another good source.

Happy to share more info flyingwelshman. Anything I can do to help, just ask.
flyingwelshman likes this.
flyingwelshman (01-01-2015)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.